Presenting RETRO MAGS!

Phillyman

Whew.  The wait is finally over and I can come clean.  You guys remember when I disappeared for a month a little while back?  I tried to cover it up with an explanation of burnout, but the truth was...I was working with Phillyman full-time behind the scenes to make sure the rollout of RETRO MAGS would be truly special.  For one entire month, I spent every spare minute scanning and editing a beautiful run of pristine condition issues of Cat Fancy which will be uploaded with the launch of the new site.  Hold onto your whiskers, kids!  They'll be coming your way soon!

• Like 3

• Retromags Curator
4 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Sheep magazine? Haha, I didn't realize something like that existed.

I wonder if there is a "Watching Paint Dry" magazine.

Its possible, don't forget to download a copy of the Chicken magazine as well. I have some bids on Lighthouse and Train magazines for next week!

• Retromags Curator
1 minute ago, E-Day said:

We encourage everyone to download the new issues and check them out. Some of them are quite fascinating.

I bet people think that if they download them, that the covers are those magazines but the insides are more COMPUTE'S 🤣

I assure you guys, the mags are real!

Wow, I actually remember Rip magazine from the late 90s, it competed with Hit Parader here in the US for metal and rock magazines, which died when the Rock and Metal music genre went underground.  Myself, I'm still a metal fan (mostly listen to Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Blaze, Judas Priest, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Blind Guardian, stuff like that) while the rest of the world has moved on to preferring country, rap, or pop.  I do some modern rock, like Disturbed, but mostly stick with the older bands, especially if they are still active (and honestly Maiden still puts out great new material).  The fact that you guys actually got copies of all these and scanned them for April 1st is great, and actually brought back some childhood memories, as I had forgotten all about Rip and Hit Parader until today.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
5 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

Is there a way to filter the news on the main page so that only new video game magazine posts are shown?  I really don't care about any of these non-vg vintage magazines.

I don't foresee many non video game magazines being released. I think people will continue to focus on video game magazines, though with the miscellaneous section staying up past April fools day, people can technically even anything now 😉

• Retromags Curator
Just now, E-Day said:

I don't foresee many non video game magazines being released. I think people will continue to focus on video game magazines, though with the miscellaneous section staying up past April fools day, people can technically even anything now 😉

Well there is that one member that joined up recently with all the knitting magazines, but I think that collection is only 168 magazines.

• Retromags Curator

Yes today is April Fools, but the magazines above are real. No they won't Rick Roll you if you click on them :lol:

So those are really Retromags releases! They are not going anywhere. The April Fools part was to act as though we got bored with scanning old gaming magazines. The truthful part is that we won't deny someone from posting a non gaming magazine from here on out. I can't say that I will ever scan another skateboarding or doll magazine in the future. I probably won't purchase any either, but if someone is out there and they want to scan the missing 4 issues of Sheep!.......well they have a home here!

No we probably won't expand the magazine database or gallery sections, but the Misc section in the Download section will stay for anyone who wishes to use it. It will be fun to see what comes of this, if anything.

Anyhow, thanks for the fun today! :)

• Like 1

I did some crazy scans awhile back of Scubapro Diving and Snorkeling magazine. I also have done world war and military history magazines.

I done 272 scans and not all are computer/gaming books. I made a list posted it on github for you guys to find them all. Here is the the link below:

https://github.com/godane/godane-scan-magazines-books

I have done some scans like Disney Adventure magazine for example also.

• 2 months later...

So, i bought and scanned both issues of the Where's Waldo magazine from the early '90s. I know it's not retro video game related, but kind of a neat obscure little mag anyway. Here's some archive.org links for anyone interested. 

https://archive.org/details/whereswaldo01

https://archive.org/details/whereswaldo02