New Release - Final Fantasy VII Official Strategy Guide

E-Day

Someone needs to post the early early strategy guides where nobody was allowed to use any official art and the cover for the Super Mario 64 guide was just a drawing of his eyes.  And then there was that weird Ocarina of Time guide that was kinda a guide but also a novel?  They did the same thing with a bunch of Pokemon games.

I thought the Versus version of the guide was better overall. No spoilers, and some really unique materia combinations. Funny to see that people have dissected that game to the point that Emerald Weapon can be defeated by a level 7 Tifa, no joke.

• 7 months later...

Bought this guide before I owned the game. Couldn't afford Playstation so it was the next best thing. Beautiful pictures. Was one of several released for the game. Afterward Square and other companies formally began monetizing guides and making their games so obtuse at points as to require them for certain tasks (infamous password in Tales of Destiny comes to mind). They forbade any companies except officially recognized publishers from creating them in print. A step towards the decline of the industry, sad to say.

8 hours ago, E-Day said:

I'm sure there is a comic book reader app for Android and iPhone. 

There are (although I can't imagine trying to read comics on such a small screen.) 

However, I'm guessing that the OP doesn't own a PC (otherwise, why would anyone want to look at a strategy guide on a phone?).  If you buy a comic through a comic reader app like Comixology, they are readable through the app.  But if you download them from elsewhere (as in, anything pirated), you usually have to connect your phone to a PC in order to manually place the files in the correct folder to be read by whatever app you're using.  Without a PC, how would you get the file transferred to the right location on your phone to be read by the app?   Or maybe I'm overthinking it...😅

9 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

There are (although I can't imagine trying to read comics on such a small screen.) 

However, I'm guessing that the OP doesn't own a PC (otherwise, why would anyone want to look at a strategy guide on a phone?).  If you buy a comic through a comic reader app like Comixology, they are readable through the app.  But if you download them from elsewhere (as in, anything pirated), you usually have to connect your phone to a PC in order to manually place the files in the correct folder to be read by whatever app you're using.  Without a PC, how would you get the file transferred to the right location on your phone to be read by the app?   Or maybe I'm overthinking it...😅

Ya I was able to find an app that does the cbz format. And you are correct, I don't have a pc at home. I had a labtop but my wife was using it and my son who was 3 at the time dumped water all over it. Then it pretty much became the kids labtop lol. Now its completely broke.

21 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Modern phone operating systems allow you to download arbitrary files using the phone's web browser and choose which application to open them with. iOS can definitely do this and I can't imagine Android can't.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:40 AM, vgmax said:

Bought this guide before I owned the game. Couldn't afford Playstation so it was the next best thing. Beautiful pictures. Was one of several released for the game. Afterward Square and other companies formally began monetizing guides and making their games so obtuse at points as to require them for certain tasks (infamous password in Tales of Destiny comes to mind). They forbade any companies except officially recognized publishers from creating them in print. A step towards the decline of the industry, sad to say.

Bradygames did get pretty big there for a while, but... while I can't speak about other countries, in America you can't forbid someone from printing such a book, that's part of free enterprise and freedom of the press. You, as a game developer or publisher, CAN authorize a specific book or publisher as the "official" guide, and have it be marketed as such.

I have this book, and I used to have the Versus guide as well. The Bradygames guide was "official" and I seem to recall the Versus guide being advertised as "unauthorized" on the cover. Didn't stop either book from being published, and both had their merits. I actually preferred the Versus version myself, was informative without spoiling the game. :)

7 hours ago, vgmax said:

Final Fantasy VII's release was one of my fav hype efforts. Seeing Cloud on the Harley Daytona on Pepsi box... never see anything that cool again.

That was on a Pepsi box? Very cool, can't say I ever saw that at the store in my area. I used to have a bunch of the Star Wars Pepsi cans, until I moved back up to Wyoming, and had some of my stuff stored in the garage. Wanna know what happens to unopened pop cans when temps reach -25F? Heh, they open themselves. What a gross mess we discovered months later!