The donation to end all donations

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

Last month, member CIVICMINDED contacted us on Facebook asking if we'd accept a magazine donation. A massive magazine donation, spurred on by me getting the Fujitsu scanner.

The massive donation turned out to be 577 pounds of magazines; 12 boxes. Thousands of dollars worth of magazines donated to the site for scanning.

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0022.JPGDSC_0023.JPGDSC_0024.JPGDSC_0025.JPGDSC_0026.JPGDSC_0027.JPGDSC_0029.JPGIMG_20190409_000852724.jpg

There is some really good stuff here. The first seven pictures are just from the first box I opened. I have inventoried four boxes worth of magazines, which so far is 326 magazines. The last picture shows the four boxes and all the rest of the stuff that needs to be inventoried surrounding them.

An insane donation on its own. But on top of that, CIVICMINDED paid the $1,200 freight shipping to ship them across the border to Canada where I live. Needless to say, insanely generous and insanely expensive. As such, we would like to start a small donation drive to help offset some of the cost that CIVICMINDED paid in shipping. So if you're able to help out by donating to help cover the shipping, even a bit, please do.

UPDATE: Phillyman is sweetening the deal, for every $50 donated you will be entered in a chance to win either a Super NT or Mega SG console. Read more below

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator

Just an incredible mind boggling donation of magazines! This has to be the largest and most diverse magazine lot donation to date. This is also probably the largest migration of USA magazines to Canada in history 🤣

Any help is appreciated in helping to offset this massive shipment of magazines. I have already pledged $100, and hopefully we can find 11 more members that can also do so. Anyone who pledges $100 or more will be moved to our Eternal Patron group.

I am also thankful that E-day could receive these, as my wife would divorce me if this showed up at our doorstep :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Retromags Curator

I also donated; not as much since I now have to buy a heavy duty paper cutter.

Thankfully my wife is a dork and likes organizing things, so she helped me sort the magazines by publication last night and started entering them into Excel for me. The work continues tonight!

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

So I am going to sweeten the deal, for every $50 donated towards the CivicMinded Donation Goal, you will be entered to win EITHER a brand new Super NT OR a Mega SG!

Obviously E-day and Myself are excluded from this contest, so that leaves 21 "Tickets" at $50 each to win one of these new consoles. If you pledge $100 you will have a 2 out of 21 chance of winning your choice of one of these consoles.

megasghero2.jpgsuper-nt-classic.jpg

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
4 minutes ago, hardcorehubz said:

Such a fantastic donation! CIVICMINDED you are my hero! Just donated to help out but I did get an error but it looks like it processed?

If you need any fellow scanners to help with this massive pile let me know. 

I got the donation, very curious about any error messages you guys get. If you remember it let me know, or if anyone else gets an error screen shot it and PM me the image.

• Retromags Curator

CivicMinded Donation Drive Contest Slots.

• Slot #0 ($0 - $50) - Phillyman (Not Participating)
  • Slot #0 ($51 - $100) - Phillyman (Not Participating)
  • Slot #0 ($101 - $150) E-day (Not Participating)
  • Slot #1 ($151 - $200) Hardcorehubz
  • Slot #2 ($201 -$250) Kremdog
  • Slot #3 ($251 - $300) Kremdog
  • Slot #4 ($301 - $350) Ethereal Dragonz
  • Slot #5 ($351 -$400) badinsults
  • Slot #6 ($401 -$450) badinsults
  • Slot #7 ($451 - $500) JhonnyD
  • Slot #8 ($501 - $550) famiconsumer
  • Slot #9 ($551 - $600) famiconsumer
  • Slot #10 ($601 - $650) Rajen17
  • Slot #11 ($651 - $700) Rajen17
  • Slot #12 ($701 - $750) Rajen17
  • Slot #13 ($751 - $800) Rajen17
  • Slot #14 ($801 - $850) Rajen17
  • Slot #15 ($851 - $900) Rajen17
  • Slot #16 ($901 - $950) jonphilmitch
  • Slot #17 ($951 - $1000) perfinpuz
  • Slot #18 ($1001 - $1050) sean
  • Slot #19 ($1051 - $1100) sean
  • Slot #20 ($1101 - $1150) sean
  • Slot #21 ($1151 - $1200) sean

Once Slot #21 is full, I will print off all names, put them in a hat and draw a name. Will post the video on Youtube and here! :)

• Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator
11 hours ago, Phillyman said:

Funny thing is I am still planning on driving to meet E-day this summer and bring him a few boxes of my collection as well 🤣 It will be about a 9-10 hour drive from DC to Canada, and I was planning on bringing around 300-500 magazines with me.

I better get busy then!

• Retromags Curator

The piles are gone. Everything is catalogued and organized back in the boxes for easy retrieval. Below is the spreadsheet detailing everything that was sent.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Atyk-cuOCnWLnP006RkzC4J7UB8ILw

In short: 865 unique issues, 896 total issues, 58 Player's/Strategy Guides. To quote Bob Cole, "Ohhhh, baby!"

• Like 1

So from a rough quick glance, it looks like there are around 200 issues listed that we do not have on the site, so there are some gaps that this fills.

I am not sure how many more issues E-Day and Philly actually have in a box somewhere that have not been brought out.

Unfortunately that large swath of Game Informers can't be added on the site :-(.

This is great news for everyone here, I know.  CivicMinded is awesome and I'm not taking anything away from the amazing-ness of this donation. 

But I've come to realize that I joined the wrong website by accident.  Could someone please direct me to the website for people who scan and enjoy reading PC gaming mags?  Because that donation is batting 0 for 954 on that front.   😭

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
8 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

So from a rough quick glance, it looks like there are around 200 issues listed that we do not have on the site, so there are some gaps that this fills.

I am not sure how many more issues E-Day and Philly actually have in a box somewhere that have not been brought out.

Unfortunately that large swath of Game Informers can't be added on the site :-(.

There are also a bunch of scans that are very old and can use an updated version. A lot of the early Nintendo Power issues fall into that category I think. The majority of my own stuff that I have to scan is GamePro and a small number of original run Game Player's. Phillyman has so much stuff and so many boxes, he doesn't even know what he has :P

Once Game Stop ceases to exist and/or Game Informer goes down, we can probably revisit that publication.

• Like 1