Scanner update

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

So last month members here were extremely generous and donated enough money for me to get a Fujitsu ix1500. Getting that scanner resulted in CivicMinded sending me around 950 magazines and guides to scan at great expense. Now THAT has caused something else.

Last week, seeing the insane magazine donation, Hardcorehubz asked if I was open to selling the ix1500 in order to get the Fujitsu FI-7160, with him covering the difference. That's an obvious decision to make.

So the Fujitsu has been returned, Hardcorehubz has sent the money to me, and the 7160 is getting ordered tonight. It's a heavier duty scanner that can take more pages and is made for heavier workloads, so it should serve me and this site very well.

So with that and a heavy duty paper cutter, getting through the CivicMinded magazines will be pretty easy.

Now who wants to help edit? 😋

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The IX1500 is really their consumer level scanner while the Fi series machines are rated for higher throughput and support both ISIS and Twain drivers. ISIS capable software like Quickscan Pro allows for batch processing using different profiles for different magazines. I highly recommend ISIS drivers over TWAIN if you have the software like that to take advantage of it. 

• Retromags Curator
3 hours ago, hardcorehubz said:

Am I the only maniac with 3 scanners? 🤪

I have four now, two of which I need to Craigslist.....

• Fujitsu ScanSnap IX500 (ADF)
  • Epson V370 (Flatbed)
  • Canon LiDE 110 (Flatbed)
  • Canon LiDE 110 (Flatbed)

The Canons I need to get rid of, they are just cheapo $50 scanners from back in the day.

• Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, Phillyman said:

Lets send it to @Areala along with a few boxes of magazines :P

I'm not averse to acquiring another scanner. The one I currently have is a flatbed all-in-one printer/scanner combo from Epson that is about 13 years old. :)

*huggles*
Areala

14 hours ago, hardcorehubz said:

Is the benefit of ISIS scanning speed? I experimented a little bit with my Fujitsu but didn't notice any quality improvements unfortunately.

It's all about volume scanning. The hardware is the hardware so nothing differs at that level, but ISIS allows for individual profiles per page size. My Avision using TWAIN only has one profile, whatever you last set is it for the next scan unless you change the profile. On my fi-5650c I have multiple profiles covering all the different page sizes etc and I just choose the appropriate one for the mag and just press GO and let it do its thing.

I have:

• Fujitsu fi-5650c
  • Fujitsu fi-6130
  • Avision AD240
  • Brother MFC A3 flatbed all-in-one
  • Brother something or rather useless document scanner

All bar the fi-5650c could go tomorrow and I couldn't care less. The 5650c is a beast of a scanner and simply awesome

Edited by KiwiArcader

@KiwiArcaderAhhh I see that could be handy! I got annoyed with the weird compression that kept happening no matter what my settings with Paperstream and ScandAllPro. I was about to give up and return my 7430 but I tried Scansnap and it worked without adding the ugly compression artifacts despite JPEG being my only option.

@Areala If you're interested in it I can try and hook it up and make sure it works properly. If it does it's yours if you just send me money to ship it.

• Retromags Curator
25 minutes ago, hardcorehubz said:

@Areala If you're interested in it I can try and hook it up and make sure it works properly. If it does it's yours if you just send me money to ship it.

If the scanner works, and wont require a ton of money to replace out rollers or whatnot. Let me know what the shipping cost is to get it out to Areala and I will cover it.

• Retromags Curator

I guess I should also find out how large this thing is before there's any talk of shipping, since I don't have a whole lot of room in my little office area for a beastly-sized piece of hardware. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Retromags Curator
4 minutes ago, Areala said:

I guess I should also find out how large this thing is before there's any talk of shipping, since I don't have a whole lot of room in my little office area for a beastly-sized piece of hardware. :)

*huggles*
Areala

11.9 x 7.99 x 8.4 in

11.02 lbs

:P

Well interesting results...

It seems to streak quite a bit which is annoying, i've gotten it cleaned up pretty well where it's reduced but it's still happening on probably 30% of the scans. 😞 I may keep tinkering with it to see if I can improve it.

However the quality is better than my Fujitsu, it's very noticeable in darker areas where the Fujitsu still does some sort of compression. It is however MUCH slower.

I dunno, these Epson's may be the way to go for quality...

Top Image is the Fujitsu, and the bottom is the Epson.

temp.jpg

temp2.jpg