E-Day

Scanner update

Recommended Posts

It produces a better image, but it's streaking like crazy. Dunno if they all do that could be just because this one is used. The newer models seem to use CIS instead of CCD too. Odd that they went to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I posted the scans, all I did was assign the profile to the Epson I calibrated and auto leveled in Photoshop. With the Fujitsu all I did was auto level as well. Both were saved at 90 JPEG Quality in Photoshop from their original TIFFs. They are here - https://www.gamingalexandria.com/scantest/

The Epson does better in darker areas, the Fujitsu just refuses to capture these without doing some sort of compression, even with Scansnap (Though it's much better via Scansnap). I even tried a RAW scan from Vuescan and it still had some compression artifacts which makes me think the Fujitsu's have something in their hardware doing... something to cause this. I tried contact support about it a month ago but they weren't much help unfortunately.

There is some weird resizing going on though and I'm not sure which is more correct... the Fujitsu scans to my eyes seem correct? I also measured and they were closer to the actual measurements than the Epson. Makes me think the Epson is doing some sort of resizing, or maybe it's the Fujitsu. I'm just not sure how to know.

I've cleaned the Epson like crazy and it's still streaking though which is unfortunate. Are they all like that? Who knows, but this one has about 10k scans total which isn't much. I have no idea how long it's been sitting though.

Anyway the Fujitsu's are still great scanners, they just aren't as great in dark areas. Will your average person even notice? Probably not. If this is just a lemon Epson though and they don't normally streak like this and they are resizing the pages improperly these are fantastic cheap ADFs on eBay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also added my IT8 card scans. You can see how the Fujitsu doesn't clearly pick up the darker shades along the left where the Epson does. This is why the profiling fails on the Fujitsu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hardcorehubz said:

Okay I posted the scans, all I did was assign the profile to the Epson I calibrated and auto leveled in Photoshop. With the Fujitsu all I did was auto level as well. Both were saved at 90 JPEG Quality in Photoshop from their original TIFFs. They are here - https://www.gamingalexandria.com/scantest/

When posting reference pictures for comparison purposes, it would be best not to alter them in Photoshop at all.  And as an FYI for anyone out there considering editing mags, auto level should never be used in the editing process.

4 hours ago, hardcorehubz said:

There is some weird resizing going on though and I'm not sure which is more correct... the Fujitsu scans to my eyes seem correct? I also measured and they were closer to the actual measurements than the Epson. Makes me think the Epson is doing some sort of resizing, or maybe it's the Fujitsu. I'm just not sure how to know.

You're right, to my eye the Epson scans have wildly distorted the aspect ratio of the page.  That alone would disqualify that particular scanner from being useful for our purposes (unless you simply have it configured incorrectly and it can be corrected to do a proper scan).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure i was just throwing it together quickly to show the obvious. Yeah it's too bad both scanners have flaws the other one doesn't, but what can you do. Glad you agree with the Epson resizing, I don't notice anything that would cause it to do that by default but I haven't played with Epson Scan much with this. Maybe it's the auto sizing that's distorting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems awfully strange for a scanner to change the aspect ratio of an image.  I'd place my money on something being configured incorrectly, but I obviously have no way of advising you on how to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2019 at 4:44 PM, hardcorehubz said:

It produces a better image, but it's streaking like crazy. Dunno if they all do that could be just because this one is used. The newer models seem to use CIS instead of CCD too. Odd that they went to that?

I was looking at an Avision AV5200 which uses CIS to replace the fi-5650c but after reading up about the differences in quality between CCD and CIS scans I decided against it. CCD appears to be better for photographic reproduction while CIS is better for text oriented pages according to a few sites so it seemed better to stay with CCD. That and the non-straight paper path ADF dropped the Avision purchase dead in its tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, E-Day said:

It's here already. 

 

IMG_20190423_213903773.jpg

If you want Quickscan Pro to try with this thing let me know. The software was discontinued some time ago so I have no qualms about giving it to you (mine isn't legit anyway). It doesn't have built in drivers for the fi-7 series (only goes to fi-6xxx) but there is an import driver feature so it should allow you to add yours. Worth a try anyway. The ScandAll software on the CD is pretty horrible as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, that wound be great. I installed the software that came with the scanner, but I'm not sure what I would actually use from all the stuff that installed. Rhythm hosting the software was a pain because it seemed like I could only update one component at a time. 

So what is it that I need to use this thing properly? I'm hoping to run some test scans on it tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KiwiArcader said:

I was looking at an Avision AV5200 which uses CIS to replace the fi-5650c but after reading up about the differences in quality between CCD and CIS scans I decided against it. CCD appears to be better for photographic reproduction while CIS is better for text oriented pages according to a few sites so it seemed better to stay with CCD. That and the non-straight paper path ADF dropped the Avision purchase dead in its tracks.

Yeah I really want to avoid CIS if possible, i hate that it seems all the low end stuff only has this as an option. I'm sure it's for cost savings but it sucks. Hell my flatbed Canoscan 9000F Mark II just died over the weekend and I went to buy a new one and they apparently discontinued them late last year and I can't find a new one anywhere. They also apparently aren't replacing it with a new model which seems stupid. I may have to go with an Epson V550 I guess but I really loved my Canon. I have an Epson 10000XL but it's slower and it lacks edges to catch my ruler with on two sides so that's annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hardcorehubz: If you don't mind me asking - you seem pretty serious about scanners.  So since you're not scanning game magazines, what is it you use all those scanners for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mainly scan game boxes, manuals and carts for my site www.gamingalexandria.com but now that I have this nicer ADF I'd like to get into doing more magazines as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I avoid CIS now too, especially with the neon colors on mags, they just dont come thru.....at least on the cheaper models.

Canon Lide 110 (CIS)

CANON-110.jpg

EPSON V370 (CCD)

EPSON-V370.jpg

Fujitsu iX500 (CIS)

FUJITSU-IX500.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

I avoid CIS now too, especially with the neon colors on mags, they just dont come thru.....at least on the cheaper models.

Fujitsu iX500 (CIS)

 

FUJITSU-IX500.jpg

I thought this was the scanner you use?  You're using something else now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kitsunebi77 said:

I thought this was the scanner you use?  You're using something else now?

I still use the ScanSnap, I loves it, I just traded in my dual Canon Lide 110s for a Epson v370 :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that a raw scan from the Fujitsu?  I can't tell since it's so low-res.  Or has it been edited (and oversaturated)?

If I do any more tutorials, I'm gonna start with one all about the evils of saturation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, E-Day said:

Sure, that wound be great. I installed the software that came with the scanner, but I'm not sure what I would actually use from all the stuff that installed. Rhythm hosting the software was a pain because it seemed like I could only update one component at a time. 

So what is it that I need to use this thing properly? I'm hoping to run some test scans on it tonight. 

PM sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So using the basic ScanSnap for fi Series program, I've already scanned over 10 issues of GamePro that I have had debound for over a year. Everything looks superb, though I do want to try Quicksna Pro as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the scans look good that's all that matters. Quickscan is all about applying customised profiles for different paper sizes for bulk scanning. If Snapscan works for you then go for it......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.