New Release - Game Player's PC Buyer's Guide Volume 2 Number 5 (November/December 1989)

E-Day

Awesome, thanks a lot !

The release date can't be January 1990, as it is supposed to be displayed until the 2th of January (and "Volume 2 Number 5" means it's the 5th issue of their second year). Game Player's PC Buyers/Strategy Guide were published once every 2 months, so I would say November 1989 for this one.

Edited by Hoagie

Yikes, thanks for pointing that out.  Looks like someone created an entirely new database for this issue, along with the incorrect date, rather than include it with the Game Player's PC Strategy Guide database where it belongs.  I'll see if I can fix it - it really bugs me when stuff gets put in the wrong place around here, which happens a lot more than you might think.

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, TOLUST said:

YES ! YES! YES !!! E-Day words can not express ! .. LOVE LOVE GAME Players ! .. will you PLEASE scan next GamePro Handheld special one-issue ? 

I already have the next slew of issues planned, but I can scan that one so that when I get to the donation issues it can be one of the first. Until then there will be a few GamePro issues coming out among the others :)

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
4 hours ago, MigJmz said:

yikes you could at least edit the scratches on the cover. Which i already did for the Gallery database.

I did. I edited a lot of scratches. And on the screen I'm using now, I only see two red scratches in the red area on the right. I can fix those too because I am going to fix the date on the file and re-upload it.

Yeah, that was a pretty nit-picky thing to say.  I mean sure, on the one hand, fixing such a minor problem can be done in a matter of seconds, so I suppose it might as well have been done from the start, but on the other hand - is it really a big enough problem to be concerned with at this point?  Especially at the speed you're churning these edits out, I imagine there are more than a few "fine-tooth comb" blemishes that get overlooked.  My personal pet peeve is scan lines, since those aren't even part of the magazine and can be avoided if the scanner glass is kept clean, but I see those in scans here all the time and have learned to live with them.

If we're going to talk about giant unfixed blemishes, how come no one has said anything about all of the scans that have gone up where the scanner didn't bother to remove the address label from the cover?  Speaking from experience, those things peel right off if a little heat is applied.  And any discoloration or damage from the spot they were removed from can usually be fixed in Photoshop.  But if we're OK with simply whiting-out a big rectangular chunk of the cover, then it seems odd to point out a couple of tiny scratches.

• Retromags Curator

I ended up fixing those little scratches and a couple of other small things I missed since I was fixing the date for the file anyhow (which has been updated and the new version is available).  Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. I could meppi each of these scans, but then I would release a new one once every 3 or 4 months. And with the amount of magazines I have sitting here that were donated, I feel like I have an obligation to get them scanned and on the site in a reasonable amount of time. Plus I don't want to still be working on them in 4 years :)

Speaking of labels, some of the upcoming Game Player's that were donated will have an EB Games price tag on the back cover. I tried removing it from one issue and it would not come off. It's like they used the ultimate glue. The price tag was starting to turn brown from the heat and it was not pealing off at all. So the rest of them stay :)

16 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Yeah, that was a pretty nit-picky thing to say.  I mean sure, on the one hand, fixing such a minor problem can be done in a matter of seconds, so I suppose it might as well have been done from the start, but on the other hand - is it really a big enough problem to be concerned with at this point?  Especially at the speed you're churning these edits out, I imagine there are more than a few "fine-tooth comb" blemishes that get overlooked. scans here all the time and have learned to live with them.

I just like a clean cover. Especially if its hi res and fixing a simple scratch or 2 shouldn't be a big deal. At least the cover should be perfect as possible before you see the imperfections inside.

>> My personal pet peeve is scan lines, since those aren't even part of the magazine and can be avoided if the scanner glass is kept clean, but I see those in scans here all the time and have learned to live with them.

These are the worse and slows editing down considerably. Especially when they are through a block of text. I just accept to leave them. Grrr.

Edited by MigJmz

12 minutes ago, E-Day said:

I ended up fixing those little scratches and a couple of other small things I missed since I was fixing the date for the file anyhow (which has been updated and the new version is available).  Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned. I could meppi each of these scans, but then I would release a new one once every 3 or 4 months. And with the amount of magazines

I think "meppi" as a verb is an excellent addition to the lexicon.  Although it might be confusing as to whether it means "obsessively spend WAY too much goddamned time editing a page" or whether it means "to rescan and re-edit the same issue 6 times en lieu of releasing something new"

20 minutes ago, E-Day said:

Speaking of labels, some of the upcoming Game Player's that were donated will have an EB Games price tag on the back cover. I tried removing it from one issue and it would not come off. It's like they used the ultimate glue. The price tag was starting to turn brown from the heat and it was not pealing off at all. So the rest of them stay :)

Yeah, I'm supposing EB Games used some sort of sticker.  So they may very well be impossible to remove.  And if they're on the back cover, all they ruin is an ad, so that's better than ruining the cover.  Subscription address labels are usually affixed with two lines of a much less gummy adhesive, almost like a postage stamp, which is why they sometimes come off entirely on their own on old mags.  I've never encountered problems removing them.

• Retromags Curator
2 hours ago, MigJmz said:

My personal pet peeve is scan lines, since those aren't even part of the magazine and can be avoided if the scanner glass is kept clean, but I see those in scans here all the time and have learned to live with them.

These are the worse and slows editing down considerably. Especially when they are through a block of text. I just accept to leave them. Grrr.

If it's one page I do what I can to fix them. If I see them on multiple pages I just rescan them, even if it's the whole magazine since it's easy now.

2 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I think "meppi" as a verb is an excellent addition to the lexicon.  Although it might be confusing as to whether it means "obsessively spend WAY too much goddamned time editing a page" or whether it means "to rescan and re-edit the same issue 6 times en lieu of releasing something new"

It could be a verb that has a different meaning based on the context. The way I used it it means "obsessively spend WAY too much goddamned time editing a page" :D

• 3 years later...
On 6/7/2019 at 7:02 PM, E-Day said:

Found this while looking for advice on how to remove those pesky stickers.  The EB Games price tags are just the worst.  Asking strictly as a collector (not scanning), if the goal is to remove the sticker and have no glue residue left behind, what's the process?  Heat the sticker with crafting heat gun, remove sticker once loose, dab up liquified glue with... tissue?  Is it possible to remove all the sticker/mailing label glue in this way?  Thanks!