TurboGrafx-16 Mini anyone?

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

So Konami is releasing a Turbografx-16 Mini; for Kitsunebi it'll be the PC Engine Mini. Anyone interested in this? I am and I never owned or I think played a TG-16. But I like these little consoles. Apart from their cuteness they tend to have a good selection of games and are usually hackable to add more of your own. I will be picking one up when it comes out.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/konami_just_revealed_the_pc_engine_turbografx-16_mini

I just recently played through Gunhed aka Blazing Lasers, which I've seen multiple sources claim is the best shooter on the PC Engine/TurboGrafx, a system known for having lots of great shooters, and...I thought it was OK.  More or less identical to every other shooter I've ever played, albeit with a slightly more complicated upgrade system.

Conclusion = I don't like shooters.  I've played through most of the "great" ones, just because I figured I should, and in my mind, they mostly blur together as the same game.  You've got your vertical shooter, your horizontal shooter, and your shooter that mixes levels of both types.  Some are in space, some are in the sky, some are on the ground, but the gameplay is identical in all of them (at least, it seems that way to me.)  I know lots of people feel the same way about first-person-shooters or JRPGs and they're not wrong.  But I think the main problem for me is that shooters don't have a different enough personality to differentiate themselves from one another in my mind.  Outside of R-Type's vagina-monster (you can't unsee that one if you've ever played R-Type), I wouldn't probably be able to identify which enemies came from which games if handed a pile of screenshots.

6 hours ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

...I had to look this up. Is this the boss you are talking about?

It's cute the way you ask that.  As if, perhaps there's some other creature in the game composed of seven vaginas, and thus more worthy of being called the vagina monster than this particular creature composed of only six vaginas?😂

• Haha 1

Hahaha man 

19 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

It's cute the way you ask that.  As if, perhaps there's some other creature in the game composed of seven vaginas, and thus more worthy of being called the vagina monster than this particular creature composed of only six vaginas?😂

LOL man, I laughed out loud at work when I saw that. 

As a gamer, I've only ever heard of vaginas through fairytales, legends and dusty ancient texts with poorly detailed renditions of what they might look like.

3 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

As a gamer, I've only ever heard of vaginas through fairytales, legends and dusty ancient texts with poorly detailed renditions of what they might look like.

A likely story.  Admit it, you play Japanese eroge all day and night, so you do nothing BUT look at vaginas...except they're all blurred and pixelated thanks to mosaic censorship.  CURSES!

• Retromags Curator
1 hour ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

Speaking as a gamer who has one, you aren't missing a whole lot, really. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Retromags Curator
1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

A likely story.  Admit it, you play Japanese eroge all day and night, so you do nothing BUT look at vaginas...except they're all blurred and pixelated thanks to mosaic censorship.  CURSES!

That's not censorship. They actually look blurry and pixelated like that IRL. :)

*huggles*
Areala

Off on a tangent here, but while doing a google search for Japanese censorship pictures as I considered making a smartass reply here, I came across a far more interesting article concerning something of which I was actually not aware of: why cartoon characters in Japan never have 4 fingers:

http://vt.co/news/world/bizarre-reason-japanese-cartoon-characters-always-five-fingers/

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Off on a tangent here, but while doing a google search for Japanese censorship pictures as I considered making a smartass reply here, I came across a far more interesting article concerning something of which I was actually not aware of: why cartoon characters in Japan never have 4 fingers:

http://vt.co/news/world/bizarre-reason-japanese-cartoon-characters-always-five-fingers/

OK, first of all, I don't even want to THINK about what you saw doing a Google search for Japanese censorship. 🤣

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm going to assume it has something do with the number four being associated with death in Japanese culture? :)

[Edit after reading: Holy crap, I was so wrong...!]

Also, yeah, that Censored Gaming channel is a time-sink extraordinaire. I love it!

*huggles*
Areala

5 hours ago, Areala said:

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm going to assume it has something do with the number four being associated with death in Japanese culture? :)

[Edit after reading: Holy crap, I was so wrong...!]

That was a good guess, though.  Although I think the whole "yon/shi: shi = death" thing gets more attention in the West than it deserves.  It may well have influenced the etymology of the word and the way it's used, but people use "shi" for "four" all the time with no negative connotations.  It's just that it's really only used when counting, and any other time would be grammatically incorrect.  So supposing the host asks: "How many people in your party?" and you forget how many of your friends are still with you on this, the 5th stop on your all-night bar crawl, you would turn around to count them..."Ichi...ni...san...shi..." then turn back to the host and drunkenly slur "yo-nin!"

• Retromags Curator
On 6/15/2019 at 5:25 PM, kitsunebi77 said:

That was a good guess, though.  Although I think the whole "yon/shi: shi = death" thing gets more attention in the West than it deserves.  It may well have influenced the etymology of the word and the way it's used, but people use "shi" for "four" all the time with no negative connotations.  It's just that it's really only used when counting, and any other time would be grammatically incorrect.  So supposing the host asks: "How many people in your party?" and you forget how many of your friends are still with you on this, the 5th stop on your all-night bar crawl, you would turn around to count them..."Ichi...ni...san...shi..." then turn back to the host and drunkenly slur "yo-nin!"

Actually, this is off-topic from the TG-16 mini, but your example brought up something I've always wondered. I know that alcohol and drinking is very big in Japanese culture, especially among co-workers...or at least that's the way it seems from people I've spoken to who have lived there. My problem is that I'm very allergic to it (I'd be dead long before I hit even mild intoxication, so I have to be quite careful). Is there any acceptable way to decline an invitation to drink, either for health reasons or because one is, say, a recovering alcoholic? Or is it more the presence at the social gathering as opposed to the consumption of beverages that is the big deal? :)

*huggles*
Areala

On 6/15/2019 at 1:32 AM, kitsunebi77 said:

Jesus christ what did I stumble into...I just spent the past hour watching videos on that Censored Gaming channel...

On 6/15/2019 at 10:29 AM, Areala said:

OAlso, yeah, that Censored Gaming channel is a time-sink extraordinaire. I love it!

and now I've spent way too much time watching that channel. thanks, all!

4 hours ago, Areala said:

Actually, this is off-topic from the TG-16 mini, but your example brought up something I've always wondered. I know that alcohol and drinking is very big in Japanese culture, especially among co-workers...or at least that's the way it seems from people I've spoken to who have lived there. My problem is that I'm very allergic to it (I'd be dead long before I hit even mild intoxication, so I have to be quite careful). Is there any acceptable way to decline an invitation to drink, either for health reasons or because one is, say, a recovering alcoholic? Or is it more the presence at the social gathering as opposed to the consumption of beverages that is the big deal? :)

At every work party I go to, at least 30% of the people present don't drink alcohol.  The easiest way to decline is to say you have to drive, since Japan has a zero tolerance policy.  Of course, in your case, you've already got a legitimate excuse.  But no one is going to ever press you for a reason, or pressure you to drink, so no worries.

The only problem with not drinking is that most non-drinkers tend to go home after the first party.  It's understandable, especially if the 2nd party is just another place where people plan to drink.  What sober person wants to hang out with a bunch of drunks all night? 🤣 Also, the check is always split evenly between everyone present, so non-drinkers kind of get shafted by paying more than their soft drinks were worth (the first party is likely to cost you at least $50-60, and the second between $20-30...and on rare occasions there might even be a 3rd party...so it can get expensive.)

But as you point out, the REAL reason for these parties to exist in the first place is socialization, and most of the non-drinkers miss out on half of that by leaving after the first/dinner party, so there are drawbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this.  I have an original - picked one up years ago - but I don't play it nearly as often as I used to.  Sure, it'd be nice to break it out and dust it off but it's crazy expensive to support anymore.  And don't get me started about the add-ons.

Talking about the TG-16 mini, btw.

Nice to see CD-ROM games are included despite the form factor not reflecting the fact.  Would love to see Castlevania: Rondo of Blood finally receive an official, physical release in the states.  Even if it is by way of a mini plug-and-play.

I'm surprised Konami is releasing it in the states, actually.  The TG-16 didn't exactly catch the gaming world on fire here.  Great system with some great games - I'm happy with the USA line-up thus far - but I can't imagine mainstream nostalgia will sell this one.

Anyone know who will be handling the emulation?  Konami tapped M2 for their recent digital collections (Arcade, Castlevania, Contra).  Hopefully they're doing the same for this thing.