Best PAL games, Japan translations for NES

heyuimintojsus

My knowledge of European NES games is very limited compared to other consoles like the Super NES and PS1. I think it's mostly sports & racing games that had the most NES PAL exclusives. There were also a few games that were specific to European cartoon characters like Asterix. Beyond that I really don't know much.

One game you can check out is Devil World. It had the distinction for being the only NES game develeoped by Nintendo (and Shigeru Miyamoto) not released in North America.

3 hours ago, Sivilius said:

One game you can check out is Devil World. It had the distinction for being the only NES game develeoped by Nintendo (and Shigeru Miyamoto) not released in North America.

Other games developed by Nintendo for the Famicom but never released in North America:

• Mahjong (1983)
  • Gomoku Narabe Renju (1983)
  • Popeye no Eigo Asobi (1983)
  • F1 Race (1984)
  • Famicom Wars (1988)
  • Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi (1990)

and for the Famicom Disk System:

• Yume Kōjō: Dokidoki Panic (1987)
  • Famicom Mukashibanashi: Shin Onigashima (1987)
  • Famicom Grand Prix F1 Race (1987)
  • Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally (1988)
  • Famicom Tantei Club: Kieta Kōkeisha (1988)
  • Famicom Tantei Kurabu Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo (1989)

The Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 was of course later released in the USA as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on different platforms, as were The Mysterious Murasame Castle and Earthbound, which both eventually made their way to Virtual Console release.

But yes, Devil World is the only NES game in which Miyamoto played a designer role to be unreleased in the USA (except for Dokidoki Panic, which of course saw an altered release as SMB2)

• 4 months later...

While it certainly does not count as an "official" release, both Devil World and F1 Race (among other Famicom-exclusive titles) appeared on some of the various pirate Famiclones that were sold in North America. I have two or three such examples in my collection -- all purchased here in Canada.  

I was not aware that Devil World was such a significant, albeit early, title.