gingerbeardman upload thread — Update 2021/10/30 — T&E SOFT 3D Golf Simulation Series Dokuhon (1993/04/30)

gingerbeardman

@kitsunebi77

https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12405278/nintendo-power-issues-disappear-from-free-online-archive

The collection was not popularly know for 6 months. 2nd i think this may have came from a torrent on a retro gaming site. So not directly from you guys. Some of the scans was 2001 scans which i don't think you guys scanned at all at that time. Heck 2001-03 to 2001-06 issue thats in that collection still has not been scanned by you guys.

wayback machine of that collection (to prove there was issues there that you guys didn't scanned in there) : https://web.archive.org/web/20160804202710/https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

1 hour ago, godane said:

The collection was not popularly know for 6 months. 2nd i think this may have came from a torrent on a retro gaming site. So not directly from you guys. Some of the scans was 2001 scans which i don't think you guys scanned at all at that time. Heck 2001-03 to 2001-06 issue thats in that collection still has not been scanned by you guys.

I didn't look at every single issue.  But every issue I DID look at had a Retromags splash page at the end, so I'm pretty sure the bulk of them came from us.  And the point is, NONE of our scans should have been uploaded there.  Whether they were taken from a torrent is irrelevant.  A Retromags scan is a Retromags scan.  That's why the splash pages are there.

There's no point splitting hairs about the details - the fact is that a site with a $10 million per year budget uploaded a bunch of Nintendo Powers (remember, they were uploaded by an Internet Archive employee, not some random user), which is going to look bad to a company like Nintendo which is notoriously protective of its IP, especially if there's money involved.  The negative attention they received could have blown back on us as well (and indeed, our NP collection had to be removed from our site for a while as a cautionary measure and remains hidden from unregistered visitors to this day because of the mess the Internet Archive caused.)  I don't think their actions are worth defending in the slightest.

• Like 1

Back in the early Retromags days of old they didn't have a cut-off date and as I recall the Nintendo Power's were scanned and available but in pretty shoddy quality. Then they decided to put a cut-off date in and the issues got removed that violated the date rule. Subsequently they removed the crappy quality raw scanned versions and the rest is history. The current versions are way better anyway I think. I aren't all that interested in USA game mags so I haven't looked at them all that much so I may be wrong re quality of the currently hosted mags but I don't think so.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Only very minor video game action in this one (a single Game &Watch mention p.163, plus physical Hanafuda p.111, and other card games p.85,89,108 and games p.126) but I thought it worth posting.

It was a quick scan with zero retouching because it was in a sorry state.

POPEYE Big 100th issue (1981-04-10)

https://archive.org/details/popeye-magazine-for-city-boys-1981-04-10/mode/2up

Here's a twitter thread where I pull its some interesting stuff.

2020-03-04-0138.jpg

Edited by gingerbeardman
  • Like 1

I also eventually got around to buying a cheap 1998-issue R1 version Kodak Q-60 color target (IT8.7/2) and generating an .ICC profile for my scanner.

Kind of a waste of time, because the calibration file is meant for use only when scanning a particular glossy photo paper.

But interesting to see the results! Basically a very consistent scanner. 

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.50.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.47.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.46.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.44.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.43.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.41.png

Screen shot 2020-03-06 at 09.21.40.png

Edited by gingerbeardman

20 minutes ago, gingerbeardman said:

Only very minor video game action in this one (a single Game &Watch mention, plus physical Hanafuda and card games) but I thought it worth posting.

I can't say I noticed either of those things you mentioned while flipping through, but it was an interesting time-capsule peek at the very early 80s nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...