New Release - PC Gamer Issue 086 (July 2001)

MigJmz

This confused me for a minute, since I already have an edited copy in my collection.  A quick check revealed that Kiwi edited it for his site a few years ago, so that's where I got it.  It still amazes me that there are people interested in game mags who aren't members of his site.  They're missing out on literally thousands of mags. (That's my official endorsement, btw. 😋)

Sure, this was an Internet Archive release, so anyone is free to duplicate each others' editing work for whatever site they like.

But I hope at least a few people decide to go to Kiwi's site and support one of the only people out there releasing tons of NEW content not available here or anywhere else.  Kiwi's site is accessible to everyone (last I checked, a $5 donation buys a lifetime membership.)  I think if Robin Hood existed, he'd gladly throw his support behind Kiwi's site.  The only thing he's rich in is magazine scans.🙂

Why should he?  Personally, I think a far better mission would be to get PC Gamers (or anything else) not already available elsewhere added to Retromags.  I've had all of marktrade's scans for over 3 years now - what I'd really like to see is a new scan.  There's no reason to need multiple copies of everything, especially multiple edits of the exact same scans.  It's not like we're in some sort of competition to be the only gaming mag site in existence - we support Oldgamemags and encourage everyone else to do so as well.  The two sites actually compliment each other quite nicely, with very little overlap of content.

For anyone who wants edited copies of most of Marktrade's PC Gamers as well as dozens of other PC Gamers (and nearly 5000 other mags, almost none of which are available at Retromags), they're already available at Oldgamemags.

It's your time to spend as you like, of course.  I wouldn't want to spend time editing a file I already owned an edited copy of, but that's just me, I guess.  But I'm pretty sure everyone can afford the $5 it would cost to instantly access over 100 issues of PC Gamer (not even counting the thousands of other mags).  That's less than 5 cents per issue.  So people not donating certainly isn't a matter of not being able to afford it.  As you say, they aren't WILLING to donate.  And to be honest, I could care less about those people - they aren't helping this hobby at all.

31 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

you be surprise people are cheapskates and wont even shell out 5.

Anyway how do kiwi get all these mags? Through contributions or does he collect? 

I have personally scanned over a thousand magazines and I still have a couple of thousand more in my basement waiting for their day on the scanner. I have bought magazines since I was a teen when computers first appeared so my collection ranges from early issues of CVG onward. Additionally, since I created OGM I have purchased hundreds of mags on the local auction sites specifically because they have not been scanned at all (PC Gamer (UK), PC World (NZ) etc). Physical donations are negligible due to shipping costs to send content to NZ or Australia where we have active scanning members.

As stated above, OGM does have a small contingent of scanning members who contribute, some regularly and others randomly. Some scans are great, some not, but all are either not scanned previously or are currently available in better quality on the site than those released previously in the past. Having turned 57 today my desire is to get unreleased content available while I am able to, and if that means a little less editing to get more magazines released then so be it. I simply do not have the time or inclination to spends dozens of hours editing a single title like Meppi does as my collection is far too big to work on that basis if I want to get them all scanned before I no longer able to.

As far as members signing up goes, I get a LOT of registrations and maybe one person out of fifty donates to gain access while the other forty nine don't and subsequently get deleted. You are correct, sod all people understand and contribute. Most everyone wants everything for nothing. It's sad times we live in. Of the 140 members of the site probably only a handful came from Retromags so the 15000 you have here are pretty much all leechers too if you were to look at the donations vs members ratio. You have so many simply because no membership donation is required although in truth people from the USA are clouded by GamePro, EGM and Nintendo Power and have little interest in non-USA content so it's likely you have a higher hit rate of donators here anyway. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MigJmz said:

you be surprise people are cheapskates and wont even shell out 5.

I'm not surprised at all, actually.  What I said is, I could care less about people who won't even pitch in $5 to help keep this hobby afloat.  If all of them were blocked from downloading my scans, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I donated money to Retromags to become a lifetime patron long before I started contributing scans.  And I donated money to Kiwi's site long before he was forced to make his site members-only.  And of course, later, I donated hundreds of hours of my time contributing content for this site.  So yeah, I feel justified that I've got no #$%@s to give about the people who don't do anything but take.

If we ever raise enough money for the mod allowing all contributors to be recognized, I might be tempted to add to the pool of files in need of editing.  I'm finding that I have no desire to spend another second of my life editing magazines (including some that I've had scanned for half a year now), but I might talk myself into passing scans off to someone else to edit if I can find someone here who does a good job of it, if only so I can free up closet space.   Sadly, none of them are GamePros, so Melki is of no use to me. 😋