Preserving The Super Famicom Japanese Magazine

Setolam

Hello, I am scanning some japanese The Super Famicom magazines, I created this post for if anybody are interested in this magazine, here we can share info and help to try to complete the series. Please any comment leave below. Thank you.

There are 3 issues in retromags and I have two in my archive place.

__ia_thumb.jpg

The Super Famicom 1992 No. 22

__ia_thumb.jpg

The Super Famicom 1995 No. 23

The next issue will be 

EPBlTdeU4AEW5ef?format=jpg&name=360x360

The Super Famicom 1995 No. 19 I fixed the cover, any moderator can put is as dababase image if he/she wants.

it is in my twitter the clean cover and original one if I put here it appears very big.

https://twitter.com/SnesLegacy

Regards.

I haven't downloaded your magazines but I'm curious - are they not up to Retromags's quality standards?  Because if they are, I think adding them to Retromags' download section makes a lot more sense than just posting about them in the forums.

If you think the quality is good enough, why not ask a mod to look them over for approval? 

Likewise, you are able to add or update gallery images yourself.  If you have a cover we're missing, please save it at around 1920px high and upload it to the gallery.  If you have a better scan of a cover already in the gallery, replace the old one by clicking "edit details" and then "upload new image."

Hello, I don't know how request a publication here, I think that if I share here somebody can check it, and if quality is good for me is ok if add to retromags. 

About gallery puctures, I tried before but because I am newcomer it not was possible, I will check again as you describe, the other time there were no buttons for me.

I publish here to because maybe somedoby have interest in this magazine and can help too complete.

2 minutes ago, Setolam said:

About Gallery puctures, I tried before but because I am newcomer it not was possible, I will check again as you describe, the other time there were no buttons for me.

Even new members with zero posts should be able to upload to the gallery (but their upload will have to be approved by a moderator).

Briefly looking at your scans, they look like they could very quickly be edited for Retromags.  The only problem is on the gutter side of each page, where the staple holes are often visible and sometimes the crop is not perfect.  But that's an easy fix using Photoshop - just using a box select along that edge of the page and performing a content-aware fill should fix most of the pages.

The only problem is that you've uploaded your files as PDFs.  That means that we can't access the jpgs to perform the necessary edits (nor could we upload them here.)

If you have the original jpgs files you used to create the PDFs, then fixing everything to add them to Retromags should be quite simple.

I tried to add the image to the gallery but only here https://www.retromags.com/gallery/category/700-the-super-famicom/?page=3

Add images button appears. 

In the magazine page 

Only Image tools buttons are visible, there I can set as my profile photo or download.

About magazines scans I cut page by page and fix with photoshop because when I scanning pages it are not completely flatness in my scan, and it have a distorsion. Some pages are not comppletely straight in the original magazine. Staples places give sometimes realistic aspect XD, but I only remove when it is broken or annoying the main picture. 
I will try remove it completly. 

I can send you a link for a jpgs but if you publish it as pdf, because if I use a cbz or cbr allow steal page by page without any credit and it takes long time clean and fix, and I am not in my mind publish it yet.

5 minutes ago, Setolam said:

Only Image tools buttons are visible, there I can set as my profile photo or download.

OK, maybe new members can't edit existing pics (there would be a gear-shaped icon in the top-right of the screen if you could.)  New members definitely CAN upload new pics, though.

7 minutes ago, Setolam said:

I can send you a link for a jpgs but if you publish it as pdf, because if I use a cbz or cbr allow steal page by page without any credit and it takes long time clean and fix, and I am not in my mind publish it yet.

I'm not sure if I understand you here or not.  If you're saying that you only want to publish PDFs, then you won't be able to share them here.  PDFs are an inconvenient format that Retromags avoids using. 

As for your second point, anyone can easily steal PDF pages page by page as well - it just requires a secondary program to do so, so I'm not sure I understand your reservations.  For that matter, anyone can steal entire magazines even easier.  In fact, your PDFs have almost definitely ALREADY been stolen and uploaded somewhere other than the Internet Archive - that's just the way it is, unfortunately.  People steal Retromags scans all the time - most of them are available at the Internet Archive, and WE certainly didn't put them there.  One site I won't name copies and uploads our files within days (sometimes hours) of us uploading them here.  The only way to keep people from stealing files is to never upload them in the first place, sadly.

I know, but cbz or cbr is as easy as take a winrar and open it, I only want that magazine cannot be put in parts easyly, at least stil because my project is very small and the only way to try to get bigger is take some exclusives like try to publish high resolution clean arts or interviews and translations. Pdf is a little less accesible, I know that finally anything can be done.

It's the only way to try to reach more people, and maybe they want to help to complete the project.
I do not mind about retromags people, more about people on the shadows XD, for example twitter people that publish an advert or  games's cover without any mention. 

If I can complete at leas by years I will publish everything. Finally it is my work but original magazines' works do not belongs to me. I would like only to preservate it.

I'm still not sure I understand you completely.

It seems you want to promote your scans in the Retromags forums and ask for help from other Retromags members, but you don't want your magazines shared at Retromags - is that right?

If you really want to only share PDFs, you could ask Oldgamemags to host your files, since they prefer PDFs over there (you'd have to remove them from the Internet Archive, though, since they don't allow their files to be shared anywhere else.)  Although again, I'm not sure why you think PDF would make individual pages any more secure.TheSuperFamicom 1992 No1.jpgTheSuperFamicom 1992 No2.jpgTheSuperFamicom 1992 No.jpgTheSuperFamicom 1992 No4.jpg

Btw, I ripped those jpgs out of the PDF using Photoshp, but that isn't actually necessary.  Anyone can download all of your individual pages as jpgs directly from the Internet Archive, if they want:

Untitled-1.jpg

I understand if you simply prefer PDF as the software for viewing your files.  Kiwi likes using PDF viewers which is why Oldgamemags uses that format.  I just want to make it clear that uploading PDFs to the Internet Archive is not somehow making your files any more secure than if they were CBRs.

Not, I do not worry about retromagspeople. Pdf is not a secure file, I know, but only a little more advanced users can take easy, not anybody. I prefer too pdfs for commodity. 

Archive is not the best place, but it is free and easy for normal users.

We prefer cbr for a number of reasons, but one of them is the exact reason you dislike them - because they are easier to manipulate.  We can't claim ownership of the images we scan, and if we wanted to keep them from being shared by anyone, we wouldn't bother scanning in the first place and would just keep our magazines intact and save ourselves a ton of effort.🙂  So we upload them in the most free and open format available - CBR - a simple compressed folder of jpgs. 

What people do with it at that point is out of our control.  If people share specific pages or even the whole magazine without asking permission or giving credit, there's nothing we can do about that.  But then again, although we don't steal magazines from other sites and only share complete magazines that were scanned by Retromags members, we've got 32,000 cover images in our gallery, and most of those were not scanned by Retromags members, nor do we give any credit to where they came from. 

There is a certain unspoken agreement whenever uploading something to the internet that can be freely downloaded that it can also be freely shared by anyone wherever and however they like.  We might find it annoying, but we won't deny anyone the right to do so if they wish (one of the philosophies that sets us apart from some of the other scanning sites).

• 1 year later...

すみません、多くのお返事に感謝します。

私は日本人で、英語がよく読めません。なので、せっかく皆さんが下さったアドバイスを理解することができませんでした。

下記のURLに、私が読みたい雑誌がたくさんあるのですが、「missing」となっていて、中を読むことが出来ず、悲しい思いをしています。

The Super Famicom - Video Game Magazines - Retromags Community

「missing」の雑誌が、いつかまた「preserving」になってくれたら嬉しいです。

The Super Famicom and Hippon Super are some of my most wanted mag scans.

I have Vol.5 No.16 from an unknown scanner taken from Underground Gamer. Supposedly there were more?

https://archive.org/details/the-super-famicom-september-16-1994

On 2/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, MigJmz said:

very pricey mags judging by eBay. If you really want to see these you need to cough up some $$$.

Is that why there's been so few Super Famicom magazines scanned? Entire runs of a few Mega Drive and Saturn mags have been scanned.

Edited by JonnyCGood
  • Like 1