Selling old E3 Special Mags/Rare Magazines

Rukes

Just discovered this site and it’s amazing! I recently sold off my Nintendo Power collection on eBay, but now going to other mags like EGM, GameFan, VG&CE, Game Players, TurboMag etc.

I also discovered I have some special mags not scanned and archived on the site, including Official Xbox Magazine both the unlisted E3 special preview issue from early 2001, as well as the unarchived special preview issue from late 2001, plus PC Accelerator issue 0.

I have some stuff up now, but will add more next month when I have more eBay free listings. So hopefully someone with a good scanner can win some of these mags and archive them here!

My username: therukes

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/therukes/m.html

4 hours ago, Rukes said:

I have some stuff up now, but will add more next month when I have more eBay free listings. So hopefully someone with a good scanner can win some of these mags and archive them here!

Haha.  Not really how it works, I'm afraid.  All of our main scanners are too busy scanning mags that other members have donated to them FOR FREE to need to buy more stuff to scan off of eBay.  I've bought mags at auction for the purpose of scanning because that was the only way to get them, since they were being sold by non-members who have no interest in Retromags and only wanted to make some money.  But although I might choose to buy something for my personal collection from a member if it was something I really wanted, I would NEVER buy mags off of a member in order to scan them. 

Scanners/editors put in TONS of work archiving stuff, and during the process, the mags themselves are destroyed, so they get nothing out of the deal.  It's pure give and no take.  Asking them to pay for the mags, do all of the work debinding, scanning, and editing, and then provide free copies of the scan to the very same person who made them pay for the mags in the first place is asking too much, in my opinion.

So a more appropriate wish is "hopefully someone who owns these mags is willing to contribute to the community by either scanning them themselves (which is always preferable), or else donating them to someone willing to do the work for them."

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a little bump, put up some more special issues I found (like premiere and E3 Exclusive mags), Nintendo Fun Club and all of my GameFan issues I have left! Anything that doesn't sell as an auction will be put up as buy it now with offers. (of course I do combine shipping if you buy multiple)

Still to put up later on are old EGM, GamePlayer's, Video Games & Computer Entertainment, Next Generation, so I will hopefully put as much as I can up early April.

• 2 weeks later...

Final bump! I have hundreds of auctions up right now, ending this weekend, comprised of all the remaining magazines left:

Includes stuff such as:

Nintendo Power (some old issues in Like New shape/never mailed!)

Turbo Play

Game Player's 

GamePro

EGM

Video Games & Computer Entertainment

Next Generation

GameFan

Retro Prima Guides

Nintendo Player's Guides

Consumer Guides

Even an old-school Nintendo Power Super Player's Club official magazine holder, as well as a huge lot of 26 old magazines missing covers/pages.

Everything is sold individually, since I saw too many huge expensive lots and prefer to help fill in some gaps. Anything that isn't sold via auction will be put up as Buy It Now, sometimes with offers enabled too.

Please note that I DO combine shipping, so if you win multiple issues just wait for me to send an invoice (and feel free to wait for more auctions to finish if you need more time). 

On 4/9/2020 at 5:13 PM, Rukes said:

Final bump! I have hundreds of auctions up right now, ending this weekend, comprised of all the remaining magazines left:

definitely some solid quality stuff in there. I was watching the Milon's Secret Castle guide (those very rarely pop up for sale!) but looks like a couple people want it more than i do.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:53 AM, twiztor said:

definitely some solid quality stuff in there. I was watching the Milon's Secret Castle guide (those very rarely pop up for sale!) but looks like a couple people want it more than i do.

update:
they wanted it WAY more than me. sold for over $500! nice work Rukes, that's a pretty rad haul!

I wonder what the highest priced auction for a gaming mag has been?  That guide just sold for more than a copy of Famitsu #1.  Maybe Milon's Secret Castle is that person's favorite game (I ...suppose it's possible?😅  But I'm assuming its desirability is solely based on its scarceness)

5 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

I wonder what the highest priced auction for a gaming mag has been?  That guide just sold for more than a copy of Famitsu #1.  Maybe Milon's Secret Castle is that person's favorite game (I ...suppose it's possible?😅  But I'm assuming its desirability is solely based on its scarceness)

i will admit that i do enjoy the game. definitely not a favorite or anything, but yeah the value comes from its rarity. I've only seen a couple change hands in the 10 years i've known about it even existing.