What do you find is the most time consuming step of editing scans?

MkMoveList

26 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

Scanning anything on a flatbed takes so much time. Also it always creates some crookedness and dust spots if the pages and/or glass is dirty. Color adjustments can easily be done with a automated process in Photoshop. Invest in a ADF  if you can!

Seconded.  Indeed, the OP's question is one that I would only ever expect to hear from someone using a flatbed.

ADF scanners auto-crop.  And since the pages are all being fed in straight, they usually only require straightening on pages that are printed slightly crooked.  So in addition to saving TONS of time during the scanning process itself, they also save time when editing.  AND provide a higher quality scan in the process.  They're pretty much better in every way, although it's always nice to have a flatbed scanner in reserve for pages that can't be fed through or for things you don't want to debind.

• Retromags Curator

If a magazine is cut straight when it's put together at the printers, then using Photoshop to automate a lot of the colour correction, you can get away with not having to touch most of the pages in some scans. I have has scans where I only had to manually fix something on 15 pages or so out of 120. If I didn't have an ADF, I would not be trying to work through all the magazines I received. I would not even have accepted them.

3 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

ADF scanners auto-crop.  

Technically, the software for ADF scanners auto-crop, however, some scanners have better bundled software than others in regards to this feature. The Fujitsu IX500 has really good auto-cropping where as the Avision software is frankly appalling, so your mileage varies for this functionality from scanner to scanner.

1 minute ago, KiwiArcader said:

Technically, the software for ADF scanners auto-crop, however, some scanners have better bundled software than others in regards to this feature. The Fujitsu iX500 has really good auto-cropping where as the Avision software is frankly appalling, so your mileage varies for this functionality from scanner to scanner.

Correct.  And I believe everyone scanning for Retromags with ADF owns an iX500, except for E-Day, who owns Fujitsu's newer replacement for that model, which I assume has similar software.  So I sometimes forget there are other, possibly inferior ADF scanners out there.😅

13 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

So I sometimes forget there are other, possibly inferior ADF scanners out there.😅

Well, technically the Avision AD240 is a very good scanner. While classified A4, it has a wider scanning area so it can actually scan oversize magazines which would be perfect for most all magazines but the software is really, really bad with auto-cropping of dark pages for some reason. It is ISIS driver capable but I couldn't get it to work with Quickscan Pro so I gave up on it.

Just now, vgmax said:

Has anyone tried using a mounted phone as an alternative to scanning?

Taking photographs of magazines is not an alternative to scanning.

Any product featuring a mounted camera taking photos of something is flat out lying if they try to suggest that it's acceptable for magazines.  Those products have some functionality if you're dealing with text-only books, but for magazines they're totally useless (for the purpose of creating something decent-looking enough to be shared here, that is.)

• Like 1