New Release - S.W.A.T.Pro Issue 20 (November 1994)

E-Day

Oops my bad.  I thought I got bumped by a comment on an older upload.  Turns out I got bumped by E-Day.

Thought we discussed this, man!!  Everybody gets their own new release period (i.e. their own new release email.)  It's why I wait till after the new release email goes out to post my own files.🤨

Oh well.  Maybe people will scroll down.😅

EDIT: I knew it...I'm pushed to the bottom of the new release email like always.  E-DAYYYYYY!!! <shakes fist>  Just. One. Day!

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator
On 2/29/2020 at 4:30 PM, kitsunebi said:

Oops my bad.  I thought I got bumped by a comment on an older upload.  Turns out I got bumped by E-Day.

Thought we discussed this, man!!  Everybody gets their own new release period (i.e. their own new release email.)  It's why I wait till after the new release email goes out to post my own files.🤨

Oh well.  Maybe people will scroll down.😅

EDIT: I knew it...I'm pushed to the bottom of the new release email like always.  E-DAYYYYYY!!! <shakes fist>  Just. One. Day!

The front page posts seem to get pushed if someone comments in a post. So when you release your next scan, I'll go comment on a New Release post from last year, and it will bump yours down to the second item. You can always comment on your own new release post to get it back to the top :)

6 hours ago, E-Day said:

The front page posts seem to get pushed if someone comments in a post. So when you release your next scan, I'll go comment on a New Release post from last year, and it will bump yours down to the second item. You can always comment on your own new release post to get it back to the top :)

Wait, what? 

My previous post was saying that although I initially thought my release got bumped down the front page by a comment on an older release of yours (which would simply be a problem with the way our software works), it turned out that the comment was on a new release you uploaded shortly after I uploaded mine.  I hadn't expected that, since I thought we had previously agreed that everyone (or at least me, since I'm apparently the only one bothered by this) could be allowed a small grace period (i.e. until that day's new release email is sent out) before you would upload a new magazine.  I know we discussed this before, and even though you said you don't care if it happens to you, I still give you and anyone else the courtesy of not uploading anything of mine until after the previous new release's email gets sent out, in order to let that release get its own day in the spotlight.  And I thought you had agreed to humor me and reciprocate, but I guess you forgot, or just didn't notice that I'd uploaded something.  So my release got second billing in the email...again.   So to make it clear, although the issue with the front page pushing comments to the top is something which I think is a problem, what I was complaining about was that you released a new mag before my upload's new release email was sent.  If you'd simply released your mag a few hours later after the email went out, there wouldn't have been any problem.

But now...I complain that you bumped my mag in the email...and you promise that you will also be sure to bump my next release from the main page by randomly commenting on some year old release?  😟

Jesus, E-Day...what did I ever do to you??😧

50 minutes ago, E-Day said:

I don't even know at what time that email goes out. All I know is that email is meant for non-members. 

If it's that important to you, I can wait until that email goes out, whatever time that is. 

I don't want to say you're wrong, since you obviously are a higher pay grade than I am so you probably know something I don't, but I was always under the impression that the email was meant ONLY for members, actually.  I logged out to see if I could find some way to sign up for email notifications as a non-member, but I couldn't find any.  I either suck at searching for things, or it's pretty well hidden.

At any rate, the email is sent at the exact same time every day.  It's either 8am or 7am for me, depending on what kind of daylight savings you guys are on.  Not sure what time that is for you.  You could just check the time stamp on one of the emails, but I'm supposing you've turned notifications off since it sounds like you aren't receiving them (I believe it gets sent to all registered members automatically when they sign up, though you can opt out of it in the notification settings.)

And as I said, we actually already had this conversation in the past in the Team Member forum.🙂

• Retromags Curator

I remember Phillyman saying the email was meant for people who weren't members, and that it only went out to a handful of people. I could be remembering it wrong though. If you go to the site signed out you'll see the link to the Feedburner email in all the new release posts like you normally would.  As far as I know that is the only way to sign up. My notifications settings are sent to sent me notifications for everything but "Someone I am following makes a post", including "Send me news and information". This doesn't include the Feedburner email though because I never signed up for it.

Interesting.  I was checking the actual download section and coming up empty, but you're right, the link to sign up to the feedburner is in the forum post. I could have sworn I got emails about new releases back when RM was a members-only site, but I guess not.

At any rate, I would never consider it something intended for "non-members."  I probably log in to this site more than anybody, but I still usually find out about new releases first when I check my email first thing after waking up (with our time zones so different, a lot of uploads happen while I'm sleeping.)  I imagine there are plenty of members who don't log in every day who similarly hear about new releases when that email goes out. 

And anyway, anymore, there's no reason to even register unless you plan on posting in the forums (something that 98% of our registered members don't do), so these days, there's hardly a difference between members and non-members.  So if the point of the email is to promote the item to people who might not visit the site otherwise, why wouldn't we want as many members or non-members as possible to see it? (I'm pretty sure this is the only reason we have superfluous accounts at facebook and twitter). 

2 interesting facts about current-day Retromags:

1. Most of our downloads come from unregistered guests (in the case of that FF7 guide, 95% of them🤣)
  2. Most of our registered members who scan magazines upload them to the Internet Archive or elsewhere rather than deal with our rules