Foxhack

Picked up a large lot of mags to donate

Recommended Posts

So a while back, after I made my first donation to Retromags, I mentioned I'd try to get more local magazines for y'all to scan. Well, I managed to get a decent lot:

(I believe one of these PlayMania books has a cut up back cover, but the rest is fine)

Game Master was a Mexican magazine that ran from 2009 until 2015, this collection has several issues from 2009 to 2012. PlayMania and Hobby Consolas are from Spain, Club Nintendo is the Mexican version, and that Xbox magazine is also from Mexico.

Just like last time, I'll happily ship these to you guys if you cover the postage from California to wherever.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use attach for the images to view in post.

Interesting mags... Let E-Day see these first since he is our main scanner guy.

I'm in California too how much would the postage be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MigJmz said:

Use attach for the images to view in post.

Interesting mags... Let E-Day see these first since he is our main scanner guy.

I'm in California too how much would the postage be?

Huh, now they're embedding fine. Anyway. I typically ship these via Media (I know it's a risk because we're not supposed to send magazines that way) so it shouldn't be THAT much, probably $10-15 tops anywhere in the US, except Hawaii / Alaska.

I also got a bunch of Game Informers from the same era with these but I'm not sure what the status of those is here so I didn't mention them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game informers not allowed to be scanned here by publishers request. Unless something changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, I can just give those away. I'm more interested in knowing where to send the other stuff or if anyone can handle those. :P

As I said, I want to try to get as many Mexican mags I can before I leave here. Which... might be a while considering the whole global pandemic going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm obviously making a guess here, but here's my take:

These are Spanish-language magazines.  I don't speak Spanish, so I have no more interest in these mags than I do French or German or Italian mags.  I imagine that most people who don't speak a language have very little interest in mags from those countries.  Also, a magazine printed in Mexico is a secondary source in the sense that they're typically going to be reporting on games that were not developed in Mexico, and thus will typically be the same games being discussed in an English-language magazine.  So while anyone who speaks Spanish would benefit from the Mexican mag, someone speaking only English would find the same information in an English-language mag, and have no need to look at mags covering the same material in other languages.  As most of our members (certainly the contributing ones) are English speakers, they have less interest and need for mags written in other languages.

The exception to this being Japanese mags.  Japan is a game industry unto itself, so Japanese magazines are a primary source of information - not just about Japanese games that are later localized into English, but for the massive amount of games published exclusively in Japan.  So even people who can't speak the language may be interested in looking through Japanese mags for the sheer amount of exclusive game coverage that won't be found in any other language.

I would like to see all mags get scanned.  But scanning is a lot of work and requires a lot of time.  It requires a certain amount of passion, without which, it ain't gonna happen.  Personally, I like PC gaming mags, but no one else who scans mags here has any interest in them, so they focus on video game mags instead.  Similarly, some of our members may really want to read non-English mags, but if none of the people actually doing the scanning have an interest in them - it's not gonna happen.

As a California-based member and someone whose user name I've always read as "Miguel Jiminez" 😁, perhaps MigJmz is the most likely to speak Spanish and thus have an interest in scanning these mags?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kitsunebi said:

I'm obviously making a guess here, but here's my take:

These are Spanish-language magazines.  I don't speak Spanish, so I have no more interest in these mags than I do French or German or Italian mags.  I imagine that most people who don't speak a language have very little interest in mags from those countries.  Also, a magazine printed in Mexico is a secondary source in the sense that they're typically going to be reporting on games that were not developed in Mexico, and thus will typically be the same games being discussed in an English-language magazine.  So while anyone who speaks Spanish would benefit from the Mexican mag, whereas someone speaking only English would find the same information in an English-language mag, and have no need to look at mags covering the same material in other languages.  As most of our members (certainly the contributing ones) are English speakers, they have less interest and need for mags written in other languages.

There's one historically important magazine that needs to be scanned: Club Nintendo Mexico. Most of its material was completely original thanks to the fact they had direct access to Nintendo materials through an import company that handled distribution for them here; they also reported on local events such as the launch of Chavez, and even had a hand in localizing some games for the region. They also had interviews with developers from Europe, Japan and America, and their coverage of E3 and Tokyo Game Show was unheard of for the time. Plus they're the only magazine that ran news coverage on the cancelled Dragon Ball Z Shin Butouden 3 localization. Unfortunately, in its later years, it just started to reprint stuff from Nintendo Power. But the early stuff is important. I have a few years worth of magazines upstairs.

Magazines from other countries did reprint stuff from other places, but Club Nintendo Mexico shouldn't really be looked over. 😜

And trust me, if I -could- scan these, I totally would, but my scanner is a piece of garbage that barely works and is full of uncleanable dust. 😞

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Foxhack said:

Magazines from other countries did reprint stuff from other places, but Club Nintendo Mexico shouldn't really be looked over. 😜

When I call a magazine a secondary source, I'm not actually talking about the ones that simply reprint translations of articles originally printed in other mags.  I'm simply saying that they're covering games that have already been covered elsewhere.  An English language mag is a secondary source for info on Japanese games, for example.  Since most games are originally developed in either Japan or an English-language-speaking country (most, not all, of course) - then those countries' mags will usually be the primary source of info in the sense that they usually get the info first, and anything like interviews and whatnot can be presented in the interviewee's actual words, not via a translation that may lose certain nuance.

Anyway, again, I'm not saying that those mags don't deserve to be preserved.  They sound like they absolutely do, and even though it isn't apparent by looking through our English-only forums, we surely must have Spanish-speaking members visiting the site, particularly bilingual ones with an interest in English-language mags.  But my previous comment about the need to locate a scanner with a passion for preserving Spanish-language mags still applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea i have no interest in these spanish mags let alone to pay for them. I'll never get around to scan them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MigJmz said:

yea i have no interest in these spanish mags let alone to pay for them. I'll never get around to scan them.

That's too bad. 😞

And I... wasn't going to ask for anything other than postage costs. 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MigJmz only has a flatbed scanner, so for him to do it would require at least twice the amount of work as the rest of us, so if he says he's got no interest/passion, then he's definitely the wrong guy for the task.  Scanning/editing with a flatbed is the worst. 😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you could convince E-Day to scan them if you promise to do the editing?  If you're willing/able to do the edits, that will make your offer a lot more manageable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ya I'm always willing to edit as long if its a quality scan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MigJmz said:

ya I'm always willing to edit as long if its a quality scan.

I was actually talking to Foxhack, but if you want to do the edits, that'll work, too.  Now you just need to find a scanner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way.. Anyways judging by some of the magazines in the pics are these A4 size mags? I can't do anything bigger then a4 so I couldn't scan them if I wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm quite sorry for not replying, things have been hectic down here and I was waiting for things to settle down... but... welp.

I would be more than happy to edit any magazines I donate. My big issue has always been scanning these in, but I can do editing.

That said... the US government just said there's going to be restrictions when traveling from Mexico to the US, and despite being a US citizen living in Mexico, I'm not sure if I would have problems crossing the border with packages to send, so I can't do much about that until I speak to some border agents about this. Additionally, my internet upload speed is atrocious, so I would probably have to send any edited files to someone else for uploading!

But yeah... this sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Foxhack said:

I'm quite sorry for not replying, things have been hectic down here and I was waiting for things to settle down... but... welp.

I would be more than happy to edit any magazines I donate. My big issue has always been scanning these in, but I can do editing.

That said... the US government just said there's going to be restrictions when traveling from Mexico to the US, and despite being a US citizen living in Mexico, I'm not sure if I would have problems crossing the border with packages to send, so I can't do much about that until I speak to some border agents about this. Additionally, my internet upload speed is atrocious, so I would probably have to send any edited files to someone else for uploading!

But yeah... this sucks.

Unless you're looking to get these out of your house right away, there's no rush in trying to get these to someone who can scan them. I'd wait until this Covid-19 fad blows over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, E-Day said:

Unless you're looking to get these out of your house right away, there's no rush in trying to get these to someone who can scan them. I'd wait until this Covid-19 fad blows over.

I'm not sure it's so much a rush to get them scanned right away as it is a need to find someone willing to scan them at all.  Phillyman is no longer an option.  I'm not interested (also not a viable candidate, since shipping would be insane).  Migjmz isn't interested in scanning them (but would edit).  So if this was a subtle way of suggesting that you don't have an interest in scanning them either, then timeliness is currently the least of his concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I'm trying to move this stuff out to someone that can keep these safe before I actually manage to move out of my house. (I was planning to move to the US, but with this mess, who the hell knows if that'll be possible anytime soon.) I don't need to ship them out ASAP, I just need someone to be able (and willing) to receive and scan them. Rather than do this at the last minute, I decided to do this now so I'm not rushed like I usually am.

We still have a few months, I guess, so there's time. And if nothing can be done I'll figure out a way to take them with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's currently a lot of talk about what percentage the death rate of COVID-19 is.  The numbers vary quite a bit since there are so many variables involved.

Here's a statistic without unknown variables that can be considered 100% fact:

Currently, for every Retromags member, there is a .00025% chance that they will scan magazines for our site.  And that's allowing for anything, including all the popular stuff.  Finding someone in that .00025% willing to scan foreign mags is obviously going to be harder.  Best bet might be to hope for some new blood to suddenly appear.

Seriously, contributing to this hobby really makes other kinds of piracy seem outright lazy.  There's a reason that millions of people share mp3s - it takes no effort.  Meanwhile the number of people scanning magazines in the world probably doesn't exceed low double digits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have way too much to scan. But if no one else can take them and foxhack is willing to ship them to me in Canada, then I will take them and scan them for someone else to edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 8:40 PM, E-Day said:

I already have way too much to scan. But if no one else can take them and foxhack is willing to ship them to me in Canada, then I will take them and scan them for someone else to edit.

I think it would be cheaper for me to fly up there and deliver them at your door than ship them to you. Friggin USPS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foxhack said:

I think it would be cheaper for me to fly up there and deliver them at your door than ship them to you. Friggin USPS...

🤣 You're probably not wrong.  Now you know why all of my mags are going straight into the recycling if I ever have to move back to America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.