File Distribution

ezekielcrow

i came across an interesting firefox extension today called AllPeers. The basic idea is that it allows you to share files with friends and family that you add to your buddy list. it uses the bitorrent protocal to distribute files, so it has the advantage of distributing bandwidth usage, but since it runs inside of the firefox browser, and you share files with you "buddies", it has no need for a central server, tracker, or client.

if retromags members were to install it and add each other to their buddy list, then one could share files with the whole community, or just a few members, without the need to upload to an ftp server, or rely on someone else's tracker. all you have to do is leave firefox open to download files or let people download files from you, similar to what many of you already do with a bitorrent slient.

read up about it here: http://www.allpeers.com/

personally, i think it could help the community. i have seen it mentioned in a few spots that help is needed editing scans to get them ready to release to the public. this would provide a rather easy way to share those files with only specific people without having to eat up server bandwidth transfering them to the server, and someone else downloading them. it would also allow new releases to be easily distributed to the retromags community before being released to the public on a bitorrent tracker.

anyway, thats my 2 cents worth. i hope you guys will give it some thought.

I think that the big public releases help to bring people in. Also, AllPeers doen't seem like it has caught on very widely yet. We need the widest distribution possible for the big releases to help bring people to the site. Finally, it seems like AllPeers runs a greater risk of tempting people to stop seeding torrents since hey are probably used to closing out browser windows when they are not using them whereas bittorrent clients are designed to stay open and have features that let them run in the background or minimize to the taskbar. In summary, I don't know if your suggestion would be the best thing for the project. If anyone disagrees, please feel free to speak up as it's entirely possible that I'm just being a stick in the mud.

i agree with you about releasing on public trackers to bring in membership, but i was thinking more along the lines of sharing files between members, such as scans that need to be edited, and maybe letting members download new releases with it instead of a public tracker as kind of a perk of being a member of the community.

i agree with you about releasing on public trackers to bring in membership, but i was thinking more along the lines of sharing files between members, such as scans that need to be edited, and maybe letting members download new releases with it instead of a public tracker as kind of a perk of being a member of the community.

I misunderstood. Though I have never used AllPeers, it does sound like a good way to transmit files to one another for editing, etc.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...