New Release - Goldeneye - The Official Nintendo Player's Guide

E-Day

7 hours ago, Sivilius said:

Oh dear god. I spent many long hours one gloomy day shrinking-wrapping & price tagging dozens of copies of this guide back when I worked at Electronics Boutique in 1997.

LOL, I'm sorry - I feel I can commiserate with you on this, having worked in retail at one point and doing these sorts of mind numbing tasks (sorting and tagging countless retail items). 

To the point of your post, I don't know what's sadder - the fact that EB felt the need to shrink wrap these guides, or that there were that many 007 guides to begin with that would have taken up hours of your time. I know it was a popular game, but wow. I suppose if there weren't so many 'freeloaders' who would walk into the store and peruse the guides to get just what info they needed then walk out without purchasing it, it wouldn't have been a thing. Thank goodness the Internet killed the need for these types of guides - (and my condolences to those who worked in the industry of putting these guides out).

Last year I replayed all 3 difficulty levels and was disappointed to discover that my memory of the harder difficulties offering up more complicated objectives was false.  There are additional objectives between agent and secret agent, but 00 agent doesn't add any extra objectives (though it is of course more difficult).

4 minutes ago, kitsunebi said:

Last year I replayed all 3 difficulty levels and was disappointed to discover that my memory of the harder difficulties offering up more complicated objectives was false.  There are additional objectives between agent and secret agent, but 00 agent doesn't add any extra objectives (though it is of course more difficult).

i've known for a long time that my memory is faulty, but i would've sworn that it added objectives for each difficulty. oh well.

Also, i double checked, and i do NOT own this mag any more. But i did find a Super Mario RPG guide that i didn't know i had. i guess that's a win?

22 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i've known for a long time that my memory is faulty, but i would've sworn that it added objectives for each difficulty. oh well.

I just checked a walkthrough, and 9 out of the 18 levels have at least one extra objective on 00 agent (the other 9 are identical to secret agent).  So it looks like my memory is faultier than yours - it only took a year for me to get confused.  I guess the strength of the memory of my disappointment over the 50% of the game without extra objectives overshadowed the memory of the 50% of the game with them.

• Haha 1

I should note it wasn't just the Goldeneye guide I did a lot of back then working at EB. The First-Person Shooter genre on N64 was wildly popular back in 1997 and I distinctly remember spending  quite a few hours shrinking-wrapping & price tagging strategy guides for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Doom 64. Doom 64 in particular we sold lots of game copies and guides for it during the the spring & summer of 1997, even moreso than Turok.

Of course all this pales in comparison to the Final Fantasy VII BradyGames guide which we sold BY FAR more of than anything other strategy guide that year.

7 hours ago, Sivilius said:

Of course all this pales in comparison to the Final Fantasy VII BradyGames guide which we sold BY FAR more of than anything other strategy guide that year.

Well then it should come as no surprise to you that the Bradygames FF VII guide is BY FAR our most downloaded file.

In fact, in just one year it's been downloaded more than 3 TIMES as much as Nintendo Power #1, our 2nd most downloaded mag (which took, what? 10, 15 years to accrue 1/3 of the downloads the FFVII guide has gotten in 1?)

Clearly, the world loves the FFVII strategy guide FAR FAR more than it loves any video game magazine ever printed.