EGM2/Expert Gamer #54 Holiday Guide

deroberstein800

Hey, all. This is a rather obscure question, but maybe someone here has an answer. I recently bought Expert Gamer #54, Dec. 1998 (featuring OoT on the cover), from eBay hoping to relive some nostalgia for years gone by. Everything is great, except one relatively minor detail. I swore XG #54 had a huge, multipage holiday gift guide, featuring lots of videogame related toys and action figures, at the back and I don't think my memory is faulty because I have looked at that particular magazine for years. However, the copy I received in the mail didn't have the gift guide. It leaves me perplexed; I'm positive it wasn't a subscriber exclusive because the copy I had back in the day was bought off a newsstand -- unless there was a mix up and a subscriber version wound up at the store I bought it from back in 1998.

Anyway, it's not really a big deal, I suppose, but the mystery has been nagging at me. If anyone can shed light on it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the replies. You guys may be right about it being a supplement that was lost. I want to say I'm 90% certain the gift guide was bound inside the magazine itself (I remember the copy of the magazine I had being surprisingly thick for XG which always seemed to be on the thin side) but I can't rule out that I'm remembering things incorrectly. The copy I bought on ebay shows no indication anywhere the holiday gift guide ever even existed so it being a supplement that came bagged with it but separate is probable.

9 hours ago, kitsunebi said:

I hope wanting the supplement wasn't the main reason you bought it.

Fortunately, no. I think I'm mostly just disturbed by the possibility that something I thought I remembered concretely was actually a false memory the whole time.

7 hours ago, deroberstein800 said:

Thanks for the replies. You guys may be right about it being a supplement that was lost. I want to say I'm 90% certain the gift guide was bound inside the magazine itself (I remember the copy of the magazine I had being surprisingly thick for XG which always seemed to be on the thin side) but I can't rule out that I'm remembering things incorrectly. The copy I bought on eBay shows no indication anywhere the holiday gift guide ever even existed so it being a supplement that came bagged with it but separate is probable.

Yeah, if it was bound in the magazine, there would almost certainly be some evidence that something had been removed.  If it's a stapled mag, it's possible that it could have been stapled into the center of the mag.  I remember some old Nintendo Power supplements like that.  It wouldn't be impossible to remove that sort of supplement without leaving a trace.  But a squarebound mag with anything removable bound to it would probably have been done so with a strip of sticky goo, which would almost certainly leave evidence like a discolored stain on the page if it were removed.

Most supplements aren't bound to mags, though.  There's not much point unless you want to avoid polybagging the newsstand edition so that it can still be browsed - but then you'd have the problem of a supplement that can easily be removed by said browser.