rpg reviews in Gamefan mag

zqman

Hi,

I am new to magazine collecting and first want to say what a wonderful work you guys are doing in preserving gaming mags of yesteryear. Keep it up.

I was wondering if anyone can help. I love classic console rpg games and know that the american Gamefan mag was really good for this particular genre

Does anyone know in which particular Gamefan issues the following rpgs and one platform game were reviewed?

Chrono trigger (SNES)

Star Ocean (SNES)

Terranigma (SNES)

Tales of Phantasia (SNES)

Dracula X Rondo of blood (PCEngine platformer )

As well as that were there any issues with big and special features on rpg games?

Any help is much appreciated

• Retromags Curator

Gamefan is one of the magazines we've been asked not to keep scans of, so any information on it will have to come from peoples' personal collections. I don't have many issues of Gamefan in my collection, but I'll help as best I can and hopefully some other people can chime in with more info.

The good news is, Gamefan loved RPGs, so almost any random issue you open will have something about the scene, either domestic or international.

The oldest issue of Gamefan I have in my collection is Vol. 1, No. 5 from April of 1993, and this one contains a hefty import RPG review section: Fhey Area, Aisle Lord, Lunar: Silver Star Story, Final Fantasy V, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Quest V, Villgust, Shining Force, and King Colossus. It doesn't have anything on any of the games you're looking for, alas, since it's a few years too early for them.

All my other issues are from the PlayStation era, so they wouldn't cover the games you're looking for either. Vol. 5, No. 4 includes some stuff on Final Fantasy VII, Wild Arms, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Vol. 5, No. 7 has info on Front Mission, Tobal No. 2, and Alundra. Vol. 6, No. 2 has articles on Breath of Fire III, Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario RPG 2, Mother 3, Shining Force 3, Tactics Ogre, Princess Crown, and a tiny bit on Pokemon Stadium.

Sadly, that's all I can help with. Any other Gamefan collectors in the house? :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

• Retromags Curator

I'm still on the fence about us not hosting Game Fan. We got the word about not hosting them third hand many years ago when Dave Halverson wanted to sell digital versions of the original magazines. He was working with OOPA at the time. If you go to the page that still lists them (http://outofprintarchive.com/catalogue/gamefan1.html) and try to click through to buy any of the three issues, the shopify link to do so no longer works.

• Like 1

I do have all the GameFans stored digitally on an external HDD (along with over 50 issues in physical form) in my closet, although I won't say how I obtained them. But I could look for you in the next few days. Based on the games listed some reviews would be in issues done in mid-to-late 1995. However I do not remember Star Ocean ever being fully reviewed in any issues of GameFan.