foxhound4lyf

Scanning with phone camera?

Hey all. Really like the preservation work this site is doing. I've followed some of the listed tutorials to scan my own magazines, but I'm curious if anyone has tried using their phone camera as opposed to a flatbed scanner? I have a Pixel 3a and a tripod, so I think it could make preserving my magazines wayyyy faster than individually turning each page in a scanner, but I'm sure there are issues I'm not thinking of.

Has anyone tried this? How were the results?

No. It would lack the quality standards we have here. We prefer that the mag is debinded and pages are scanned individually. Scanning the mag has a whole would have horrible blur down the center near the spine. Unless theres no actual text or graphic near the spine this method isn't good. This is why ADF scanners are the preferred way. You can feed the pages rather quickly and the scans are better quality.

Ah that makes sense. I had been debinding and scanning pages one at a time in my flatbed, so I was curious if using a phone would just speed up the process. I was concerned about the quality though, so I won't go down that route.

I was wary of ADF scanners due to my all-in-one scanner gobbling up some pages. Which, it is an all-in-one, so it's not the best. And I wasn't sure how the team here felt about ADFs from reading the Scanning a Magazine tutorial, but it seems like the most active contributors here use them. 

Are there any lists/posts for ADF scanners that contributors have used? I couldn't find any in the forum search. I know they can get pretty pricey, but I'm willing to spend a bit for quicker, high quality scans. 

Fuji's Scansnap iX500 are popular here. But any Adf's that can do 600dpi will be probably good too. Even though we dont use 600dpi.

• Like 1