Procedures For Magazine Scanning!

kizer21

Okay, I have tons of Nintendo Power magazines and they all look brand new. First of all, I would like to know what are the procedures for scanning magazines or any documents for that matter. I don't want to destroy my magazines in the process of scanning them to my computer. Also, what format should these scans be in. .pdf is the only one I'm familiar with. Once in format, is there anything special I need to do before uploading? Now, about scanning, I don't want to tear the backing out of the pages. Can I scan without doing this?

Next, what is missing? I know about the big torrent and I know there are some things missing in it. We should really work together to fill in the missing slots with top quality scans. Personally, I think we should complete the entire set of Nintendo Power by working together before moving onto to another magazine. It just makes everything more structured and manageable, you know! Plus, having a complete collection and working together to do this would give everyone personal satisfaction and I think it could be fun.

Kizer

The idea was to stay 5 years behind the current issues of Nintendo Power. I believe that everything in that range has been scanned. I don't know about the stuff that was missing from the big torrent though. Those who are more closely involved with scanning (Philly, 420, etc) may be able to better answer your question.

This is the big torrent I see!

#2 and #3 of Fun Club are missing. Some issues in the 80s and 90s plus 100s are missing. I could probably fix the missing posters in some of those issues. Anyone know of any existing scans from the big torrent that could be improved due to tears in the magazine or something? Okay, so this remains 5 years behind the latest Nintendo Power issues? I like old school myself, but I wouldn't mind the newer ones either. Either way is fine for me though.

Fun Club News Volumes: 1, 4, 5

Nintendo Power Volumes: 1-83, 86, 88, 93-102, 111 (missing poster), 112, 113-119 (missing posters), 120, 121-122 (missing posters & covers), 123-127 (missing posters), 128 (missing poster & cover), 129-130 (missing posters), 132-134, 135-136 (missing posters & covers), 137 (missing poster), 138-139 (missing posters & covers), 140 (missing poster), 141, 143-145 (missing posters)

Supplements:

Captain 'N' Volumes 1-7

Zelda Tips & Tactics

Howard & Nester Volumens 1-55

Game Pak Directory

Mario 2 Inside Out Parts 1 & 2

Dragon Warrior Strategy

World Of Nintendo

Pak Source

Classified Information

Super Mario Adventures (32-43)

Zelda 3 Comics (32-43)

Zelda 3 Strategy

StarFox Comics (45-55)

Mario Vs. Wario Comics (45, 56)

Link's Awakening Strategy

Super Metroid Comics (57-61)

Super Metroid Strategy

kizer, good idea. I think scanning them in at 300DPI and having them in JPEG format is all you need to know really. Group them together and put them in a .cbz file for CDReader comic-book reading program. I know people here are fussy with wanting to edit the images afterwards though, messing around with brightness and contrast etc.

There's nothing stopping you from scanning in later issues to share elsewhere.

Are you guys scanning the adverts as well?

I'm starting to scan one magazine and there are a lot of recruitment adverts in there that slow scanning each magazine down. Of course the game ads themselves are quite interesting.

Scandarella.

The general policy is to scan everything including the ads.

The general policy is to scan everything including the ads.

No probs. I'll scan the adverts as well. Out of interest what scanners are people using?

I've got a HP 5590 which does a magazine page at 300dpi in 21 seconds. Its meant to have an ADF but that leaves giant green and red lines down the picture so I'm doing them one at a time.

Does anyone know of a fast, cheap and good scanner that I could change this one for as it looks like it should go back to the shop.

Scandarella.

No probs. I'll scan the adverts as well. Out of interest what scanners are people using?

I've got a HP 5590 which does a magazine page at 300dpi in 21 seconds. Its meant to have an ADF but that leaves giant green and red lines down the picture so I'm doing them one at a time.

Does anyone know of a fast, cheap and good scanner that I could change this one for as it looks like it should go back to the shop.

Scandarella.

In the comic scanning circles I always hear to stay away from HP and Visioneer, both having mutiple problems.

I have a Cannon that has served me very well for a couple years now (built like a tank) and I have no complaints.

Well the HP has been returned to the shop after it left lines when using the ADF. It was pretty damn quick when scanning manually though. Can anyone recommend me a replacement that is speedy? I'm pretty sure it scanned a page in ~15 seconds at 300dpi. I'm trying to find out how long other scanners will take but most websites don't list speeds. I quite like the look of the small Canon ones that are barely bigger than the size of the page.

All help appreciated guys.

I've got a Canoscan LiDE 80. I got it on sale at Staples for something like....$80 a couple years ago.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1306978,00.asp

The scans take a long time, but the result is good.

Also, what about descreen?

http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

http://www.scantips.com/basics6b.html

Look at the examples on the second page.

I scanned everything without descreen until I noticed it was mandatory for submissions for another scanning website. I didn't know what it was, Googled it, and found that page.

Needless to say, everything I scan now has descreen enabled, including my current....scannings...of the Nintendo Power Player's Guides. It makes the scans even slower (I'll time a full bed scan next time and post it) but the result is MUCH better.

I haven't looked at Retromag's scans of the old Nintendo Powers, but was descreen enabled? And, is it or should it be required?

I've got a Canoscan LiDE 80. I got it on sale at Staples for something like....$80 a couple years ago.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1306978,00.asp

The scans take a long time, but the result is good.

Also, what about descreen?

http://www.scantips.com/basics06.html

http://www.scantips.com/basics6b.html

Look at the examples on the second page.

I scanned everything without descreen until I noticed it was mandatory for submissions for another scanning website. I didn't know what it was, Googled it, and found that page.

Needless to say, everything I scan now has descreen enabled, including my current....scannings...of the Nintendo Power Player's Guides. It makes the scans even slower (I'll time a full bed scan next time and post it) but the result is MUCH better.

I haven't looked at Retromag's scans of the old Nintendo Powers, but was descreen enabled? And, is it or should it be required?

Oh yeah...descreen is nessasary when scanning magazines and such. ;)

Oh yeah...descreen is nessasary when scanning magazines and such. ;)

That's a good thing. I was amazed at the difference in quality once I realized I was supposed to enable it.

Anyway, I don't remember how long it takes me to scan the entire area of my scanner without descreen enabled, but with it enabled on a Canon Canoscan LiDE 80, it takes 2 minutes and 14 seconds.

You people with the super fast scanners are lucky. :(

There's two modes on the scanner that I have (Canon 4200F) - a magazine mode that applies a descreen filter I think (which must explain its slower speed) and a photo mode. After scanning half a magazine in magazine mode I swapped to photo mode as despite having a slight moire effect the colors were a LOT better. Colors were terrible in the magazine mode. Converting down from 300dpi to 150 dpi fixes the moire problem.

So far I have been cutting the magazines up to scan them as it saves a lot of time although I'll keep wishing for a document feeder. :-)