Magazines Triggering Non-Gaming Memories

JHD

Ok, so the title is a bit odd, but I cannot find a better way to phrase it.

Sometimes, a gaming magazine will remind me of what happened in a particular month/year. For  example, the latest upload of PSM is from August 1998.  I did not own a PlayStation at that time and so I was utterly unaware that this title existed. On the other hand, August 1998 was a very significant month for me as that was when I moved cross-country (far away from my family) to attend Grad School. Most of that month was consumed with making arrangements (flights, hotels, shipping large items ahead of me),  tidying my affairs at home, packing, and still working part-time. Early in the morning of August 28 I embarked on my journey. Not every month/year has significant memories, but some certainly do.  

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I can remember specific things about certain magazines that don't relate to me playing a game talked about in that issue. Like I remember where I was when I first saw the December 1992 issue of EGM on a Christmas shopping trip to the city and how excited I was to read it at home because at that point it was the thickest magazine I had seen. Or being in the school library in grade 8 and seeing someone from grade 7 walk in with the June 1992 issue of GamePro and getting into a conversation with him.

None of my memories are as elaborate as the one you talked about, but there are a bunch of them and they are the reason I cherish some issues of magazines over others. It's almost never about the actual magazine contents.

• Like 2

I guess I have one. The January 1994 issue of EGM reminds me of the first time I visited my best friends' house.

I was very into Mortal Kombat 2 at the time and I remember he had this issue on his bookshelf. I was surprised because I had not seen the cover before, I missed grabbing that issue at the grocery store somehow.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...