...just making sure nobody called "dibs" on scanning these

crispycassette

It's not a library by any means, but it's a start! All Items are from 2006 and prior. If you had already called dibs on one of these, let me know!!

Neopets – The Official Magazine No. 13 (Beckett Media)

Neopets – The Official Magazine No. 17 (Beckett Media)

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Mario Mania

Nintendo Player’s Guide – NES Game Atlas

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars (Interior is nice - Front/Back cover in rough shape, but maybe someone skilled with photoshop could fix it up)

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Super NES (Already Available for download)

Nintendo Power Supplement – Classified Information

Nintendo Power Supplement – Dragon Warrior Strategy Guide

Nintendo Power Supplement – Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out – Super Power Tip Book Part I

Nintendo Power Supplement – Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out – Super Power Tip Book Part II

Prima – Pokemon Pocket Pokedex (Over 380 Pokemon)

Prima Strategy Guide – The Hobbit

Prima Strategy Guide – Pokemon Ranger

Prima Strategy Guide – Sonic Heroes

Not sure what to do with this one… how to classify it.

Scholastic – Dynamite Issue 114

When you read the first 22 pages of the magazine all is normal. Page 23 is upside down though, why on earth would that be? Well, because if you flip the publication around it’s actually two Magazines!

ARCADE – Fun and Games for the Computer-Age Kid

Scholastic did a few of these “Double Feature” as part of their long running Dynamite Magazine. I’ve only seen evidence that proves they did four of the ARCADE-flips (Issues 104,107, 114, 119 – 111 might be but I’ve misplaced it – 115 is definitely just “Dynamite”). The one I have has an interview with Don Bluth about Dragon's Lair.

20 hours ago, crispycassette said:

Nintendo Power Supplement – Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out – Super Power Tip Book Part I

Nintendo Power Supplement – Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out – Super Power Tip Book Part II

i know all of these were here at one point, because i was searching for the Inside Out guides myself. i ended up buying them (both?) off eBay, and i thought i scanned them, but i can't find them by browsing the forums, so who knows?

are they not included with their respective issues?

Classified Information - NP #12

Dragon Warrior - NP #9

SMB2 Part1 - NP #7

SMB2 Part2 - NP #8

On 1/19/2021 at 10:15 PM, crispycassette said:

Not sure what to do with this one… how to classify it.

When you read the first 22 pages of the magazine all is normal. Page 23 is upside down though, why on earth would that be? Well, because if you flip the publication around it’s actually two Magazines!

This format is very common here in Canada with (Federal) government publications that are issued in both official languages.  "French text on inverted pages" is the commonly used physical description. 

I cannot recall having seen two different publications being printed together in this way, other than a very few examples of "humour" magazines and such like. Personally, I would treat it as two separate titles and create two distinct scans/files. It has been many years since I did original cataloguing, but there are rules for disparate publications that have been physically bound together. 

On 1/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, crispycassette said:

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Mario Mania

Nintendo Player’s Guide – NES Game Atlas

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars

Nintendo Player’s Guide – Super NES (Already Available for download)

These I know have been scanned ages ago and were uploaded to places like Underground gamer and elsewhere. Some were scanned by 420 scans. The Eye has some of them. Some more here and here.

If you want to scan them again and submit them to retromags then be my guest. RM won't accept random scans but only with permission from the scanner. This is the list of Nintendo Power suppliments scanned on the site:

https://www.retromags.com/magazines/usa/nintendo-power/nintendo-power-supplements/

Prima Strategy Guide – The Hobbit

Prima Strategy Guide – Pokemon Ranger

Prima Strategy Guide – Sonic Heroes

I don't think these are scanned.

Prima – Pokemon Pocket Pokedex (Over 380 Pokemon)

There is a prima pokemon guide scanned. Is this the same thing?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JonnyCGood said:

There is a prima Pokemon guide scanned. Is this the same thing?

This is something different - It's a book published by Prima that isn't a guide/walkthrough per se, but contains information on each Pokémon that is available across many different Pokémon titles. ISBN: 0-7615-5376-2

I'll focus on the ones that haven't been uploaded in the past and are not as readily available elsewhere.

[Referring to Dynamite/ARCADE] This format is very common here in Canada with (Federal) government publications that are issued in both official languages.  "French text on inverted pages" is the commonly used physical description.

I cannot recall having seen two different publications being printed together in this way, other than a very few examples of "humour" magazines and such like. Personally, I would treat it as two separate titles and create two distinct scans/files. It has been many years since I did original cataloguing, but there are rules for disparate publications that have been physically bound together. 

That makes sense for a bilingual publication... I think I've seen some instruction manuals do that in the past.

Difficult to say if we can consider it a separate publication since it never existed outside of being the flip-side to Dynamite, but I think that approach makes the most sense.

i know all of these were here at one point, because i was searching for the Inside Out guides myself. i ended up buying them (both?) off eBay, and i thought i scanned them, but i can't find them by browsing the forums, so who knows?

are they not included with their respective issues?

Classified Information - NP #12

Dragon Warrior - NP #9

SMB2 Part1 - NP #7

SMB2 Part2 - NP #8

I honestly did not think to look in the respective issues, I was solely looking in the Supplements portion of the database, which lists them as missing. My understanding from perusing the comments and other posts here are as follows:
* The Nintendo Power magazine scans are of a sub-par quality and due for an overhaul to meet current archival standards.

* Many Nintendo Player's Guides (and perhaps these Nintendo Power Supplements, also) were removed from the site when a forum member rage-quit the site and got protective of their scans.

I appreciate the input - I'll focus on the Prima items and ARCADE that don't appear to be as readily available on other sites and we'll see what happens from there.
Thank you!

18 hours ago, JonnyCGood said:

These I know have been scanned ages ago and were uploaded to places like Underground gamer and elsewhere. Some were scanned by 420 scans. The Eye has some of them. Some more here and here.

Thank-you for letting us know about this site!

As a professional librarian, websites like this cause me mixed feelings: it is a truly amazing repository of content of all sorts, but there is literally no organization nor even some mechanism to search the files.  It is like venturing into a "library" where the books are all piled randomly on the shelves (and the floor). It is near impossible to find anything specific.   Sigh. 

Edited by JHD