E-Day

Anyone well versed in the old Mac OS?

I am hoping someone here is familiar with Mac OS from back in the day, specifically Mac OS 9. I picked up an old iMac G3 (in blue) this past weekend to play around with. More specifically, the Video Game History Foundation's Frank Cifaldi, aka TheRedEye on this site, put a zip file on Google Drive containing the QuarkXPress files and assets for a page of GamePro magazine that he got off the disks he grabbed from their office when they closed.

I could not open the files on legacy version of QuarkXPress for Windows and likewise I cannot get them open on the iMac either. They don't show up in the open dialog box in Quark 3.1, 4.1 or 5. No extension, added extension, nothing works. Now, I am very unfamiliar with Mac OS and how it works, so I am hoping someone here knows something that can help.

I used to very much be into the older Mac OS scene, even running "Macintosh Garden"(a site that hosted downloads of older Mac-based games) for a while. Do you happen to know what version, or around what version of Quark the files were originally created in? That program has always been pretty notorious when it comes to opening something that wasn't created on its exact version...

Back to it, though, one of the tricks that you can use in Mac OS 9 to open files is to simply drag them to the App's icon. Try that at some point and see if you, at least, get some sort of error message. Let me know...

They were created on Quark 3.31 or 3.32. Since posting this Frank provided me with the ISOs for the one issue he got those files from. I couldn't open the initial ones because once they touch Windows they lose their file association in Mac. So the Mac just saw them as documents.

I am currently going through all the content pages and replacing all the missing fonts. After that I have to go back and put back the missing images and artwork. I'm going this in Illustrator on Windows; I exported the Quark files to EPS files on the iMac and brought them over to Windows.

• Like 1

Talk about dedication...you're insane, E-Day, and I love you. :)

*huggles*
Areala

I wouldn't really do this for any other magazine, but GamePro was my magazine growing up, and seeing how it was created is fascinating :)