Japanese/Russian magazines and guidebooks

Bigmanjapan

Hello.

I'm a part of VGSC, a project dedicated to high-quality scanning that mostly revolves around gaming-related materials. If you're interested in standards of the projects, you can read about them here: https://scanning.guide/

1. My main place of storage is archive.org: https://archive.org/details/@bigmanjapan

I've already scanned 21 Japanese guide books (more to come), you can find them by searching my archive.org profile for "600 DPI" text in case if you want descreened/color calibrated variants (be sure to download CBZ archives, NOT PDF files — CBZ files are the initial uploaded files, PDF files are derived by archive.org and are of poorer quality) or searching for "RAW" text in case you want raw/unedited 1200 DPI variants of the same books. My point is, if you want to host them on retromags, feel free to do it.

2. Currently I reside in Russia and can help with scanning Russian gaming magazines. I browsed through the Russian magazines section here on retromags and have several question:

a. Do you only accept scans and not e-book variants of the magazines? For example, Game.EXE magazine is almost entirely available in e-book quality. The e-books quality is better than any scan currently available on the net (on Russian torrent trackers, for example) but it would be worse in comparison to the same magazines scanned "properly" with VGSC standards.

b. Have you searched through Russian torrent trackers for the materials that were already scanned?

In general, nice project you have here.

• Like 2

so here's our rules about providing scans:

1. Scans must be scanned by You. They cannot be from any other source. We cannot accept those unless they give us permission to be added here.

2. They have to be visually acceptable. So no crooked or damaged pages. Also no shadow on the edge of the pages so they must be debinded and scanned.

3. Must be 2200px height in page size or up to 3240. 300-600 ppi is wanted but can be lower.

4. Mags that are still in circulation or are sold online by the publisher cant be added. (I might be wrong on this but just to be safe)

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

https://www.silenthillmemories.net/publications/guides_en.htm

This fansite hosts a bunch of your Sh scans, and erroneously credits me as having scanned several SH books. To clarify, I never did and these were scanned by an unknown scangroup and released on manga sites which I then uploaded to archive. I've only uploaded a few, when I have even more downloaded. I've just procrastinated on that front. I'll upload the rest of their SH scans today.

Edited by JonnyCGood

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, Bigmanjapan said:

Hello.

I'm a part of VGSC, a project dedicated to high-quality scanning that mostly revolves around gaming-related materials. If you're interested in standards of the projects, you can read about them here: https://scanning.guide/

I just wanted to say thanks for that guide. It really helped me get going when I was trying to figure things out.

I have some japanese guide books as well. Only scanned one so far. I didn't see any sections for that here so wasn't sure if there was interest. I have no idea how they'd be categorized.