Updated Release - Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 57 (April 1994)

E-Day

• Retromags Curator
On 5/15/2021 at 2:12 AM, Sivilius said:

Let's see if anyone can spot the April Fool's joke in this issue. And let's just say the obvious answer is the wrong answer...

I read this issue when it first came out. My brother and I were convinced the joke had to be the presence of some unnamed hidden boss character in the Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo game. It seemed the most likely, considering the Sheng Long gag from a couple of years earlier. But of course, Akuma was legit and we were duped. :)

If memory serves, the gag turned out to be a news blurb about Radio Shack re-issuing tons of Atari 2600 software due to consumer demand for less violent video games. :)

(Edit: memory did not serve, as the "joke" this issue turns out to be the misspelling of "Streets of Rage 3" as "Streeets" on the cover. That's not an April Fools gag, that's a typo. That's the kind of crap we'd expect from a LamePro entry, not the mag that fooled us with the promise of Simon Belmont in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II but I guess that's what happens when Martin Alessi is no longer around to keep the tradition of quality going).

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

• Like 2