Jump to content

PSM scanning back catalog?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Good morning all!

I recently came across Retro Mags and find it to be an absolutely amazing project!  I fully intend to donate just as soon as my work hours get back to normal (soon hopefully), but in the meantime I was wondering if someone could advise how the back catalog of the PlayStation-specific PSM magazine is?  I was so happy to see that the first years' worth of PSM is uploaded as they were the only issues I missed on, and I have the last couple of months of '99 thru whatever year they stopped being PSM and started being PlayStation: The Official Magazine (and about a year of that too) in storage somewhere.  If the guys running this site already have those then great and I will eagerly anticipate their eventual scanning (while enjoying the other already uploaded treasures), but if not, I would like to grab them out of storage and donate them for scanning/uploading.  I wasn't sure if it was possible to see what their un-scanned inventory is, so if that is somewhere and I missed it then I apologize and wonder if you would point me the right way.  Thanks!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator

Welcome to Retromags, @BlitzFitness! :)

There's no single, easy-to-check way to learn exactly what our scanners have on hand, but I can give a few pointers.

First, the Magazine Database section has an option for editors to set issues to "Scanning" status. Most scanners will do this for the next several issues in their queue just so people know what's coming or so two different people don't work on the same issue independently. In the case of PSM, you can see that, right now, issues 13, 16, 17, 28, 29, etc... are currently marked as "Scanning", so sooner rather than later, they should be popping up. But since I recently sent 38 PSM issues to @MigJmz, the database hasn't been updated to account for those yet, so there's more than meets the eye in many places; just because it says "Missing" doesn't mean we don't have it. Issues 14, 19, 22, 25, 26, 27, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 53, 54, 56, 60, 62, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 97, and Code Book 2000 were in the haul I sent, so there's plenty of PSM goodness still to come. :)

The second way is to check the forums. Some members, like @E-Day, keep a "Work in Progress" thread they update periodically to show what's coming down the pipeline. As you can see from that thread, he's got his hands full with a ton of EGM's. We received an absolutely monstrous donation of mags back in 2019, and they all wound up on E-Day's front porch. I'm not entirely sure he knows everything that showed up in that haul, but as you can see it's kept him busy for over two years already. :) 

The third way is to do what you did here, and make a new thread or ask in the Shoutbox. Late-era PSMs (and early-era PlayStation: The Official Magazine issues) seem to be fairly hard to come by these days, so I'd be surprised if we had more than a handful awaiting digitization. Donations are always welcome, but everybody always has a lot on their plates, so I'll let them work out how best to proceed. Thanks so much for becoming a member, and for the generous offer! I hope your stay here is as exciting as it can be! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your response!  I'll hang on to them (once I grab them from storage) until after the currently outstanding ones get done and that way I will know what needs to be submitted, etc.  Appreciate your help!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator
32 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

my output is slow because i'm scanning on a flatbed but I will eventually get to all the PSM mags donated by Areala.

We need to use some of the slush fund to get you a better scanner. I did, I think, two mags on a flatbed before I gave up. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, Areala said:

The second way is to check the forums. Some members, like @E-Day, keep a "Work in Progress" thread they update periodically to show what's coming down the pipeline. As you can see from that thread, he's got his hands full with a ton of EGM's. We received an absolutely monstrous donation of mags back in 2019, and they all wound up on E-Day's front porch. I'm not entirely sure he knows everything that showed up in that haul, but as you can see it's kept him busy for over two years already. :) 

Happily I am done editing everything listed in that last post and they will be released (hopefully) daily over the next two months. Apart from some odds and ends that I will be doing next (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision game catalogues, a VG&CE), I first want to concentrate on restoring the August 1995 issue of GamePro from the digital files I got from @TheRedEye which will get released with a new scan of the magazine. After that I have a couple of boxes from someone on Facebook that I have been sitting on for years. Those are exclusively Nintendo Powers from 1996 onwards, about 114 issues. And I still have a box of the very early Nintendo Powers from that massive donation that I still have to get to. Plus more from @daemonZ. It never ends!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator
2 minutes ago, E-Day said:

Happily I am done editing everything listed in that last post and they will be released (hopefully) daily over the next two months. Apart from some odds and ends that I will be doing next (Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision game catalogues, a VG&CE), I first want to concentrate on restoring the August 1995 issue of GamePro from the digital files I got from @TheRedEye which will get released with a new scan of the magazine. After that I have a couple of boxes from someone on Facebook that I have been sitting on for years. Those are exclusively Nintendo Powers from 1996 onwards, about 114 issues. And I still have a box of the very early Nintendo Powers from that massive donation that I still have to get to. Plus more from @daemonZ. It never ends!!

So what you're saying is you want me to send those GamePros right away?

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator
2 minutes ago, Areala said:

So what you're saying is you want me to send those GamePros right away?

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

That's up to you. GamePro would get scanned right away I think ;).

What's a few more issues added to the 100+ already? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Retromags Curator
1 minute ago, E-Day said:

That's up to you. GamePro would get scanned right away I think ;).

What's a few more issues added to the 100+ already? :D

Ah, so I should throw in the "Computer Games Strategy Plus / Computer Games Magazine / Computer Games" issues then too?

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...