9 members have voted

1. 1. Are you remote working

• Fully Remote
    • Partially Remote
    • Not Remote Any Longer
    • Was never remote when Covid started

• Retromags Curator
1 minute ago, Areala said:

As someone who works retail, there's literally no way to do my job from home, so... :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

I know that feeling, I was retail for many many years. Did 4-5 Black Fridays at Bestbuy. Was not fun waking up at 3am to be at work by 4am.

I like to maintain a sharp distinction between work and not-work, so I refuse to "work from home" on general principles. I even stopped taking vacation days after January 2020. (HR has since forced me to take days off as I have too much accumulated vacation time.)

That said, I am a librarian with a strong emphasis on doing research for our clients. Given that I do not have a comprehensive reference collection in my apartment*, I cannot easily do my job from elsewhere. 

*Actually, I do have a very large personal library, but the subject matter does not relate to my job. 

• Retromags Curator

I've been working remotely since March of last year. March 16 I think. We were told to take our computers home in case it was announced that we would be working from home, and everyone was expecting it to only before a couple of weeks. Over a year later we are all still at home in my department, with the exception of some people who need to be in the office now and then and the researchers who work in the labs. I think some of them are back but not all the time.

The other week we were told that anyone who doesn't have to be in the office to do their job will be working from home until the end of the year at least. The first people to go back are the people with priority; they either need to be on site to do their job fully or because of other circumstances relating to mental health and being isolated at home. Currently they are working on reorganizing all the floors in our building to accommodate those who will work at the office full time going back and the rest of us who will have a hybrid setup, where we work at the office some days and work at home the others. That is what I said my preference was when they sent out a survey.

However thinking about it more, I am not sure How much I will like that. I miss being at the office, but I don't miss commuting to and from the office. I won't have my own cubicle anymore and will share it with one or more people so it will no longer be personalized. Plus having to bring my work laptop and dock (and mouse and keyboard probably) back and forth will probably get annoying quickly. Working at home has given me more time to scan and edit magazines for the site and more time to do things around the house. I'll have to see how the hybrid setup works, and depending how it goes, hopefully I will have the chance to change my mind and say I want to be at the office all the time if I decide that would work best for me. I doubt I will decide that considering how much money I save not having to drive or pay for parking or have after school care, but I do miss being around my colleagues in person.

For my company, they are expecting us back on Sept 6th. They are going to allow a hybrid work environment where we can be on site three times a week and home twice a week.

I don't have a personal office where I am at. We have those "open space" workplaces where we have an assigned room and sit at an available desk with no cubicle walls. That setup has been the industry rage for a few years, so we'll see if their design layout changes.

• Retromags Curator
12 minutes ago, Ethereal Dragonz said:

For my company, they are expecting us back on Sept 6th. They are going to allow a hybrid work environment where we can be on site three times a week and home twice a week.

I don't have a personal office where I am at. We have those "open space" workplaces where we have an assigned room and sit at an available desk with no cubicle walls. That setup has been the industry rage for a few years, so we'll see if their design layout changes.

I hate that setup. hoteling stations is what they are called I believe, and in government it's workplace 3.0. They were talking about moving to that but there were a lot of complaints. And studies have shown it doesn't work well as it can cause a lot of distractions. They have that sort of setup in my department for the contractors working in the IT branch. I feel bad for those poor bastards.

i work in an office attached to a warehouse, with duties covering both ends of that spectrum. So while i was lucky enough to be laid off for 16 weeks last year (i say lucky because i was able to still get paid), i've been "back to work" since August of last year. no work from home here. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Ethereal Dragonz said:

I don't have a personal office where I am at. We have those "open space" workplaces where we have an assigned room and sit at an available desk with no cubicle walls. 

What a horrible environment! I assume that nobody ever makes (or receives) telephone calls or discusses topics that they do not wish to share with everyone else. 

I have always had my own office (albeit sometimes very small). I can have my own pictures on the wall, I can talk on the phone as required, and I can even listen to music if I so choose.  I can only imagine the uproar that would occur if management tried to abolish personal offices.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 10:09 AM, JHD said:

What a horrible environment! I assume that nobody ever makes (or receives) telephone calls or discusses topics that they do not wish to share with everyone else. 

I have always had my own office (albeit sometimes very small). I can have my own pictures on the wall, I can talk on the phone as required, and I can even listen to music if I so choose.  I can only imagine the uproar that would occur if management tried to abolish personal offices.  

fully agreed. i have never had my own office, but my company is currently in plans to build a new HQ. there is no doubt that i end up with not only my own office, but a big one at that. I'm actually having a difficult time processing that. but i also very much look forward to decorating my office. but i'm a little intimidated with that same fact. I mean, obviously i will have my "signed" (not really signed) photo of Tom Anderson (Myspace Tom, which ALWAYS elicits a confused look from visitors) on display. And i'm working on a "treasure map" based off the OG Legend of Zelda. But what other crazy/awesome/confusing artifacts do i show off?

18 hours ago, twiztor said:

But what other crazy/awesome/confusing artifacts do i show off?

My desk includes:

A framed photo of my Family and I 

A small souvenir from Paris (gifted to the previous occupant of my office; left behind when he moved on)

A rock from Prince Edward Island (made from unique, red-coloured sand)

On my walls are my diplomas and a large framed historic photograph from the 1950s. I usually also have a calendar showing either historic Canadian scenes or architecture/buildings.    

• Thanks 1