Game collection value

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

So as retro gaming has become unaffordable, I decided to use Price Charting to see what the value of some of my games were worth. It uses completed sales on ebay to provide valuation, so if that is your main source of buying retro games, I suppose it's a good metric. If I were to sell anything it would most likely be on ebay before anywhere else.

Thankfully I have a USB barcode scanner to make the job a lot easier. After entering all my games and consoles over the course of a few weeks, from Sega Master System games all the way up to Switch games, it's telling my my collection is worth Can$13,000. That's a bit off because I have a brand new indigo Gamecube, but it's not a launch version. It's the version put out at the end of its lifecycle that I paid $25 for. Since there aren't different Indigo models on the site, it seems to think it's an original and has it worth $622.

So not including that, the top 10 most valuable items I have according to Price Charting (and thus ebay) are (in Canadian dollars):

1. Super NES Super Set, Complete in box ($460)
  2. Sega CD Model 2 Console, New but listed as Complete in box ($431)
  3. Sega Master System, Complete in Box ($386)
  4. Golden Axe Warrior for Sega Master System , Complete in box ($381)
  5. Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride for Nintendo DS, New ($344)
  6. New Nintendo 3DS XL Black, Complete in box ($377)
  7. Lunar The Silver Star for Sega CD, Complete in box ($302)
  8. Seda CD Model 1, loose ($277)
  9. Wii U Console 32GB Black, Complete in box ($226)
  10. Dragon Quest IV Chapters of the Chosen for the Nintendo DS, New ($212)

The prices are crazy. Unless you get lucky at flea markets, thrift shops and garage sales, I don't know how people afford to collect this stuff these days.

Yeah it is pretty crazy how much that stuff is going for, especially graded sealed games.

While its cool to have boxed games sitting around on a shelf for coolness factor, most of this stuff can be emulated on a Raspberry PI 4 very well (up to the Dreamcast era for consoles and DS for handhelds) if anyone actually wants to play these.

I hear ya.

I have a box of old Sega CD games (including cases and manuals) including Lunar 1 & 2, SoulStar, Vay, Dark Wizard, Sonic CD, and a few others that are worth a pretty penny. I was shocked too that they were worth that much. Not to mention my original 1997 Castlevania: SotN and various PS1 & PS2 RPGs.

Hell even my GameCube component cable is worth well over $100 all by itself. 😳

• Retromags Curator

I'd love to own certain games just for the sake of owning them, but not at the prices they go for now. Heck, 15 years ago I never finished my North American Sega Master System collection because I didn't want to pay the $100 it would have cost for a complete copy of James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing. Now that copy goes for $1,100. Who actually pays that?

Yeah the prices of sealed graded games is beyond insane lately. It used to be mostly NES games, but recently Super Mario 64 for N64 was sold for an insane price. I've never checked the prices for my games but now I'm curious. I only have some Wii, Wii U, DS, and a handful of PS2 games. I'm guessing my Dragon Quest IV DS is probably my most valuable.

Also, you got to love it when a listing is showing said item is RARE! If there are 50 copies listed on Ebay I wouldn't consider said item is rare.

• Retromags Curator

I have a CiB "Keio Flying Squadron" on the Sega CD for which I paid about $10 back in the late 90's after the Sega CD went defunct. Apparently, the going rate for such a thing on eBay is between $4,000 ~ $5,000 US.

Like...WTF? Who is actually paying that much for this game, and why? :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Retromags Curator

Maybe that person who has spent a decade or more collecting for the Sega CD and the last game he needs is that one. I can see someone just biting the bullet and paying that so he can have the complete collection.

At least you know that if you ever need money badly, you can sell that thing off after you burn a copy of it :)

• Retromags Curator
8 hours ago, E-Day said:

Maybe that person who has spent a decade or more collecting for the Sega CD and the last game he needs is that one. I can see someone just biting the bullet and paying that so he can have the complete collection.

At least you know that if you ever need money badly, you can sell that thing off after you burn a copy of it :)

That's not even the most expensive Sega CD game either. The game's demo is more expensive than the actual game. Mainly because, like idiots, they included the whole game on the demo disc, so you can use a level skip cheat to jump past the point where the code has been altered to end the play session. 🤣

*huggles*

• Haha 1

• Retromags Curator
2 hours ago, E-Day said:

I didn't even know there was a demo of that game. How was it distributed?

Came bundled with the December 1994 issue of "Sega Pro CD" magazine in the UK. The cover touted it as "The biggest-ever Mega-CD demo!" which was accurate, since it was, you know, the whole bloody game stuffed on there, and not just the first level like the magazine claimed... :)

To my knowledge, no North America or Japan demo was released, so this is a PAL territory only oddity. But still. :)

*huggles*

I've been dumping a lot of PS2 and rare sealed PSP games i stockpiled about 10 years ago when they were being blown out everywhere. It's nuts what stuff is going for, maybe i'll regret it in a few years but it's hard to complain about getting 5-10x what you paid originally on some of this.

• Like 1

i've got a pretty good sized game collection, mostly Nintendo stuff. according to GameValueNow (it calculates prices similar to PriceCharting) i have a total value of $22,000 in games and accessories. It's really hard not to cash out, as i can't see these prices staying at this level for much longer before they start to decline again. On the other hand, i'm so happy that i've been doing this for as long as i have so i was able to get all the games i've wanted for more reasonable prices.

I long for the days when i didn't buy Bubble Bobble Part 2 (NES) because $50 was just too much for a 15 year old game. But looking at today's price of $395.64, i'm certainly glad i eventually talked myself into spending that $50.

i've got a complete Sega 32x and complete Virtual Boy collection (both loose, no boxes or manuals). Not highly desirable, but i got them because they were neat oddities. Jack Bros (VB) is now $591, i paid ~$150. Spider-Man: Web of Fire (32x) is now $338, i paid $99 (and both were way more than i wanted to spend!). I never would have been able to grab these collections at current rate. Thank god i didn't go for Saturn or SegaCD. those prices were already crazy before all this happened!

edit: https://collection.gamevaluenow.com/share/collection?id=2745
adding a link, since @Arealadid.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 2

• Retromags Curator

So I've been slowly dumping my collection into the GameValueNow website, and while I'm nowhere close to finished, there are definitely some observations I can make.

1. The single most expensive game in my collection is easily the CiB Keio Flying Squadron for the Sega CD. I've entered a little over 700 items, totaling around $29,000 in value. Keio Flying Squadron accounts for almost 1/10th of that, at $2,569.41.
  2. Four of the ten most-expensive games in my collection are PS2 titles. Two are PS1 titles. SNES, Genesis, 32X, and Sega CD each account for one.
  3. Most expensive console in my collection is a CiB Sega Nomad (aka the portable Genesis/Mega Drive).
  4. A CiB copy of Secret of Mana for the SNES is only slightly less expensive than a CiB copy of Growl for the Genesis. Okay...
  5. A CiB Chrono Trigger on the DS is as valuable as a CiB Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System for some reason.
  6. Loose copies of Mary-Kate and Ashley: Crush Course and Mary-Kate and Ashley: Winner's Circle on the Game Boy Color (don't ask why I own these) are each individually worth more than a CiB copy of Final Fantasy X-2 for the PS2 which is, itself, worth about the same as a loose cart of Space Invaders on the 2600.
  7. I wish I had the instruction manual to go along with my boxed copy of Trouble Shooter for the Genesis. I really wish I had the instructions to go with my otherwise-complete copy of Revelations: Persona for the PS1. 😆
  8. The most-valuable game based on a Western licensed property I have is a CiB The X-Files: Resist or Serve for PS2. The most-valuable game based on an Eastern licensed property is a CiB Blood Will Tell for PS2.
  9. The least-valuable game based on a licensed property I have is a CiB Jeopardy! for PS1, which is worth less even than a loose cart of Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari 2600, or even a loose cart of Shaq-Fu for the Genesis. 🤣
  10. So far, the least-valuable game not based on a license is a loose cart of Pillow Pets for the Nintendo DS. At $1.16, it's worth only slightly less than a CiB copy of Gran Turismo 2 (Greatest Hits) for PS1, worth a whopping $1.84.
  11. A CiB copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 on the PS2 is worth four times what a CiB copy of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES is, despite FES being the updated and more complete version of that game. Weird...
  12. Holy crap, when did Koudelka on PS1 get so expensive?

This is nowhere NEAR complete (it features almost none of my N64, GBA, SNES, NES,  PS1, or PS3 games), but I'll keep working on updating it. If you want to follow along, either to drool or gloat, knock yourselves out:

https://collection.gamevaluenow.com/share/collection?id=14291

*huggles*

• Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator
4 hours ago, hardcorehubz said:

Ooooh scan in that Keio Flying Squadron at high res please :)

I assume you mean the instruction manual? I'll see what I can do. My scanner's not very good. :)

*huggles*
Areala

• Haha 1

And be very careful if you do scan it, because ya know...monetary value.

I'm somewhat curious about the value of my Sega CD Backup RAM Cart. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's internal battery is dead, but I can likely replace that. Does anyone here have a Backup RAM Cart, and if so does it still work in an actual Sega CD?

Seeing all of this makes me want to collect physical PS3 and PS4 games. Who knows it's worth in several years time. If I'm still alive, that is.

Oh, some controllers too. PS3 ones already twice the original price nowadays. Hope I could buy official (and limited) colored official ones so I can resell it back.

Heh, never thought I'm thinking like a collector...

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
16 hours ago, twiztor said:

your collection is set to private. didn't even know that was a thing and just adjusted mine as well.

I can't seem to find the setting to make my collection public. It doesn't appear to be under "Account Settings". Where do you go to make it public? :)

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently it's an issue with Chrome, as I logged in using Firefox and the privacy settings popped right up. Weird, but fixed! Now y'all can see my goodies. (Not those goodies, mind you, just my games. Nice try, @E-Day).

*huggles*
Areala

• Haha 1

Wow! I had no idea that prices were so high! I have not purchased anything video game related in several years, mainly because I have not seen anything for sale at retail that I want.

I do have a fairly large collection of PS 2 RPGs (and a solid handful of PS 1 RPGs). I have no plans on selling anything (I don't need the money and I enjoy having the games), but I should get a value estimate of my collection for insurance purposes. 

I'm hoping that as the whole pandemic thing blows over (like, completely gone), retro game prices would go back to what it was before 2020. I still want to get a legit copy of all the Suikodens, the Xenosaga series, and Persona.

Thankfully, I managed to find a (relatively) non-inflated copy of Persona Q2 New Cinema Labyrinth Edition. It's currently at around $200 right now.

• Retromags Curator

What kind of crack-smoking fiends have managed to jack the price of Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within (universally recognized as one of the worst horror games ever made) to over $350? I'm not done entering my PS1 collection yet, but this one blows even Koudelka, a phenomenal 4-disc RPG with light survival horror elements, out of the water. This should not be the most valuable game in my PS1 library.

I do not understand. :)

*huggles*

On 8/11/2021 at 10:10 AM, Areala said:

What kind of crack-smoking fiends have managed to jack the price of Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within (universally recognized as one of the worst horror games ever made) to over $350? I'm not done entering my PS1 collection yet, but this one blows even Koudelka, a phenomenal 4-disc RPG with light survival horror elements, out of the water. This should not be the most valuable game in my PS1 library.

I do not understand. :)

*huggles*

well at least you've got Madden '04 to balance out the value. 🤣

P.S. why did they release a 2004 version of that on the PS1? the PS2 had been out for THREE YEARS! and holy shit, i just checked and Madden '05 released on the PS1 too? is this crazy land?

• Haha 2

Not at all crazy land. In most cases in the 5th/6th gen eras sports titles were often the last games released on a particular console.

For example in the U.S. in 2004 for the PS1 there was MLB 2005, NFL Gameday 2005, Madden 2005, and FIFA 2005.

For the PS2 in 2011-2012 all PS2 releases were sports titles including MLB 2K11 & 2K12, NBA 2K12, FIFA 12, and PES 2012 & 2013. In fact I think even PES 2014 came for the PS2 but only in Latin America.

• Like 2