Any Strategy Guides currently being scanned?

Rando1975

Hi folks. A pawn shop somewhat in my local area has a bunch of strategy guides for sale and I was thinking about picking some up to donate to the site. But I wanted to make sure I don't grab anything that is currently being scanned/edited. I'm hoping to pick up at least 2 guides.

It's probably easiest for me to send them to Eday since we're both in Canada. Although I'm sure he has plenty to scan already!

• Retromags Curator

What guides are you looking at? I don't think right now we've got a system in place to show if people are scanning strategy guides or not, but I wouldn't worry about duplicating anything; there are a million strategy guides out there, and the chance you'd pick one that someone already owns and is either currently scanning or considering donating for scanning is pretty remote. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

6 minutes ago, Areala said:

What guides are you looking at? I don't think right now we've got a system in place to show if people are scanning strategy guides or not, but I wouldn't worry about duplicating anything; there are a million strategy guides out there, and the chance you'd pick one that someone already owns and is either currently scanning or considering donating for scanning is pretty remote. :)

*huggles*

Ok. I'll have a quick look at what guides that are here and scanned and avoid picking those up. 

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a new member, and I'm trying a non-destructive scan of the Brady Games Final Fantasy 9 manual before trying some other magazines (Expert Gamer) and a couple other guides.  I've got the raw images and have assembled and ordered CBZ, but the Create New Content -> File Download has Strategy Guides -> Brady Games greyed out.  And uploading 212 images at once doesn't seem like the proper way.  Quality of the scans is OK, page "bumps" are noticeable and some empty space whited out.

Does it require mod approval to add those sections to the content adder?  If not,what am I doing wrong?

• Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, JimJam78 said:

I'm a new member, and I'm trying a non-destructive scan of the Brady Games Final Fantasy 9 manual before trying some other magazines (Expert Gamer) and a couple other guides.  I've got the raw images and have assembled and ordered CBZ, but the Create New Content -> File Download has Strategy Guides -> Brady Games greyed out.  And uploading 212 images at once doesn't seem like the proper way.  Quality of the scans is OK, page "bumps" are noticeable and some empty space whited out.

Does it require mod approval to add those sections to the content adder?  If not,what am I doing wrong?

Good news! You aren't doing anything wrong. You're just a new member, and don't have access to direct file uploads yet. :)

The best thing to do would be to upload it to a service like Google Drive or Dropbox, then ping @MigJmz or @E-Day with the file so they can download it and check it out. If it's good, they'll add it to the site and we can upgrade your privileges so you can upload directly. :)

*huggles*

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator
3 hours ago, Mirrorclaw said:

Does this site have Dark Cloud 1 for the PS2 Strategy Guide PDF available to download, please? I've been looking for over a day now for it on Google & I'm not having any luck. Thank you all very much!

We don't have either Dark Cloud guide preserved here, alas.

You can always browse through the guides we have available here:

https://www.retromags.com/files/category/94-strategy-guides/

Maybe someone will donate it to be scanned now that someone's asked about it though! :)

*huggles*

• 7 months later...

Hello! I hope this question is admissible in this thread but I was wondering if there was any interest in scanning the BradyGames strategy guides for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time and The Crystal Bearers? I don't own either and have never been able to find them anywhere (even Thriftbooks doesn't have any copies!) and they're the only FF guides I'm aware of that aren't on this site or archive.org etc. So they've long had a kind of mystique to me.

Again I hope this is the right topic for this question; I'm brand new so any feedback is appreciated!

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
1 hour ago, Bufo said:

Hello! I hope this question is admissible in this thread but I was wondering if there was any interest in scanning the BradyGames strategy guides for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time and The Crystal Bearers? I don't own either and have never been able to find them anywhere (even Thriftbooks doesn't have any copies!) and they're the only FF guides I'm aware of that aren't on this site or archive.org etc. So they've long had a kind of mystique to me.

Again I hope this is the right topic for this question; I'm brand new so any feedback is appreciated!

I'm sure there is interest, the real question is if any of the scanners have copies of them (or if there is anyone out there wanting to make a donation). I don't have either of them in my collection, for instance, and it's impossible to scan what none of us has. :)

*huggles*

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Areala said:

I'm sure there is interest, the real question is if any of the scanners have copies of them (or if there is anyone out there wanting to make a donation). I don't have either of them in my collection, for instance, and it's impossible to scan what none of us has. :)

*huggles*

Thank you for the reply! Information on these games seem to be pretty paltry, so I've been wanting to see if anyone would be willing to get the guides out there. I totally understand they seem to be pretty rare, though!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chris85 said:

So i think i found a copy on ebay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256053807938

Its $33 but it cheaper then the other one going for $160. I hope this helps.

Oh thank you! Sadly, I don't own a scanner myself. To be honest I was just kind of testing the waters to see if anyone here had those guides and was willing to scan them. I don't mean to come off as grovel-y, just curious.