Scanning Magazines

elliogle

Hi all! I am a 3DO collector (Been on and off since its launch), I am back in the game and are currently putting together a full wiki around the marvellous machine! This includes every article that appears in magazines. Retromags has been very helpful, and happy to return the favour by uploading magazines (I have missing 3DO UK/Japanese ones, Thai, German and other Japanese magazines. As well as strategy guides.)

My question is, whats the best way to scan them? I don't want to cut them up, I was looking at the Fijitsu Scansnap and happy upto that value, but reviews are abit...meh....for magazines, so wondered if anyone else has recommendations?

• Like 1

Debinding is the only way to get a good scan of a magazine which sucks because most will not want to destroy their copy. If you dont want to chop them I would look for a scanning service in your area that will scan for you. I've always wanted good binded scans on the site as long as it looks good but others differ from that opinion.

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator
3 hours ago, elliogle said:

Hi all! I am a 3DO collector (Been on and off since its launch), I am back in the game and are currently putting together a full wiki around the marvellous machine! This includes every article that appears in magazines. Retromags has been very helpful, and happy to return the favour by uploading magazines (I have missing 3DO UK/Japanese ones, Thai, German and other Japanese magazines. As well as strategy guides.)

My question is, whats the best way to scan them? I don't want to cut them up, I was looking at the Fijitsu Scansnap and happy upto that value, but reviews are abit...meh....for magazines, so wondered if anyone else has recommendations?

Welcome to the party, @elliogle! That's an incredible offer, and I'll echo what @MigJmz says about looking into any local scanning services that might be able to accommodate your needs. I agree, better to have a decent-quality still-bound scan as opposed to lacking one completely. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

• Retromags Curator

For the record, most of my scans come from a Fujitsu auto feed scanner. It's not the ScanSnap series, but the one above that. However, the ScanSnap scanners like the x1500 also do an excellent job. Of all the scanners I have used (two HPs, two Canons, Epson v600), the Fujitsu produces the most accurate scan when comparing it to the paper copy.

Debinding is the fastest and easiest way to scan something but it's the 100% destructive. The scanning service idea might be the way to go if you don't want to destroy your magazines.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the late reply.

I have been researching abit more, have been recommended OpticBook 4800, its abit slow, but this is a long term project!

I have some front page png's in various magazines that are missing for the database, happy to share? (Not sure how to submit them)

• Thanks 1

• Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, elliogle said:

I have some front page png's in various magazines that are missing for the database, happy to share? (Not sure how to submit them)

If you throw them up on OneDrive or Google Drive or some cloud place and share the link, someone from here can grab them and put them into the Gallery. That contribution will also bump you our of Newcomer to whatever the next level is. :)

Yeah I donated a lot of expensive strategy guides to MigJmz to scan but I would rather see them destroyed and preserved in all their glory for others to enjoy than just have them moldering away somewhere or lost to time.

I donated the suikoden 2 when I saw some douche trying to rent out a crappy pdf copy for like 8 bucks a pop; that's just trying to take advantage of fans for no good reason.

• Like 2