Recommended Scanner?

NintendoPower91

• 2 months later...
  • Retromags Curator
5 hours ago, TempusIrae said:

What about cutting the binding/spine off with a table saw and then using the ADF? Has anyone done that?

I'd be afraid the table saw would make an absolute mess out of the remainder of the magazine, but I suppose if you wanted to give it a try and it worked, it would be worth knowing about! :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

18 hours ago, TempusIrae said:

What about cutting the binding/spine off with a table saw and then using the ADF? Has anyone done that?

Just use a rotary cutter. Theres a bit of a trick to it where you need to do as few passes as possible otherwise it can make a mess. It will struggle with really thick magazines. I also thermal debind as well so for those I might thermally debind chunks of the magazine and then cut with the rotary cutter. Heat guns can be purchased for less than $30. Theres a bit of technique to that as well but easy enough to learn.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
6 hours ago, TempusIrae said:

After spine is removed, what dpi setting do you recommend? I want quality with file size as low as possible. Additionally, I find myself struggling with cbr format and prefer pdf. Any advice on how to convert that to pdf? I’m looking at PC Gamer mags for example. 

I scan everything at 600dpi and then downsample to 300dpi when saving the final file. That gives me wiggle room to crop as much as needed while maintaining the actual page height for the final file (usually around 3250 pixels tall).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey Everyone,

Anyone have thoughts on whether this scanner would be suitable for mag preservation?

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageformula-dr-c225-ii-office-document-scanner

I have been looking for a good opportunity to help out around here and a pair of these were unceremoniously dropped in my office after a site I support (IT Stuff) moved into a smaller space.  They probably have a few years of collecting dust in their future, followed by a march to recycling.

I'm hoping I can put them to better use.

• Retromags Curator
8 hours ago, Du2andal said:

Hey Everyone,

Anyone have thoughts on whether this scanner would be suitable for mag preservation?

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/imageformula-dr-c225-ii-office-document-scanner

I have been looking for a good opportunity to help out around here and a pair of these were unceremoniously dropped in my office after a site I support (IT Stuff) moved into a smaller space.  They probably have a few years of collecting dust in their future, followed by a march to recycling.

I'm hoping I can put them to better use.

@E-Day, what do you think about these? I mean, if you got them for nothing, I'd at least give them a test run and see how quickly they scan, what the quality is like, and so forth. They have a document feeder, so you wouldn't have to hand-place each page, and it looks like it will scan duplex, so that's a total plus. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel: