"Not Allowed" Magazine Classification Queries

CLDavi

I am a major fan of Video Game Magazines. In particular, Hyper Magazine, an Australian Gaming Mag which I had a certain involvement with. I managed to get letters published in their later issues, and won Letter of the Month five times. Anyway, I've been looking up your site, and noticed that the issues from Issue 123 (January 2004) are labeled "not allowed". I am wondering, does the "not allowed" label apply to those who do not pay for a subscription to your site, thus preventing them from accessing the PDFs, or is it something else altogether? I'm just asking because some of the issues stamped with the "Not Allowed" tag happen to be issues that are over 10 yrs old, and would be easily accessible by now.

• Retromags Curator

Everything on the site is available for free for everyone, including people not registered to the site.

"Not allowed" usually means either the publisher or content owner has expressly told us not to host their content on the site or that the magazine is too new to be allowed on the site.

In the case of Hyper, it's just that the database has not been updated in a long time. We don't get a lot of demand for magazines outside of the US or UK so when it comes time to change the "Not Allowed" status to "Missing", the databases for other countries often get overlooked.

So those that are actually allowed should all be marked as "Missing" as we don't have any of those scanned.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm part way through scanning PC Format Issue 209 January 2008 (I think, I'm away at the moment) for personal use. I noticed that this particular issue is 'Not allowed' on here. Is this an oversight when the 10 year theshold has lapsed or is it genuenly not allowed?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator
10 hours ago, GGower81 said:

Hi, I'm part way through scanning PC Format Issue 209 January 2008 (I think, I'm away at the moment) for personal use. I noticed that this particular issue is 'Not allowed' on here. Is this an oversight when the 10 year theshold has lapsed or is it genuenly not allowed?

Thanks

This is probably just an oversight. Those flags are set when the database entries are created, and have to be manually changed. I imagine it's something we didn't notice. :)

*huggles*
Areala :angel:

Thats great! I chose that issue to begin with because I loath to debind older and cherished issues. I went with the hair dryer method and removed the pages and the glue neatly. My intention is to rebind the magazine (I've looked up bookbinding and all their methods). Hopefully I will be succesful and the mag will be back in its original condition. I won't begin the rebinding process until my scans get a thumbs up and I won't need to rescan anything. Once succesful with the rebinding, I'm looking forward to start scanning some magazines from the 90's. As mentioned elsewhere I have uploaded a zip file to archive.org. Is there someone in particular I can send a link to? Apart from cropping I haven't done any editing to the images so they are still in TIFF format at 300dpi. I still have 600dpi variants if they would be useful, but they are massive and will be deleting them when I'm sure i'ts ok.

• Like 1