Blocked Email Services

Revned

I've been trying to register for a few days, but the registration page stupidly blocks GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. addresses. I finally remembered another email address I got a long time ago and was able to register, but I was on the verge of giving up. I think something needs to be done about this... If this were a bigger site, then maybe it would be understandable, but I seriously doubt it would be a problem here.

• Retromags Curator

Unfortunatly .....I had to block the following

Hotmail , Gmail , Yahoo , Slaskpost , Dodgeit

There is no reason not to use a real email address to sign up for this site .......I dont sell your information.

You can blame the little troll that made these kind of posts on the forum

http://www.retromags.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80

• Retromags Curator
Umm, my GMail acount is my main address. Seriously. I had to sign up with one I don't even use, which kind of defeats the purpose.

The situation is ......I can see how many people have used fake emails .......Even though the forum says there are 100 users ......there is accually about 120 .........because 20% of them are fake email address and dont get processed thru

Most people get an email thru there ISP ......and there is really no reason to use a free one ......On another note .....i have seen people using services like Dodgeit ......which is a service where you sign up and let everyone use your username and password

I am blocking these types of things......This new forum has only been open for 5 days? ......and already has 100+ members

I expect that only maybe 50 or so users carried over from the old forum

Well, all I know is that I almost gave up. Had I not remembered this old account I never use, I would have just left and waited for announcements to trickle out to other sites. Is it worth losing several prospective users just to foil one or two trolls in advance? It's easy enough just to ban people and delete messages like that. Whatever. I don't agree with what you've done, but it's your site.

*My Two Cents*

I don't know if it is a good idea to flat out ban those email services. For one thing we may be missing alot of good users simply to block a couple assholes like fenner. Second if some jackass really wants to get in and post stupid stuff, they will. There are hundreds of free email services and you aren't blocking all of them. (My email is a free service).

It just seems like it hurts more than it helps. :mellow:

I signed up with my hotmail address here , You know people pay money to use services like hotmail ( They do this so they use the pop mail server ) and yahoo etc

Blocking them because of one person was a bit silly .

I for one cannot use my ISP email address for the simple reason it is a shared connection .

I have had my hotmail account since 1998/9 and for me it is my real email address .

• 2 weeks later...

I agree to the point of saying that people do pay and use those services as their main e-mail. My main e-mail is a yahoo one, and I get my mail there, but it's redirected from my own domain name.

Someone who really had it out for the site could do something similar ... buy a cheap domain name (they can be had for $2 these days), make a ton of e-mail addresses, and force you to have to ban new domains and cause lots of trouble. I guess the gist of the story is, troublemakers are going to be troublemakers nonetheless.

I don't know Invision well enough to answer this, but is there a way to require extra moderation (or even an extra level of verification) from people with the free e-mail addresses?

• 3 months later...
You can always IP ban the users that are causing problems through your hosting service (or at least should be able to).

actually, this prob won't work, given that IP addresses change whenever 1 logs onto the system. Unless u use ur pc as a server, this change is most likely the case, so u'll need to start blocking ranges of ip addresses, which would stop others just b/c they r from the same isp as a troublemaker...