How are Retromags, Gaming Alexandria, and Video Game History Foundation tied together?

TimBisley

I've been lurking here and in the GA discord (under a different username) while trying to find a scanner and get involved. I have a lot of free time but no hardware and only a few magazines currently. I knew about RM for a long time but I had stumbled across VGHF and saw they were tied to GA and here for their scans but I'm not sure how the overlap works? How do you guys make sure you aren't duplicating work or are these all separate groups doing their own thing working together for preservation?

Is there a master list between the three groups? I can see GA has a rough google doc, theres stuff getting posted to archive, and then theres all the stuff here.

We don't exactly officially collectively work with each other but we do know of each others efforts and communicate and help out each other when we can. Like MigJmz sometimes takes my scans from the archive and adjusts them and publishes them here which I am thrilled by honestly. Same with Kiwi he uses a lot of my scans, which I am absolutely fine with. The more these are spread about the safer I feel like they are and less likely to disappear so my efforts won't have gone to waste.

There's not really a running list unfortunately as there's so many scanners out there and it would be tough to get everybody to take the time to constantly update a running list of what all we're working on or have. Myself I have literally hundreds of magazines I need to scan. It's not a bad idea just not really feasible unfortunately. But like MigJmz says we do tend to focus on specific things the others don't for the most part so there's not a lot of double work.

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Nothing official, but we will work together sometimes. For instance I sent oversized magazines for hardcorehubz to scan because I don't have a scanner that can accommodate them. Eventually those scans will get released here.

The VGHF sent about 800 US magazines we don't have scanned on our site to a local (to them) company that is debinding them and scanning them to hi-res PDF which we can then process and release on here. The sample they sent me of the first scan was used to release an issue of VideoGames and Electronic Entertainment last month that had two missing pages and was sitting in limbo.

I also have a couple boxes worth of extra magazines that are not needed on the site that I will be sending to them so they can use them for their blind box subscription program they have to fund raise.

So it's all unofficial but we will happily help each other out when we can.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, hardcorehubz said:

We don't exactly officially collectively work with each other but we do know of each others efforts and communicate and help out each other when we can. Like MigJmz sometimes takes my scans from the archive and adjusts them and publishes them here which I am thrilled by honestly. Same with Kiwi he uses a lot of my scans, which I am absolutely fine with. The more these are spread about the safer I feel like they are and less likely to disappear so my efforts won't have gone to waste.

Not to derail this discussion but yes - this, exactly!

• Like 1