Thin white lines in scans - help!

justanotherscan

I've been using a Canon LIDE 200 for a few months and today noticed some thin white lines appearing in scans. You can see them in the attached cover scan, next to the word "Diablo" on the right, and running from the Future logo top to bottom (left side).

I cleaned the top layer glass but that didn't resolve it. I took the glass out and cleaned under, again no change.

I cleaned the LED light bar with a dry no lint piece of cleaning tissue, and it helped but a line would always remain in one place or another. I then cleaned the LED light bar with 99% isopropyl alcohol, then wiped it off again with another dry cleaning tissue, which made it as it is now.

I attempted calibration with the Windows Canon software, which does different calibration from Linux scanning software.

If anyone has an idea on why this is happening and how to really resolve it, I would really appreciate to hear that because it's driving me crazy!!! Cleaning the LED bar seems like the best option but there's tons of lines now and it's such a process!

lines.jpg.jpg

• Retromags Curator

The Canon LIDE 200 is a flatbed scanner, I had the 100 version of it for a while. This means the paper is stationary and the scan head moves across the glass. So I would assume that a speck of dust on the glass would not create these lines. Sounds like you may have dust on the actual scan head and that is causing the lines.