Sega Genesis Mini 2

RetroDefense

In case you missed the announcement, Sega will be releasing a Sega Genesis Mini 2 in October 2022.  This one is modeled after the Genesis 2 form factor but includes some Sega CD games.  A six button controller is included this time.  The plug-and-play system includes 60 games and software emulation is reportedly again being handled by M2.  (I'd bet this is once again software emulation instead of a FPGA.)

Mega Drive versions will be released in Japan and European regions with some different games, but here's the Genesis roster.  You'll notice several "imports" in the mix.

Sega CD:

Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco the Dolphin: The Tides of Time
Final Fight CD
Mansion of Hidden Souls
Night Striker
Night Trap
Robo Aleste
Sewer Shark
Shining Force CD
Silpheed
Sonic CD
The Ninja Warriors

Genesis:

After Burner II
Alien Soldier
Atomic Runner
Bonanza Brothers
Clay Fighter
Crusader of Centy
Desert Strike
Earthworm Jim 2
Elemental Master
Fatal Fury 2
Gain Ground
Golden Axe II
Granada X
Hellfire
Herzog Zwei
Lightening Force (Thunderforce IV)
Midnight Resistance
Outrun
Outrunners
Phantasy Star II
Populous
Rainbow Islands Extra
Ranger X
Ristar
Rolling Thunder 2
Shadow Dancer
Shining Force II
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
Splatterhouse 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang On
Super Street Fighter II
The Ooze
The Revenge of Shinobi
Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron
Truxton
Vectorman 2
Viewpoint
Virtua Racing
Warsong

Bonus Genesis games:

Fantasy Zone
Star Mobile
Spatter
Super Locomotive
Devi & Pii
Vs. Puyo Puyo Sun
Space Harrier II

The bonus games are interesting.  Fantasy Zone is a new port.  Star Mobile is a puzzle game that had been completed back in the day, but never released.  It did make it to the PC Engine though.  The Space Harrier II bonus is reportedly both Space Harriers I and II and running at 60 fps (!?!).  I'm not familiar with the other bonus titles.

As for the game roster, I'm happy with it.  It could have been better - especially the Sega CD line-up - but this is a matter of opinion.  Knowing the Japan release is getting Popful Mail and both Lunar titles does sting a bit.

More than a bit, actually.

I could have done without some of the re-re-re-released stuff too.  Alien Soldier, Gain Ground, Bonanza Brothers, etc.  'Course, I have a habit of picking up Sega compilations without question so I've already seen these titles several times.  :)   If this will be your first time playing 'em, I doubt you'll be disappointed.  Most of the titles included in this mini reviewed well in their day.

I'm really looking forward to Night Striker.  One of my fave arcade games during my college years.  If you're not familiar, think Space Harrier but with branching paths like Outrun.  Good stuff.  The Sega CD / Mega CD version is very pixelated compared to the arcade original but I'm hoping it plays well.

And if you haven't already, give Ristar a try.  "Hidden gem" is cliche anymore but Ristar definitely qualifies.

For physical game collectors who count mini systems as physical game collections, this system is a boon.  Price Crusader of Centy on Ebay sometime.  It's a fun Zelda-esque title that'll cost you bank nowadays.

The Sega Genesis Mini 2 is an Amazon exclusive, though orders will ship from Amazon Japan (weird - perhaps related to chip shortages or whatever?)  Pre-orders are open - get it while the gettin's good.

• Retromags Curator

Yeah, this is apparently not being released in Canada, which is really annoying. Not that I can't play these games on the MiSTer, or add most of the Genesis ones to the Model 1 mini, but I like having these little consoles. Maybe something will change but I am not holding my breath.

I am curious as to how much extra space is on the Mini 2; if there's enough Lunar and Popful Mail could be added by you after the fact :)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:28 PM, E-Day said:

I am curious as to how much extra space is on the Mini 2; if there's enough Lunar and Popful Mail could be added by you after the fact :)

I've heard it's 8 gig this time around but I don't believe this has been confirmed.

It also looks like M2 has added some features to some of the games included on this mini.  Not only the usual quality-of-life features at a system level - like save states, rewind, etc - but unique features per game.  Supposedly, Phantasy Star II, Outrun, Hellfire, and Rainbow Islands all have some enhancements.  Perhaps others as well.

So far, I've kept all of my minis stock out-of-the-box - the exception being the Playstation Classic.  You really have no choice but to hack that thing to bring it up to par with the others.

I'm hoping - once the chip shortage is under control - Sega decides to revisit this mini and make a traditional push at retail.  Maybe by next Christmas or whenever.  I've had several casual gaming friends and family members who've shown interest in these mini consoles, purchased the first Genesis mini, and would probably pick this one up as well.  If they see it sitting on a retail shelf somewhere.

I also hope Sega makes this a trend.  :)  I'd love to see a Genesis Mini 3 with another round of Genesis and Sega CD games.  Hopefully Lunar/Popful Mail licensing with Victor Ireland/Working Designs will be resolved the next time around.  And maybe throw in some Game Gear and Sega Master System classics as well.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

I hacked the Super NES mini to add more games but I kept the original image file in order to restore it to factory if I ever want to. I have two Genesis Minis, one never opened and the other one also hacked to add games that should have been there, like Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, as well as the fan hack Sonic 3 Complete. Now that I found the Director's Cut version of Sonic 3D Blast I can add that as well. It makes a lot of improvements and was put out by Jon Burton, the original programmer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...