My New Computer

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

My New Computer :Yahooo: ...Gonna be putting it together in a few weeks.......This is gonna be my 3rd desktop .....running outta room on the desk :P

Pentium D 820 (2.8) Dual Core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819116213

ThermalTake Blue Orb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835106069

Intel D945Psn Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813121288

Antec Smart Power 2.0 (500w) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

Cooler Master Centurion 5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119068

Memory (1gig Undecided Brand)

ATI x600 AIW PCIE x16

Plextor 708a DVD-RW

That's pretty sweet man. I am actually thinking of trying an AMD dual core processor in my next machine. I have been looking at a lot of performance tests lately and AMD's dual core offerings look pretty darn good to me.

I added a new 200GB hard drive to my PC yesterday and am loving the space. I also set my self up with dual monitors. I am loving the desktop space too! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i got a dual core in my pc and i can definitely tell the difference, especially when multitasking. it handles itself really well and keeps quiet and cool.

i have long been wanting to get a set up with dual monitors, but just have not had the funding available. i'm on a real tight budget trying to build up enough downpayment for my first house.

but i can only imagine what it'd be like having dual monitors.

ahh one day...

MULTIMONITOR.jpg

• Retromags Curator
i got a dual core in my pc and i can definitely tell the difference, especially when multitasking. it handles itself really well and keeps quiet and cool.

i have long been wanting to get a set up with dual monitors, but just have not had the funding available. i'm on a real tight budget trying to build up enough downpayment for my first house.

but i can only imagine what it'd be like having dual monitors.

ahh one day...

You should see this one setup some dude had in Maximum PC Magazine ........i think it was like 15 monitors for Microsoft Flight Simulator.......the guy could see from wingtip to wingtip :blink:

Crazy

My own dual monitor setup is actually pretty ghetto. I have one nice 17" LCD monitor as the main screen and an older smaller dimmer CRT monitor as my secondary screen. I usually just have Azureus running on my second monitor so that I can glance over and see when people are downloading the retromags releases. :lol:

I had the monitor sitting around and my video card was capable so I figured that it might be kind of cool...and it is. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Instead of having multiple monitors on the desktop, why not just have a KVM switch to go between different computers? would negate having to have 3 kb/mice on your desktop. At the very least, using the KVM to use only one kb/mouse.

Instead of having multiple monitors on the desktop, why not just have a KVM switch to go between different computers? would negate having to have 3 kb/mice on your desktop. At the very least, using the KVM to use only one kb/mouse.

Well, multiple monitors to one machine is totally the way to go. I use a multi monitor setup at work, a pair of Dell 19" LCD flat panels, and I love it. At home, I only use a single panel, and for remote access, I use tools like MSTSC or VNC instead of a true KVM switch, which work as well for me cause I'm only using those machines for CPU power or menial tasks.

You could never game with 2 different machines that way but it works for me.

The other thought on KVM's is that it can reduce picture quality somewhat, so if you game on a machine, it's prolly not the best candidate for a KVM

I use VNC as well. The only thing I hate is when the server reboots for some reason and VNC doesn't load up on startup then I have to go hook up a keyboard and monitor to the server, get VNC running again and then put everything away.

I'm saving up for a nice battery backup now, hopefully I won't have that problem anymore.

There are ways around this, mostly involving hardware, but they are limited to text modes with no graphics. There is a product called the PC Weasel that basically appears to your PC as a video card, but sends the output over a serial cable. Since it emulates the VGA, you can go into the BIOS and do anything you could do with a real keyboard, it even has an internal connection to your motherboard's reset switch so you can reboot a hung system. It's great for running a Linux box in the closet. It's only available for serial comms as far as I know, but there is probably some other manufacturer that has a similar product for Ethernet or even routable TCP/IP. The downside to those networking options is that most true servers have other facilities in place to do boot-time configuration and remote rebooting, so having an expensive PCI card to do it would be redundant.

For those who want to game with a remote PC (whyyy?), you can get a costly KVM that supports DVI and USB and go crazy. Or you could just get a second monitor for much less :)

I use VNC as well. The only thing I hate is when the server reboots for some reason and VNC doesn't load up on startup then I have to go hook up a keyboard and monitor to the server, get VNC running again and then put everything away.

I'm saving up for a nice battery backup now, hopefully I won't have that problem anymore.

Set up VNC as a service and it'll start every time windows starts. I do this with 2 other computers (I have 3 servers all being controlled from one) and in the past 3 months it hasn't let me down yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...