Strategy Guides

zttfan

Because bots can't do interesting topics!

Over here at the spacious and beuatiful ZTTFAN compound, I'm blessed with having a few hundred strategy guides across various systems that I've collected over my years of gaming goodness.

Given that they tend to be bigger and take longer to scan I am putting this out as a general topical question,

if ZTTFAN were to start scanning a guide for consumption by the masses what would you like to see first.

Ten of ZTTFAN's Favorite leap to mind:

Final Fantasy 7

Super Metroid

Street Fighter 2

Rival Schools United By Fate

Secret of mana (which is only so good as the bulk of the book is in black and white)

Mario Mania

Resident Evil 2

The Dreamcast multiguide

Soul Blade

Einhander (Japanese release)

As with all things scannable, so long as I have the blessings of Retromags team, I'm more than happy to take the time to scan in a strategy guide here and there.

"But in Purple I'm stunning"

I'd LOVE to see the Super Metroid guide! I've been trying to get my hands on that for years. copies on ebay are hard to come by and generally go for 20+ dollars. Finally I'll be able to get all the missles. :)

I'd also love to see the NES Game Atlas and the Game Boy and Super NES guides that were released around the same time as Mario Mania. Finally, two of the best guides ever were the Super Mario 3 Guide and Zelda: LTTP.

Sadly I don't have the old NES atlas anymore, but I do have mint copies of both the Gameboy & SNES books.

A rescan of the Mario Mania insert is possible, I'll check when I have a free moment.

The Super Metroid book is also do-able, but the copy I won off EBAY is missing a few pages here and there.

That same issue is what's kept me from doing the Nintendo Power Street Fighter Turbo book. Part of the Chun-Li section is missing and unless someone could scan them in, I'd feel funny sharing a book that I knew was incomplete.

I'm sure I'm being petty but that's how I am, a completist!

"Hmmm, was it something I said?"

"Perhaps... it is everything that you say!"

Then the next upload from the old ZTTfarm will be of nintendo power # where ever I left off at.

Then I will spend the first two weeks of March devoting myself to scanning in Samus' second best adventure (Sorry I'm head over heels for Prime 1). If it all works out it will posted to the FTP before the end of the third week!

Only question remains: Zips or PDFs?

"If you were so good at your old job, why is it your OLD job?"

Then the next upload from the old ZTTfarm will be of nintendo power # where ever I left off at.

Then I will spend the first two weeks of March devoting myself to scanning in Samus' second best adventure (Sorry I'm head over heels for Prime 1). If it all works out it will posted to the FTP before the end of the third week!

i'd prefer cbr or cbz 's (zip or rar archives) over pdf anytime...

feel free to msg me to discuss that mario mania page that can use redoing.. it wasnt my scan either, but mine's too far gone to touch up, and i dont have any of the newer ones you mentioned that are missing pages :(

ya im a completist too.. .if copies don't turn up to fill in the missing pages, ill buy copies off ebay for this, if need be, once i start getting paid from my job..

-Jay

Guest brandon99

Cbr is the best I think (I never liked PDFs).

It appears I was wrong. The ZTTFarm has two metroid guides floating around, one that is mint and one that is... well... not mint (to say the least).

Mint one gets scanned, the less minty one gets put up for auction! (HA! Let's see the News Bots do ironic sarcasm!)

"There's an old cat saying: It's better to live one minute as a tiger than to live your entire life as a worm!"

"Really, well there's an old human saying to: Who ever heard of a worm skin rug?"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'd LOVE to see the Super Metroid guide! I've been trying to get my hands on that for years. copies on ebay are hard to come by and generally go for 20+ dollars. Finally I'll be able to get all the missles. :)

I'd also love to see the NES Game Atlas and the Game Boy and Super NES guides that were released around the same time as Mario Mania. Finally, two of the best guides ever were the Super Mario 3 Guide and Zelda: LTTP.

I have the NES Atlas & Super Metroid (I think). As soon as I can get a decent scanner, I'll do it.

I have the NES Atlas & Super Metroid (I think). As soon as I can get a decent scanner, I'll do it.

The Super Metroid guide has been scanned and was distributed by ZTTfan last weekend and can be found on mininova.org as "Retromags release ZTTfan edition April 2006 (fixed)". Ztt may also currently be scanning the NES Atlas so you might want to PM before you start scanning to be sure.

The thought is appreciated though. :)

Nice little pack by ZTTFan! :D

But, oh dear, something seems to have gone wrong with the first half of the scans in the SWATPro issue, they're too small and the quality suffers with fine writing being illegible. Some of the scans are a bit on the small side, quality wise, in the other magazines included too. And I just want to point out that tagging the actual magazine pages ruins it a little bit, but at least they're not too intrusive.

I appreciate your efforts, but hopefully you can use my points to make your scans for retromags even better for upcoming magazines on your scanner's horizon..

Is the Acclaim magazine the entire magazine or just incomplete - for $3.50, I'd have thought it'd have more pages?

I only took a small number of magazines with me when I moved out of my parents house. The old ones I have on me now are the Top Secret-Passwords player's guide, and NP Vol 13 & 17 (Super Mario Bros 3 & Final Fantasy) Strategy Guides.

If any of these haven't already been upped, I can scan em/clean em/join em and upp them.

All my otherer magazines are in several boxes several thousand miles away. :(

Nice little pack by ZTTFan! :D

But, oh dear, something seems to have gone wrong with the first half of the scans in the SWATPro issue, they're too small and the quality suffers with fine writing being illegible. Some of the scans are a bit on the small side, quality wise, in the other magazines included too. And I just want to point out that tagging the actual magazine pages ruins it a little bit, but at least they're not too intrusive.

I appreciate your efforts, but hopefully you can use my points to make your scans for retromags even better for upcoming magazines on your scanner's horizon..

Is the Acclaim magazine the entire magazine or just incomplete - for $3.50, I'd have thought it'd have more pages?

Thanks for your comments on the recent scan package. Here are some answers for you.

1. The size issue on the pages is based on an experiment I've been doing in attempting to maintain image quality yet make a file that doesn't take all week to grab from a torrent or download site. My initial scans had a tendency to be quite larger once put together and some people had to spend what amounted to far too long waiting to get it. As I am not a fan of begging others to do work for me I will continue to do my own edits.

2. Tagging is something I do as a quick means of marking my territory. If you look at what scans I've done, I generally don't make them that big, they only go on the front and back covers of a scan and I always put in the @ retroags.com line in case someone who is unaware of this cool site finds said scan on a P2P or a downloading source other than a torrent site that doesn't mention the source of the scan. That's just something I do personally and I see no reason to change it.

And finally,

3. Yes the Acclaim magazine is that small. I won two of them in an EBAY bundle with about forty other vid mags and was a bit surprised that they would attempt to charge so much for what amounts to nothing more than a newsletter. Especially when EGM and Gamepro were only .50 cents more expensive for six times the content.

In the midst of continuing to scan in and edit my own material and make things better quality wise, I do appreciate any and all input positive or negative in regards to said work.

Guest 420
I would like to see the Final Fantasy Guide for the Nes :D

That's Nintendo Power #17.

I don't think it has seen offical release yet. (?)

The copy I have is crap but I heard KMFDM say that he has a better copy.

One day it will be available :)

That's Nintendo Power #17.

I don't think it has seen offical release yet. (?)

The copy I have is crap but I heard KMFDM say that he has a better copy.

One day it will be available :)

I'm trying to remember, did it come with a foldout map/enemy list? I ran across mine a while ago, and could remember where I got it. It's all laminated though, so it probably wouldn't scan good. >_< Maybe it came with the game.

you know, I made a post a few weeks ago, offering to send the final fantasy guide to whoever aims me...lol...

aim name is KMFDManic , go figure...I also have the final fantasy 3 and 7 guides.

Thanks for the offer. But sadly i don't have AIM but i'm using sometimes msn. (shame on me..) Is the AIM better?

• 5 weeks later...

Did NES Atlas ever get scanned?

And on the Strategy Guides note, I just picked up these for .10 cents each :D

Brady games - Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped

Brady games - Dino Crisis

Brady games - Darkstalkers 3

Brady games - Wild 9

Brady games - Tenchu

Brady games - Rival Schools

Pokemon Trainers Survival Guide

When I get some free time I'll start scannin' ;)