Usb Gamepads

jeffjenx

I just thought I'd give a little insight to those who are looking for retro game pads that plug directly into the USB port. I got a couple NES and SNES ones from Retrozone (http://www.retrousb.com/) and they are phenominal. I absolutely love playing old games with the controller and these are USB, so they are plug'n'play, easy to configure, and you can have more than one at a time.

They have controllers for NES, SNES, Virtual Boy, Atari, Genesis, Jaguar, Intellivision, Colecovision, Vectrex, Turbo Graphix 16, 3D0, Bally Astrocade, Atari 5200, Sega Saturn and Neo Geo.

Only thing missing is the N64, but I've looked long and hard into it and can't seem to come up with anything except those PSX/N64 adapters that don't quite work anyways.

Anyways, at about 30 bucks they can be a bit pricey, but definitely worth it if you as big on nostalgic feel as I am.

That site again is http://www.retrousb.com/

yeah, i looked in to doing myself as well as i had a couple of the pads; unfortunately, i'm not good at soldering and all that, so i opted not to.

also, i could only find the do it yourself's for plugging them into the parallel or serial ports, nothing for modifying it to usb.

if you know a little electrical engineering (which i don't), i'm sure you can figure it out, as it is just a matter of getting the wires and diodes to the right spots or whatever.

Here's a link for the NES to USB diagrams:

CLICK HERE

The thing that I liked about hte Retrozone joysticks is that they are very clean and well-put together. There is no sign of the adapter that converts the controller to USB (it is built into the controller itself, so the chip is very small. It is indeed perfect if you ask me.

i did a search after last post, and i found that site... its good, but the problem is (unless im reading wrong), that this guy is talking about using the chip from retrousb, which is still pretty expensive, considering we're providing the nes controller and all the work. I found in the reviews of that article some guy's page that has more detailed info on making this adapter from scratch:

www.Zero-Soft.com/HW/USB_NES/

The site is more geared towards an engineer (i.e. me), and I plan to finish reading the page, and figuring out what i need and how i can go about building his controller. My friend looked at it quickly and said a snes-usb controller is very similar, and I'm interested in that, too.

This guy says right on the page to email him if you want to buy any of the parts or need help, and that he's not looking to make money off this idea, and all his code and diagrams are available for free. When i get this to work, im willing to help anyone else who wants to try it.

According to the page, the design is on a printed board which will fit inside the nintedo controller, which is my goal also... My friend also knows of a PCB design company that has reasonable prices- so if anyone still reading cares to buy any, we may get a bulk deal buying more than one or two batches. But even with the right chip, it will fit together nicely.

I"ll post more as I go along. If anyone has any more info, please post, i'd like to read more on the topic

Thanks for the update, I thought I remember reading on some sites a while back that the chips can be purchased in any type of electronic or hardware store that generally sells these things. Like I said, I'm not familiar at all with electrical engineering, so I don't know.

I do have one question for you, however, since you seem to know a bit more about it. Is it feasible to do the same thing with a N64 controller that you are gonna do with the NES controller? I have long awaited finding some type of adapter for the 64 pad, but came up with poor results and outdated information. Thanks.

Yeah, I posted a link to Retrozone in the old hub, I still plan on getting the FourScore and a couple of the Atari 2600 adapters (those ones will also play Atari 130/400/800/2600, Commodore 64, Sega Master System, and others). Just need the cash :( .

it doesn't work with all n64 controllers. i have tried 4 different ones and none of them work (the analog stick isn't recognized properly). i've tried two greys, a black, and a red to no avail. all of which were officially licensed nintendo controllers.

if you got yours to work, kudos to you.

I have been looking for a good analog controller to use wih emulated N64 Games for some time as I can't stand the inaccuracy of the digital pad with those games. Can anyone recommend a good controller? Even though a USB modded original controller would be ideal, I wouldn't mind just getting another kind since it sounds like there are some complications with the conversion process.

The only good way to hook up your N64 is the Adaptoid http://www.wishtech.com/ .

Ztnet currently own the rights to manufacture http://www.ztnetstore.com/product_info.php/products_id/38 but they haven't had any for sale in over a year (Nor do they answer emails as to why).

You can find them on Ebay going for way too much http://cgi.ebay.com/N64-Adaptoid-N64-to-US...1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought one when they first came out and I wish I had got a whole case so I could be the assh0le making a killing on Ebay :P

ok, From what it seems, the retrozone guy is selling a USB computer chip that's cheap and easy to get, BUT he wrote the program for the chip, and made it very difficult to copy that program off it. So basically, his program is the only thing in his stuff that's special or not common. This other guy wrote his own program for the chip and posted it for free. My plan is to get a chip and program it with his code. If it works, I can get a circuit board made that would be the same as the programmed chip. IE- flat, small chip that could fit in the controller. End result: retrozone product for MUCH less money... and since my friend thinks snes is very much the same... if you do one, you can do any of them, i guess.

As for the N64 controller... well, in theory, it should be possible, since all these controls are similar to a degree. however, if noone's done it (properly) as of yet, there must be a reason why. My friend would know more about it, but until I speak with him, post up and links to technical docs for the n64 and controllers here, and I'll look at it and see if i have any ideas. my friends have all those games in thier college dorm, so when i next see them to attempt the Nes control thing, i can certainly play with the n64 idea...

I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said above, the Adaptoid is where it is at for N64 games. I used to know the guy who ran ZTNet (although I haven't seen him floating around in way too long), and mine is buried away somewhere, but once I move, I'll give it a shot brand new.

I used to have another device called the Magic Box PC, but in its first incarnation, I think it was Saturn, PSX and Dreamcast, no N64 support.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I posted a link to Retrozone in the old hub, I still plan on getting the FourScore and a couple of the Atari 2600 adapters (those ones will also play Atari 130/400/800/2600, Commodore 64, Sega Master System, and others). Just need the cash :( .

Hee, hee.....I got my adaptors today.

Right now I am playing "River Raid" with the original 2600 controller. :P

It's so Awsome! :D

The FourScore works great also.....anyone up for a Gauntlet party? JK :P

Hee, hee.....I got my adaptors today.

Right now I am playing "River Raid" with the original 2600 controller. :P

It's so Awsome! :D

The FourScore works great also.....anyone up for a Gauntlet party? JK :P

I'll play online emulation with anyone anytime they want over here. I want to test that Hamachi program that I really enjoy with some emulators anyways.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have a good source for new/used Intellivison II controllers? (the ones that unplug from the console)?

I had an original INTV that was really old, replaced the controllers and all was well but I ended up selling it because the game carts started to fail (trust me, i tried all the tricks to troubleshoot, just seemed the carts were getting too old).

I'd love to just sit down and play Frog Bog again with the real controller! :)

Anyone have a good source for new/used Intellivison II controllers? (the ones that unplug from the console)?

I had an original INTV that was really old, replaced the controllers and all was well but I ended up selling it because the game carts started to fail (trust me, i tried all the tricks to troubleshoot, just seemed the carts were getting too old).

I'd love to just sit down and play Frog Bog again with the real controller! :)

I have a couple, we should trade.

Of course, I think I owe you other trade items!