Help Retromags.com Fight Diseases

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

I have started a Retromags.com group on Folding@Home. I am donating my unused processor cycles from the Retromags.com FTP Server. It would be great if we could get some participants for this project. Below is a quote from Folding@Home's website.

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved

You can download the small program from Folding@Home's website. Go into the Configuration and enter your username and the Retromags.com team number is 54458. Lets help put an end to some of the worlds worse diseases by donating unused processor cycles to help solve these mathmatical equations.

Retromags.com Team Statistics!

• Retromags Curator

Oh your Soo Not beating me!

I just installed it on another computer I usually leave on 24/7

The Top 3 Users on Folding@Home under the Retromags.com Team get a free premium membership to this site for as long as they can hold on to one of those top 3 positions!

Memberships will be evaluated on the 1st of each month, Top 3 contributors (Must use same name as on this forum!)

Not to be a braggart, but I am totally dominating on this.

As of this post: MBJ: 37; Phillyman: 6.

My big question is: Where is everyone else? Don't you want to help cure cancer, Alzheimer's etc? It seriously has little to no impact on PC performance and you and your offspring will be doing yourself a favor in the long run as you may actually be able to benefit from this project in the future. Plus, it's fun to compete.

In case any of you have a PS3, that console will now run Folding@Home and it is supposed to process the work units MUCH faster than standard PCs.

I'm running on 7 PCs. One at home and 6 at school. (I was running on 9 but two of those were low end and needed all the resources that they could get.) I manage a research lab that has several PCs that only get used for a few hours a day. All of these machines have single core Pentium 4 processors that range from 2.8-3.0 Ghz and have from 256 MB to 2.25 GB of RAM. I'd feel like I was a bad person and that I'm cheating but it's for a good cause.

• Retromags Curator
I'm running on 7 PCs. One at home and 6 at school. (I was running on 9 but two of those were low end and needed all the resources that they could get.) I manage a research lab that has several PCs that only get used for a few hours a day. All of these machines have single core Pentium 4 processors that range from 2.8-3.0 Ghz and have from 256 MB to 2.25 GB of RAM. I'd feel like I was a bad person and that I'm cheating but it's for a good cause.

Nope its totally fine that your using multiple machines, I am using 2 machines myself

One of the machines that I was originally running on was a 6 year old PC with a 933 mhz Pentium III processor and 384 MB RAM. It finished a WU in about 5 days but it might have been slowing it down a bit so I had to stop running F@H on that one.

BTW: We are past 10,000 in the rankings now. (9,961 of 57,060) :grin:

Well, I don't think I'll be able to help out that much.

If I keep it at more than 40%, my system sounds like it's working overtime and simply doesn't slow down at all.

I just don't want to blow up my processor or anything. :unsure:

I'll keep it running out of principle, but I guess I won't be able to make much of a difference.

*edit*

The weird part is that it doesn't seem to matter if I put the CPU usage percentage on 10 or 100%, the meter keeps turning at the same rate. :blink:

Perhaps this depends on what kind of processor is used? Anyhow, at least the end date of the first WU isn't 104 days any more, but instead 9 days. So I can live with that. :D

• 5 months later...
In case any of you have a PS3, that console will now run Folding@Home and it is supposed to process the work units MUCH faster than standard PCs.

I've heard a lot of arguments in the console wars for any given console, but that has to be the first time I've heard that anyone say that the PS3 cures cancer... but for $600, it had better :P

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Folding software only uses a lot of your machine's processing power when you are AFK. Don't quote me on that, I only think that I read that somewhere.