Damn Thats A Big Heatsink

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

So i just recieved my ThermalTake Blue Orb II

enlargedpic18bh.jpg

ITS HUGGGGGE:lol:

I have no clue if i am gonna be able to fit it inside my case.......I took the motherboard and laid it in the case ......then placed the heatsink on top .......looks like its either gonna be touching the powersupply .......or its gonna be a milimeter too big

So on sunday ......I should be putting it together ......without screwing the mobo in place .....i am not gonna know if its gonna fit

So pray for me

• 2 months later...

The blue orb is actually rather quiet, it doesn't need to spin so fast because the heatsink is so huge, but those big heavy heatsinks tend to put a lot of stress on the motherboard unless they have mounting brackets to support the back of the board.

Water cooling is neat, but it's a lot of effort and money and a lot of things that can go wrong. Your pump can die, your water can spoil, your cat can claw through the pipes :P If you want to do liquid cooling, do like they did in the days of Cray supercomputers and submerge your entire computer in 3M Fluorinert liquid :)

The blue orb is actually rather quiet, it doesn't need to spin so fast because the heatsink is so huge, but those big heavy heatsinks tend to put a lot of stress on the motherboard unless they have mounting brackets to support the back of the board.

The Orb should come with mounting brackets strong enough to hold it up. The biggest concern is if you're going to MOVE the computer anywhere (like to a friends house, LAN party, etc). You MUST make sure you take precautions to secure the heatsink in place (some remove it entirely before transporting) or else you will cause damage. Nothing worse than showing up with a dead super computer.

Secondly, its overkill unless you're going to do some massive overclocking. If not, a good quality, smaller heatsink does just an effective job.

If the heatsink is too big to fit in your case, get out the most important device one could ever own if you're building your own computer: DREMEL. :)

• 4 weeks later...

anyone have small heatsinks/water coolings? as i posted in another thread, i will be adding 700 gb in 3 hds to a dell case... pray for me... found some things on tigerdirect.com that can cool the hard drives, attach to them... don't think anything else will fit into dell case... any other ideas???

(these things are 10 bucks apiece, not THAT expensive, so for 3 hds... like 30 bucks +ship... but with tiger direct discounts only being used on 1x of the item... prob like 5$ off... maybe 40 buck... w/e)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...