Computer Fans Are Too Loud

Alien7

I have a custom made pc, and it has two fans. They've become very lound over the past year or so.

Anyone know of any pc fans that are pretty quiet?

Maybe you shouldn't use a "custom made" computer. You can't trust those falty computers. Get a real computer.

Yeah, these fans are the case fans, and they glow blue in the dark. I guess I might have to go with plain black to get the quietness I want?

Thanks for your input, I will look on the Newegg and the fans you suggested.

It could also be that the fans you have are just wearing out, you could always try to find replacements.

nextfan has the dB (noise) ratings on all the fans, normal case fans range from 30-50dB. but you can find fans that are as low as 9dB perhaps you could find a LED fan in the lower ranges.

this might be enlightening as well if you want to eliminate noise:

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/How-to-build-Qui...000000001675454

I have 5 SCSI hard drives in 1 PC so they make a heck of a lot more noise than the fans :P my computer room sounds like a server room at a small company.

Also, (this may go without saying but I'll say it anyway) make sure that your computer case doesn't have a lot of dust clogging the vents. Whenever my machine starts to get nosier I find that cleaning it out helps. If the vents are clogged then the fan has to work a lot harder to pull in air and the result is more noise.

You need new fans, many advertise how not quiet they are. BTW I've found that cleaning fans makes them louder. You could add thin graphite grease to the fan to make it quiet. There are some tutorials on the internet on how to do this, it really brings the noise down.

• Retromags Curator
wow, you're so helpful there slink.... =/

Leave your predispositions elsewhere.

Which fans are you referring to alien? Case fans?

Regardless, I would recommend poking around http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...;name=Case-Fans and reading the reviews.

Slink is my girlfriends brother, but far be it from me to stop anyone from telling him to shut up

He made that comment because he knows I built her computer, but its the default fans that came with the case. I just gotta get her some better fans is all, Plus it doesnt help her computer is 5 feet from the bed :laughing:

Slink is my girlfriends brother, but far be it from me to stop anyone from telling him to shut up

He made that comment because he knows I built her computer, but its the default fans that came with the case. I just gotta get her some better fans is all, Plus it doesnt help her computer is 5 feet from the bed :laughing:

You can't prove that. I was adopted.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

they could just need a good cleaning... i find that in my media center i need to clean the fans every 6 months or so... build up of dust makes them louder. also sometimes they just need tweaking (by hand) to adjust for any scrapping of the blades...

anyways - that's my 2 cents

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Try a program called speedfan....

One of my work collegues has to work on a computer that has a fan like a hydralic drill, it spins up then when you power down the PC it goes 'CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK... GRRRRRNKKKK' all accompanied by this high pitched squeal like an unoiled fridge door.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I can relate to your dilemma. My system, which is actually close to 8 years old, started getting VERY noisy a year and a half ago - so much so that I'd literally get headaches if I didn't wear earplugs (which really cramped on my enjoyment of PC games).

Replacing the fans is a cheap solution that I can attest to. If you're looking for 80mm fans, the Vantec Stealth line is an efficient, quiet, and inexpensive way to go.

My PC is also equipped with an Arctic Cooling fan of the same size, which is nearly as silent as the Vantec Stealth. It clocks slightly fewer rotations per minute, but the upside is that it uses a fluid dynamic bearing, which lasts much longer than the Vantec Stealth's 2-ball bearing.

• 1 month later...
  • Retromags Curator

Including the heatsink fan, I have 5 fans in my computer. Needless to say it stays nice and cool, but it kind of sounds like a nuclear reactor coming online. Overall the fans I added are quite quiet, though they are only a year old.

If I were you, I'd either get new fans, or try what Gnash suggested. That, or you can build an acrylic case, remove all the fans, and submerge your computer (minus power supply and optical drive) in mineral oil, distilled water. Not terribly convenient, but all your geeky friends will find it fascinating :)

If you want quiet fans, get some that are 20dB or less (at 1m). Papst and Panasonic Panaflo are quite quiet. Thermaltake do some quiet ones, too. As a general rule, the larger the fans, the better. So, if your case uses 80mm fans, you'll find it has more high-pitched noise than a 92mm or 120mm fan. You might want to think about getting another case.

However, don't forget that silent usually means less airflow. The point of a fan is cooling.

The other thing is - you take one noisy element out, and you'll notice the next. Put a "silent" case fan in, and you'll notice the PSU is noisy, then the CPU, then the graphics card, then the Northbridge fan, then the hard drive.....