Nintendo Power Shutting Down?

MBJ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i read NP since day one, and i stopped reading shortly before Mortal Kombat 3 was released for the SNES. My subscription ran out, and i didn't bother renewing it. I picked up a new issue the other day and flipped through it at my local bookstore....

...it's amazing how alien the magazine feels now, technological and cultural differences aside. even as far as gaming magazines go, (which seems to be an uphill struggle at this point, versus, cheaper, quicker information online.) i think nintendo power thrived when it was really a one-system market...and even when sega got all upstart...and now that there's been a console war that's been going on for what feels like forever, it's one-sidedness, well. i don't know.

i know i'll miss it as far as the namesake, but...i don't know how i'd feel if it stopped based on it's current presentation as a mag. particularly since i've been detached from it before there was a 'rumored Ultra-64' on the rise.

I agree, it hasn't felt the same in a long time. I remember opening the 1st issue and being so excited as a kid knowing all these neat tricks to these very popular games. Back then, around here at least, there was only Nintendo. Everyone had one, and if you knew the tricks and tips, you were the man. That was when I was 8 or so. Now, with all these new systems, and the internet, I can see why Nintendo Power wouldn't be as "powerful" as it once was. But it would still be a shame to see it go.

I admit this is depressing. I started with the Nintendo fun club news letters (the Zelda cover one was my first issue) and was with Nintendo Power from issue 1, it was hands down was my fav magazine as a child. I agree that of late the magazine has gone south with a complete lack of enthusiasm that you used to get in those heady early days.

Now I feel like I gotta dig up my Nintendo Power hat pin.

Latest details from Zentendo:

Nintendo Power Licensed to Future US:

Nintendo of America, Inc., today posted a new job opening for a Licensing Manager for Nintendo Power. According to Nintendo's own job description, Nintendo Power will be turned over to Future US, the same publisher that is handling the upcoming E For All magazine as we reported earlier.

Future US was formerly known as Imagine Media, and has or is currently responsible for publishing Official Xbox Magazine, PSM: Independent PlayStation Magazine, PC Gamer, Maximum PC, Mac|Life (Formerly MacAddict), Future Snowboarding Magazine, Pregnancy, Snowboard Trade News, Guiitar World, Guitar One, Future Music, Guitar World Acoustic, Guitar World's Bass Guitar, Guitar World Legends and Revolver.

From the job description:

# Manages monthly Nintendo Power Magazine licensed to the new publisher, Future US Maintains close communication with Future US regarding editorial plan, production plan, and marketing plan

# Provides necessary material and/or information

# Manages approval process of magazine content

# Oversees the approval process with Future US, will be the point person between Future US and Nintendo of America Inc (NOA)

# Point of contact for requests for access to software, assets, or interview possibilities

# Coordination of annual marketing plan support program for Nintendo Power

# Often necessary to change duties, projects or direction on short notice

# Heavy work volume, fast-paced environment with fluctuating production requirements

# Periodic adjustments to work schedule and/or usual hours may be required

# Up to 15% travel

We've sent in a request for a statement, but of course at this hour Nintendo reps are still in bed so we'll have to wait until morning for further information. Lately Nintendo has been shaking up its long-standing community elements. Last month, the Nintendo staff announced their annual Camp Hyrule - a week-long virtual camp - would be reduced to nothing more than a contest and interactive flash map. Yesterday, Nintendo announced that their community forums, Nsider, would be closing down permanently on Monday, September 24th, 2007. Earlier this year it was made known that Nintendo Power would be drastically changing as it was confirmed the property would be outsourced, but until today no other details were known.