Phillyman

Phillyman's Work In Progress...

Stopped scanning until I can switch my scanner out on Friday, It keeps putting vertical lines down the pages. Right now I am working in the Wiki Section and going to be scanning posters and covers for the Nintendo Power">NP set tommorow :)

Nintendo Power">NP Cover 135

Nintendo Power">NP Cover 138

Nintendo Power">NP Cover 139

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 113

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 123

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 126

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 127

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 130

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 135

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 138

Nintendo Power">NP Poster 139

All Scanned :D

• Like 1

Now that the databases are nearing completion, my attention turns back to........SCANNING! :D

Atari Age Issue 5 (January/February 1983)

Status (Scanned)

post-1-0-78029200-1414293907.jpg

Odyssey Adventure Issue 3 (Summer 1982)

Status (Scanned)

post-1-0-60117800-1414293920.jpg

P.S.X. Issue 3 (March 1996)

Status (Scanned)

post-1-0-19385100-1414293927.jpg

Turbo Force Issue 4 (April 1993)

Status (Scanned)

post-1-0-70836000-1414293934.jpg

Game Players Sega Guide Issue 12 (October/November 1992)

Status (Scanned)

post-1-0-31672100-1414293914.jpg

You have to admit that the databases are reaching quite the impressive amount of content. Actually, in some ways I'm shocked that there aren't people filling it with links to unreputable websites or spam, or trolling it with fake content and information. I suppose it shows how good the - admittedly small - Retromags Community is.

I am eager to see what magazines you'll be scanning, Phillyman. Given the wide variety of stuff you've been sending out as part of the Retromags contest, I imagine that you must have quite the collection and assortment of magazines from various eras.

You have to admit that the databases are reaching quite the impressive amount of content. Actually, in some ways I'm shocked that there aren't people filling it with links to unreputable websites or spam, or trolling it with fake content and information. I suppose it shows how good the - admittedly small - Retromags Community is.

I am eager to see what magazines you'll be scanning, Phillyman. Given the wide variety of stuff you've been sending out as part of the Retromags contest, I imagine that you must have quite the collection and assortment of magazines from various eras.

Yes, the Magazine Database is growing in size each day. But I keep a very close eye on it for any signs of abuse. Considering that users have to sign up to Retromags in order to perform edits, it will be very easy to catch, ban and reverse any abuse that finds it's way into the system. You should have been here when we were using MediaWiki to try to create a Magazine Database. Since that system was completely separate from the forum software, we would forget about it and then find out that it was being spammed to death.

Yes, the Magazine Database is growing in size each day. But I keep a very close eye on it for any signs of abuse. Considering that users have to sign up to Retromags in order to perform edits, it will be very easy to catch, ban and reverse any abuse that finds it's way into the system. You should have been here when we were using MediaWiki to try to create a Magazine Database. Since that system was completely separate from the forum software, we would forget about it and then find out that it was being spammed to death.

That must have been a sight to see, and I'm sure it was very frustrating at the time. No spam - excellent. I'm quite pleased that it's not be spammed or abused, a close eye is an eye that is peeled. (this message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department, which brought this message to you)

I have to say that between just about everyone here, small in number though we are, the database is progressing marvelously.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By kitsunebi77
      I feel kind of dumb starting one of these threads. I doubt there's going to be a lot of overlap with what I scan and other people's collections, so it shouldn't be necessary to make my progress known to anyone.

However, I figured this would be a good place for me to ask some questions to more experienced members.

1st: I just uploaded my scan of Famitsu 158 here:

https://mega.nz/#!FA5DCYwS!Y1zBRmvWZQPq9AbWrmL9-VMLkWHUpcIAkZWc5MYHoIY and added the download link to the database page. However, I don't see any download link. Is that something someone else has to approve before it shows up? (edit: I accidentally posted a link requiring a key at first. I replaced it with an unrestricted link, but it still doesn't show up on the database page)

2nd: related to the first, how does one go about posting an uploaded mag in the new releases category? The Famitsu database is 60 pages long. Without a new release post or a listing in the download section (yeah, how about that?), no one is ever gonna stumble across my user link by browsing through 60 pages of mostly (for now) blank entries.

3rd: This relates to my scan of Famitsu #1 which I haven't uploaded yet. I want some opinions first: The original mag sells for hundreds of dollars (or, like the last time I saw it, in a 1400 issue collection for $25,000 lol). So scanning the original is not gonna happen. I bought a reproduction of the first issue. It's identical except for a gray border on the pages where there are occasionally notes of interest about the contents of the page. The reprint is half the physical dimensions of the real mag, but when scanning at 600dpi, it isn't really that big of a problem (although the actual printing quality might be a bit hurt because of it.) At any rate, I figure it's the best we'll ever have of a historically important issue.

Here's my problem/question: The cover of the reproduction is in bad shape. Not torn, but very faded and with some water damage. It was not the sort of thing fixable by mere clone stamping. For my own personal satisfaction, I created a nicer looking cover by repainting it (the cartoon graphics are very simple with no shading or gradients, so filling in solid colors works just fine). There's still some spaces around the Japanese text where the paint can't fix it, but overall it's far more pleasant to look at. Of course, it isn't an authentic representation of what was scanned (but then neither is using clone stamp or whatever to repair damage or blemishes.) For that reason, I also include the actual scanned cover as the page following the repainted cover.

When I upload it, should I leave the nice cover out or keep them both? Opinions? Hopefully the scan of 158 I linked to above shows what my scans will look like from now on. Issue 1 suffers in qulity a bit due to issues out of my control, but I'd like it to be presented as best as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By RetroDefense
      Hello all,
      My posts have seemed kind of nit-picky recently (missing magazines, missing scans, etc) so here's something a bit more positive.
      On deck to be preserved, Turbo Force #3 (January 1993):

If all goes well I'll be scanning more saddle-stitched magazines in the coming months. Perhaps with a focus on Video Games & Computer Entertainment but I'll likely mix things up to keep things interesting. I'll have a better idea once I have an opportunity to dig into my collection.
      Cheers,
      RetroDefense
    • By Sean697
      So I decided to help get our EGM collection complete, I acquired a lot of stuff and sent a lot to E-Day. But I am going to try and scan some of this stuff myself. And try my hand at editing. I purchased a Canon LiDE 220 scanner. It doesn't have a huge bed. But big enough for magazines.mbut it outputs excellent color and is fast. Uses LED lamp so no warmup times.
      My first issue I'm scanning is EGM 07 the Top Score issue with the codes. I've completed scanning. Now on to editing. I've messed around a it and found straightening and cropping to be pretty fast. And the clone stamp has been working well for fixing blemishes. The colors came out so good I'm not sure if I'll have to color correct much if at all. I'll probrably go through and crop and fix blemishes and straighten first. Then I'll post some images here to get some opinions on color correction options and contrast adjustments before app,using them. Any advice on Photoshop corrections would be appreciated ahead of time to get me started. Or just wait till I post some screenshots and give me some feed back.
      I'm scanning in 500 dpi because it's fairly quick with this scanner. When I'm done editing I plan to resize the images to 1600 pixels wide. Is this still a good standard to use. Should I do more or less. Files sizes maybe could get bigger with the times. But let me know what the site still reccomend and I'll go with that.
    • By amorri40
      I have listed these here in the hope that some kind soul has the time and patience to edit these (cropping etc) as I sadly don't have the time at the moment.

Note that you will need to click the download pdf button as the quality is much higher in the pdf than the pages you can see on the site.

Total Control 01
      The cover needs re-scanned as my scanner doesn't support the shiny silver:
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/Total%20Control/Total%20Control%2001%20(Publisher).pdf/#page/2 

PC Gamer (2002-Xmas) 117 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2002-Xmas)%20117%20(Future).pdf/#page/2

PC Gamer (2003-02) 119 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2003-02)%20119%20(Future).pdf/

PC Gamer (2004-07) 137 (Future)
      http://read.oldgamemags.com/Ali/Needs%20Edit/PCGamer/PC%20Gamer%20(2004-07)%20137%20(Future).pdf/

I will update this as I scan more
    • By E-Day
      I am going to attempt to use my old, slow flatbed scanner to scan:

GamePro Issue 90 (labeled 100) January 1997. I'm not sure how it will turn out - if it turns out - but we'll see!