Phillyman's Work In Progress...

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator
11 hours ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Phillyman doesn't throw anything away, he just puts loose pages into storage.  Still, better to get it right the first time.  And on that note, I want to point out that those of us using ADF scanners should be constantly vigilant against dust particles causing scan lines.  Dropping 50 pages into the ADF and letting it go without checking them carefully for scan lines is a recipe for disaster.  I've NEVER managed to scan a complete magazine without having to stop several times, clean the glass, and rescan pages that were affected thus.  I guess old magazines (or my room) are just too dusty to begin with.

In the past yes, I have discarded loose pages after scanning them. These days I do not, I instead put them back into a magazine bag loose, then put them into a plastic banker box, and once that plastic banker box is filled, I take it to my storage unit, and it goes on a shelf, that is covered with a boat tarp (just in case my storage unit has a leak). Each banker box is labeled and has a cheat sheet of all the loose magazines inside. Plus I have a spreadsheet online that tracks this as well.

• 3 months later...

Being able to scan 16 mags in a day really highlights the disparity in the amount of time it takes to scan a mag vs. the amount of time it takes to edit one. 😮

I owned (well, still do) that issue of PSM.  I've mentioned before that I'm more of a comic book fan than one of video games, and I think PSM appealed to me in its first couple of years because they got real comic artists to do the covers (not talentless hacks like whoever Gamepro always hired).  I can tell you at a glance that the cover of that issue you scanned (Metal Gear Solid) was drawn by Travis Charest. 

Fingers crossed for stuff that strikes my fancy in scans #17-100.😀

• Retromags Curator
6 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

By the way, those address labels are super-easy to remove with a heat gun.  I imagine you could use a hair dryer at close range and get them off as well.  No sense having a cover scan with a big ugly sticker blocking part of it if you don't have to.  🙂

I may try that, I never have good luck getting them off.....when I do....the glue residue left over is so bad that I feel as though a white box on the cover is better looking 😆

22 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

Being able to scan 16 mags in a day really highlights the disparity in the amount of time it takes to scan a mag vs. the amount of time it takes to edit one. 😮

Has anyone thought of  splitting up pages of a mag to edit them? To lighten the work.  That way we can have faster releases.

3 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

I may try that, I never have good luck getting them off.....when I do....the glue residue left over is so bad that I feel as though a white box on the cover is better looking 😆

Trying to remove them by hand will almost always end up with either part of the sticker still stuck to the page, or part of the page torn away with the sticker.  A heat gun allows them to be peeled away with no resistance.  There may be some discolored spots where the residue was stuck to the page, but that's usually pretty easy to get rid of using content aware fill so that you'd never even know there had been a sticker there.  The only time that doesn't work is if the discoloration is over a bunch of text, which would be a more complicated fix.

4 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

Has anyone thought of  splitting up pages of a mag to edit them? To lighten the work.  That way we can have faster releases.

This is not aimed at you, because you are a contributing member, but the only time this sort of suggestion usually gets brought up is by people who don't edit mags (thus not really understanding the process) and just want MOAR STUFF that they can download.

It doesn't really make sense if you think about it.  5 different people could each edit 200 pages.  They could all be working on separate 200-page magazines, resulting in 5 new releases.  Or, they could all be collaborating on different magazines, resulting in 1000 pages total being edited...which amounts to 5 new 200-page releases.  It's exactly the same amount of work.  The only way anyone's workload gets lightened is if someone else picks up their slack.

🤔 So 2 people on a single mag is slower? I mean a 200 mag solo edit takes weeks if not months (depending on person) to complete. How many people are up to edit that size of a mag anyways (but us). I mean if the pages are divided up at least we can release something at a reasonable time then to wait months. If they even bother to finish the job. I guess its a matter of how you get things done. Working with someone may not be your style.

My point is that pages are pages.  Two people on a single mag aren't slower than working separately - they're the exact same speed.

For example:

Let's say that you and I each edit one page per day.

If we were both working together on the same mags, we could release a 200-page magazine in exactly 100 days.  And exactly 100 days after that, we could release another 200-page magazine.  In other words, in 200 days, we could release 2 different magazines if we worked together.

Now suppose we were working separately on completely different 200-page magazines.  You could release one magazine after 200 days, and I could release a different magazine at the same time.  In other words, in 200 days, we could release 2 different magazines if we worked separately.

You see what I mean?  Exactly the same.

25 minutes ago, MigJmz said:

well i wouldnt team up if they can only do a page per day lol.

oh well its wishful thinking, i'll drop it

Obviously that was just a number that would make the example super-easy to understand.  You're free to arrange editing duties with multiple people however you like, so long as the end result is consistent and up to snuff.  I don't need that kind of headache in my life, but if you can find several other reliable people willing to work who won't require constant prodding, more power to you.

You might have to janken to see which one of you takes all the editing credit for the release, though.

903676_1.jpg

• Retromags Curator

The scans that come out of the Fujitsu need minimal work. Almost all the pages are straight and all that's needed is a smidge of cropping. I did hands off editing of two issues yesterday and it worked really well. There were only a few pages where I had to go back and do more editing work. So if the scans are consistent I can get these out pretty quickly. 

I just flipped through this thread and realized that all the stuff you've been scanning over the past couple of days was debound and prepped for scanning in August 2017.  That's a long time to have so many loose pages lying around.  You're lucky a strong wind didn't come along and make your life hell.😃

• Retromags Curator
55 minutes ago, kitsunebi77 said:

I just flipped through this thread and realized that all the stuff you've been scanning over the past couple of days was debound and prepped for scanning in August 2017.  That's a long time to have so many loose pages lying around.  You're lucky a strong wind didn't come along and make your life hell.😃

Correct, time gets away from me quickly and with a toddler and I have to keep things like this hidden away. Which is why they are stored in bins like this......

50646874_987119214819362_5048268713921347584_n.jpg

and as an extra guard, I have nylon straps (think like a book bag) that go around these to keep the lids on. These guys just got buried under toddler toys and other crap, but I am seriously tired of having magazines in every corner of my home, so that is why 2019 is the year that I burn out this Fujitsu Scansnap. Once that bin with the Computes is completely scanned (about 50% done now) that plastic bin of loose pages will head off to my storage unit and I will drop by Staples to buy another one to fill :P

• Retromags Curator

Scans #54 thru #68 were done today, and tomorrow I will aim to end the day at over 80 magazines scanned for February. I noticed that I am actually running out of preprepped magazines from that initial 100 post in this thread. So in order to hit my goal of 100 magazines scanned this month, I will need to grab some other magazines and prep them out for tomorrow and next week. :)

2019 Scans 54-68

2019Scans54-68.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phillyman said:

Just wait until 18 months from now when I ask for you to remaster them ;)

We're going to have to do this if you ever want to keep up with your competition (you know who I'm talking about.)  They recently "proudly" announced their 4TH rescan of one of their releases.  Pity the hundreds of still-unscanned donated mags that have been in their possession for over a decade...

In fact, stop all scanning of new mags.  No need to pick out 100 new mags.  Let's just figure out what the first 100 mags you ever scanned were, and just rescan those over and over.

• Retromags Curator
1 hour ago, kitsunebi77 said:

In fact, stop all scanning of new mags.  No need to pick out 100 new mags.  Let's just figure out what the first 100 mags you ever scanned were, and just rescan those over and over.

I do plan on redoing the Nintendo Powers that were done back in 2005-2010, because they are such a horrible quality, a 100 page magazines coming in at 65MB is unforgivable. But hey, back then we were on 80GB hard drives :P