Phillyman Experiments With Photo Editing

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

I heard a few suggestions from some members about the new scans looking somewhat washed out, I have found a nice program that I can batch edit photos. Its somewhere between Photoshop and MS Paint :P

Anyways How Does this look??? (will post more examples later)

BEFORE

before1800ux6.jpg

AFTER

after1800yk9.jpg

BEFORE

before2800gk7.jpg

AFTER

after2800xh9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure I like the difference; in both cases the colors seem oversaturated. In the first image, the reds are too strong, and in the second, the yellows seem overpowered.

Other than possibly some sharpening, I don't think the originally scanned images need much work done (well, if the vertical lines could be eliminated, that would of course be great).

On the whole, I wouldn't mess with color that much; just try to smooth out scuff marks, creases, things like that - leave color profiles for the user to decide (very dependent on display settings anyway). Or at the very least, look at the image on 3 or more displays (not all configured by yourself) to make sure they still look good.

Just my 2 cents, but I'm not sure I like the difference; in both cases the colors seem oversaturated. In the first image, the reds are too strong, and in the second, the yellows seem overpowered.

Other than possibly some sharpening, I don't think the originally scanned images need much work done (well, if the vertical lines could be eliminated, that would of course be great).

On the whole, I wouldn't mess with color that much; just try to smooth out scuff marks, creases, things like that - leave color profiles for the user to decide (very dependent on display settings anyway). Or at the very least, look at the image on 3 or more displays (not all configured by yourself) to make sure they still look good.

Those are very good points.

I myself believe it's best to keep the scans as close to the original as possible.

Not trying to create web-like pages or anything, but try to capture the essence of an actual magazine.

Over-editing might seem them look very nice, but at the same time, a lot of those pages just come out feeling wrong.

I re-edited a couple of magazines I'd done before to try and follow the suggestions in another post on this board.

Tinkering with brightness and saturation, as well as using the colour fill tool to create very clean pages.

But in the end the positives didn't outweigh the negatives, so I went back to my originals.

And if someone does like them at a higher contrast or with more colour saturation or whatever, they can indeed change a couple of CDisplay settings and set them exactly the way they like them.

;)