Meppi's Work In Progress...

meppi

• 1 month later...

Official Sega Saturn Magazine 022 - august 1997 (UK)

OSSM022.jpg

Wiki page here.

Download page here.

Rapidshare link

As you may have noticed this issue is the first one I've done in a width of 1440 pixels instead of 1280.

All this to ensure the quality is the best it can be.

I've also updated 5 other magazines which are now in the same quality.

To make things clear, I did not upscale those 5 magazines, they were resized from the original PSD files so there is no loss in quality whatsoever. There is actually an increase. ;)

The mags are:

NeoGeo Freak 1996 Vol.7 - july (JAPAN)

NeoGeo Freak Tokyo Game Show 2005 Special (JAPAN)

Official Sega Saturn Magazine 019 - may 1997 (UK)

Official Sega Saturn Magazine 020 - june 1997 (UK)

Official Sega Saturn Magazine 021 - july 1997 (UK)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Wow, great stuff. It must be such hard work to do. I can barely scan a straight fanzine with my scanner. Come and visit me here in Koblenz,DE, I have over 2000 mostly UK gaming magazines which need to be scanned and put online (80s, 90s).

Well, the scanning part is actually the easiest.

It's the editing and cleaning up that takes ages. Sometimes up to 45 minutes for a single page if it's really messed up. :mellow:

I wish I had a collection like yours. I'm guessing I have a couple of hundred magazines myself.

Seeing as we're about a 3-4 hour car drive apart, it will be hard to come over for a visit. ;)

Sad to hear that. But you still have loads of others, so it's not all bad.

BTW.

I've just found out that page 89 was still a PSD file instead of a regular JPG.

So I've taken the file offline and I'm uploading a corrected version as we speak.

Once the file is uploaded, I'll correct the link.

Sorry for the trouble. :(

People who have already downloaded it, please do so again in an hour or so. Everything should be fixed by then.

• 2 weeks later...

MAXIMUM 001 - 1995 (UK)

MAXIMUM001.jpg

Wiki page here.

Download page here.

Rapidshare link

This is the first in a series of re-scans I'm doing for all the Maximum magazines.

Besides the pages being 1440 wide now instead of 1280, they also have been color corrected.

These are brand new scans of the issues, so not just cleaned up ones from last time.

The magazines have been debinded to up the quality of the scans even more.

These are the definite editions of the Maximum magazines, so for everyone who loves them as much as I do it's a must to download.

• Like 1

Yeah, it went from just about 100MB to almost 160MB.

But I feel it's definitely worth it. I experimented with saving them at 100% instead of 90, but I could barely notice a difference in clarity and the size exploded to 2-3 times the original ones.

So I took the best of both worlds into consideration and this is the result.

The only thing I regret is that no matter how I try, these rescans will always eat up time that could have otherwise be spent doing unscanned mags.

But when I see that the digital version now looks just as vibrant and detailed as the original copy, I can't say I'm sorry I'm taking this road. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have started using new editing techniques which work much better on either black or white pages, this way black pages will actually be black and not grey and white ones won't have any of the nasty yellowing that sometimes can be found around the edges of certain pages.

I will also take greater care about finding and removing dust particles as well as other spots and stuff that shouldn't be on there.

And finally thanks to the new "Vibrance" tool in CS4 and the correct settings at which this will be used, the colours and overall quality of the magazines will be as close tot the original as I can possibly make them.

You might have noticed that the saturation process of before did quite a good job of making the pages look vibrant, but it only seemed to target the warm colour spectrum.

It also for some reason seemed to eat away a bit of the detail in certain areas as well as give the whole page a bit of an overexposed feel. This is all gone now.

Now with the combination of a lower saturation level (8 instead of 20) along with a 50% Vibrance boost, the full spectrum finally gets the attention it deserves.

And I must say they look breathtaking.

I can in all honesty say that I believe that I can't make them look any better than they are turning out right now.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps in 5-10 years I could upload the scans without having to resize them as I'm keeping the original PSD files as well. But at thins point in time it's all but practical to upload magazines which are between 1.5 and 3 Gig large. ;)

You will be able to tell them apart from the new thank you page at the end of the magazine

At the bottom right of which page I will add a date in grey.

That way you can check which version you have. The ones without a date are the old ones, and in the unlikely event that I made a mistake with one of the upcoming issues it will also be easier to know if you should update a magazine or not.

I'll put the release date of each issue in first post of my Work in progress thread as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Don't mind me, just waiting on the full set of Maximum to be redone... :unsure:

Oops, looks like I hit the quote button on my first post instead of the edit button... :D

Sorry about that. I just meant to put OSSM27 up to 51 pages from 30 or so since it's the first day I have started editing scans again after being sick for 2 weeks.

I didn't even know there was someone looking forward to the rescans of MAXIMUM!

I love working on that magazine since it's such a great read from the very first to the very last page.

I'll be moving up the MAXIMUM scans a bit then. ;)

Oops, looks like I hit the quote button on my first post instead of the edit button... :D

Sorry about that. I just meant to put OSSM27 up to 51 pages from 30 or so since it's the first day I have started editing scans again after being sick for 2 weeks.

I didn't even know there was someone looking forward to the rescans of MAXIMUM!

I love working on that magazine since it's such a great read from the very first to the very last page.

I'll be moving up the MAXIMUM scans a bit then. ;)

Well thank you, it is very much a happy time for me now! Thank you for doing Maximum, I just wish they would have had a run similar to Gamefan (I noticed that there are a couple of people that worked on both like Hodgeson I think is his name, he was Chief Hambleton in GF). Wonderful mag.

I was just about to go and burn the Maximums that you had up before (1220 or so resolution) to DVD for archiving, hard drive is making funny noises, been there before, start backing up now!!!! lol Then I saw the post about redoing them...Very cool indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

MAXIMUM The Video Game Magazine Issue 2 - november 1995 (UK)

MAXIMUM002.jpg

Wiki page here.

Download page here.

Rapidshare link

This is the second in a series of re-scans I'm doing for all the Maximum magazines.

Besides the pages being 1440 wide now instead of 1280, they also have been color corrected.

These are brand new scans of the issues, so not just cleaned up ones from last time.

The magazines have been debinded to up the quality of the scans even more.

You might notice than on pages 88 and 89 certain text and images appear to run out a bit. But this is apparently due to printing as both of my copies of this magazine have the exact same problem on those pages. So it's not a fault in scanning or editing.

These are the definite editions of the Maximum magazines, so for everyone who loves them as much as I do it's a must to download.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...