Auctions Won By Retromags

Phillyman

Can't wait to see all those covers i the Gallery, just let me know what categories I need to create.

Yeah, that's the problem with Japanese mags - most of them don't number their issues and almost all of them are published more often than monthly, but not always consistently, so adding them to the database requires a lot of time to research *cough*famitsu*cough*.

Dengeki Playstation is simple enough (you can see the vol. # in the photos), but Dengeki Nintendo (of which those N64 issues are a part of) has changed its title several times and doesn't include numbers for the most part. Nor does the single issue of Playstation Magazine pictured above, nor a lot of other random Japanese mags I've picked up in the past. Most of them just print a date, and possibly a volume/issue number that starts over every year (something like "1994, No.17"), so if you don't know when the mag started and what time it switched from weekly to biweekly and back again, creating an accurate database is nearly impossible.

I'm assuming PC Games is in the db already? Haven't checked. I get excited anytime an auction with English mags pops up, because so far, I've always been the ONLY person to bid on them lol.

Yeah, that's the problem with Japanese mags - most of them don't number their issues and almost all of them are published more often than monthly, but not always consistently, so adding them to the database requires a lot of time to research *cough*famitsu*cough*.

Dengeki Playstation is simple enough (you can see the vol. # in the photos), but Dengeki Nintendo (of which those N64 issues are a part of) has changed its title several times and doesn't include numbers for the most part. Nor does the single issue of Playstation Magazine pictured above, nor a lot of other random Japanese mags I've picked up in the past. Most of them just print a date, and possibly a volume/issue number that starts over every year (something like "1994, No.17"), so if you don't know when the mag started and what time it switched from weekly to biweekly and back again, creating an accurate database is nearly impossible.

I'm assuming PC Games is in the db already? Haven't checked. I get excited anytime an auction with English mags pops up, because so far, I've always been the ONLY person to bid on them lol.

You ever thought about finding an expert in Japan to ask? Or maybe a book off or something would have a publication list?

I looked at this thread and fainted!

PC Games is not in the database yet. There were two runs and the first run was printed irregularly, so it will not be easy. Maybe impossible to figure out what issues exist. I have a few from both the first and last runs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

Here I am steering clear of scanning USA mags or letting you host them and here you are, encroaching on my territory. This means WAR dammit .... WAR I tell you!!! :P

I think I now see the genius behind Phillyman sending me those magazines to scan. He knows that anything I scan is fair game for you to put on OGM. And thus peace is maintained.

Well played, Phillyman.

Edited by marktrade
  • Like 1

Seriously though, I have hundreds of UK mags waiting for the time I can get around to scanning them. You scanning a few will save me some time for sure ;)

If some brand new site popped up tomorrow with scans of everything ever, I know I sure as hell wouldn't lose any sleep over not having done it all myself. Well, that's not true - I'd probably lose some sleep that first night, but only because I'd be throwing an all-night "never have to scan again" party.

The problem is that shedloads of UK mags have been scanned in the past by Mort but they just aren't very good.

In all fairness to him scanners in the day were , well, rubbish really, compared to todays monsters like the one marktrade has in his arsenal and I also think he was just wanting to pump them out in a small size due to bandwidth restrictions of the day so his 20-30mb files are never going to compare to our 200-400mb sized files in quality, the distribution of which is made possible by todays broadband. I have a lot of respect for his tenacity taking on such a job in those days. Hell, it's still a mission today right?

However, marktrade makes a good point in his thread about scanning your own mags. No-one on another site can come bitchin' at you for 'stealing' their work if you scan your own mags. Or having to deal with watermarks or any other unsavory processes someone else might apply thinking they are making it better. Meppi's work over at OoPA is an example. He spends what I would term an inordinate amount of time cleaning them up to the point where they look like brand new digital files which is fine. He can do absolutely whatever he feels like with his scans. However, I feel that as I am scanning paper based mags that they should look like, well, copies of paper based mags as for me they reflect what I had in my hands during the day, paper weave and all. Scanning your own mags allows you to process them to your own satisfaction and if someone else doesn't like them well, too bad.

• Retromags Curator

Here I am steering clear of scanning USA mags or letting you host them and here you are, encroaching on my territory. This means WAR dammit .... WAR I tell you!!! :P

haha, at nearly $15 per magazine shipped....you have nothing to worry about :) I just wanted to show that we are not strictly USA only.

I think I now see the genius behind Phillyman sending me those magazines to scan. He knows that anything I scan is fair game for you to put on OGM. And thus peace is maintained.

Well played, Phillyman.

Thanks :) I should have another box coming your way soon. Meanwhile I am queuing up a huge set of magazines to scan myself. I may actually run out of magazines and that is awesome!

• 3 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

Filling in some holes in the Game Players, look for the following issues shortly....

Heavy Metal

Earthworm

Cammy vs Balrog

Max Carnage

Donkey Kong Country

32X

Gloves are Off

Evermore

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322188535734

Game Players Nintendo Sega Video Game Magazine Lot of 14. I apologize for any glare in the pictures and any color fluctuations are the fault of the camera. Includes: 1 issue from 1993 (not sure which month)-April 1994 through December 1994-January, February, April, and May 1995. All have some cover wear. Some were gently read and some appear not to have been read. Inside pages are nice/flat. No stray writing or marks. The April 1994 issue has tape on the spine. The June 1994 issue has a seam tear on the spine. Please check my auctions for dolls, toys, pottery, etc. I will gladly combine shipping whenever possible. Payment is appreciated within 3 days. US and International buyers, the shipping calculator should be correct. I am not responsible for Customs delays or fees. All buyers receive an email when the item is shipped and tracking numbers are entered. All items ship within 1 business day. Thank you.

post-1-0-78335400-1468934514.jpg

post-1-0-17256600-1468934515.jpg

• Like 1

Filling in some holes in the Game Players, look for the following issues shortly....

oh my god if i had seen that issue with Sonic and Mega Man on the cover while it was on the newsstand i would have snatched it up immediately and treasured it forever.