Phillyman

Auctions Won By Retromags

Just now, Ethereal Dragonz said:

It looks in much better condition than the one I had. I wouldn't mind seeing it given the proper Retromags restoration at some point ;-).

At the price I just paid, I am wondering its true condition, because it only cost me $25 w/free shipping. So while it looks fine, I wont know until I get my hands on it. Many times I find missing pages or pages with items cut out.

Just now, Phillyman said:

Understood, just saying it would be silly for Retromags to NOT scan something because its available elsewhere. I see some Nintendo Powers that have been scanned elsewhere, but to leave those holes in our collection.....well that will just lead to questions about why we are not scanning them, and i am not for directing people to 6 other websites when we can just scan those mags ourselves. Maybe they are not a huge priority, but I would like to strive for complete collections here.....like we did for Sega Visions and a few others.

I disagree, but then I'm of the opinion that readable is just fine.  And an unedited or roughly edited mag is still much more readable than a mag that hasn't been scanned at all.  So that's where I choose to put my efforts.  I can see the want for completion, but we're tens of thousands of scans away from ever getting there - it ain't gonna happen.  So I'd rather scan something for the first time rather than make sure every magazine hosting site has an exclusive copy of the same magazine.

Don't worry, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  Just stating my own philosophy on the matter.

• Like 1

Just now, kitsunebi77 said:

I disagree, but then I'm of the opinion that readable is just fine.  And an unedited or roughly edited mag is still much more readable than a mag that hasn't been scanned at all.  So that's where I choose to put my efforts.  I can see the want for completion, but we're tens of thousands of scans away from ever getting there - it ain't gonna happen.  So I'd rather scan something for the first time rather than make sure every magazine hosting site has an exclusive copy of the same magazine.

Don't worry, I don't expect everyone to agree with me.  Just stating my own philosophy on the matter.

Nah I get it, and I do put a priority on items that have not been scanned at all. But when it comes to premier issues, they tend to jump the line in my list. Again its great that its over at Archive, but as we saw with the Nintendo Powers, Archive is not beyond dropping items if requested. Not saying we would act differently, but if we just uploaded everything over there, we would have been in the same situation as when MegaUpload just up and disappeared and we had 1000+ broken links.

I have control over Retromags, any other site could up and disappear tomorrow for all I know. Look at how many magazines and guides disappeared when UnderGround Gamer went away a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

Not saying we would act differently, but if we just uploaded everything over there, we would have been in the same situation as when MegaUpload just up and disappeared and we had 1000+ broken links.

I would never suggest we upload anything to archive.  You're right - RM is the only place we have control, and that applies to the quality of what we host, as well, allowing us to create a brand of sorts.  But I would never turn my nose up at downloading a scan from archive or anywhere else, either.  If they disappear someday in the future, maybe THEN I would consider scanning some of the mags they used to host.

But I hear ya on the "1st issue" business.

Speaking on issue #1's here is the copy of The Superfamicom #1 that I will scan and edit until it meets Retromags requirements.

It will be my goal in the first half of next year.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1